Thread: Noob experience with OzTiVo

Noob experience with OzTiVo

Morning,
    Just thought I would let you know about my experience in getting a Philips Series One HDR100 up and running with OzTiVo and using Dial Up.

I brought my TiVo from the US for US$10 (AU$75 shipping), waited 3 weeks for it to arrive and then waited another 3 weeks before I could play with it as I was shipped out to New Zealand for work. It arrived, without a remote, IR Blaster, power cable, but at least it arrived, and I found that I could use my old Ipaq with Nevo software as a remote so at least it was not all bad news.

My first attempted failed miserably, so did my 2nd, 3rd...... 12th attempt, I could not get it to dial home, so I made a simple serial cable, plugged it in and after realising that my PC had closed the serial port, started afresh. This time I updated the installer software to 1.24 and reinstalled the image. I found that using the 1.6.2 CD and configuring Modem support, it had not configured anything, so by following the instructions on getting Modem to work I found it still would not dial in. Then I made a break through and found that the phone cable I was using was not plugged in, as it was disconnected when I removed the ADSL from the fone port (have Foxtel and it dials in to buy FBO) So connecting it direct and I got past the first Home Call, I was relieved that I had not brought a lemon. The second Home Call failed, but that was because the missus touched the fone cable, but after a second attempt (leaving the cat in the front room and me taking the missus out to dinner) it worked. I know have a fully functional OzTiVo install, all it took was a couple of hours of setup, so now I can go and buy a spare remote and I am sorted.

However I am not sure as to why the Network config did not stick and I am concerned that even now it will still have ,#4xx as the Dial Prefix which will stop it from dialing up in future. Does anybody know how I can get it to stay in Modem mode?

Edit etc/oztivo.conf

Make sure the line that say's "nic=" has "Modem" after it (note Capital M).

Save the file then reboot. the dial prefix should be gone and daily calls should work.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!