Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Daily call fails - service unavailable

All seems to be working fine, Peter. Case closed, I think. Thanks again for your help.

Great.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Missed some of my usual shows this week. On investigation, TiVo had not made a successful call since September 27. So following the procedure from last time, I established that I am now on proxy4 (rather than proxy3.mel.dft.com.au). How annoying! Especially after my ISP maintains that I am NOT being proxied and that none of this could POSSIBLY be their fault. Anyway, I have edited the emuProxyZA.conf file to reflect the change and everything now works again. I have communicated my displeasure to my ISP (aaNet) and will post their response if it's worth reading.

Just one more thought... If, as I anticipate, aaNet are less than helpful, is there a way I can have the TiVo alert me after ONE failed call rather than the default number?

Only by writing a program to do that for you.

But realistically checking your TiVo once a week each Saturday should give a weeks worths of data.

Glad you have learned enough to solve to problem yourself, I haven't heard anyone else who is being proxied need to adjust their setting due to a change of proxy.

So hopefully it's rare issue.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

They tell me that the proxy is subject to change at any time for load balancing, which I suppose means that my TiVo is subject to fail to connect at the same time. Here is the tech support reply. This one has an air of finality to it. I would be interested in your comments. Thanks and regards, Geoff.

"Unfortunately the problem you are experiencing is not on our end, as you demonstrated when adding the proxy server to the conf file it allows it to work. The proxy server itself can resolve MTU issues which could be causing the problem here, basically the Proxy connects to a large pipe for it's data so MTU conflicts with servers outside our network wont be an issue, but if you bypass the proxy then you're being routed straight onto that connection and thus problems with MTU, setup of your hardware and things like that can cause the problems you are experiencing. Unfortunately it is not something within our control to resolve as the issue isnt coming from our end. As explained to you you are simply having your data routed directly to you it's not passing through the proxy server first. When you add the proxy server to the conf file it puts your connection back to data going through the proxy server first."

Finally, this:

"Unfortunately there is nothing more that we can do to resolve the issue here, numerous things can be causing the problem issues from the server you are connecting to for example, as you are getting an uncached connection to the internet it is not a problem coming from our end. I would suggest talking to the people that run the server for your TiVo or you can also try with the aaNet forums. Adding the proxy server is mearly just relieving you of issues continuing to happen. As stated it is not a problem being caused on our end. If you require any further assistance as suggested try talking to the people that run the server or the aaNet members forums"

LOL! Full marks to them for shifting the blame.

You have to remember that it is not in the interests of all these el cheapo ISP's like aaNet, TPG and others to not proxy as it saves them a heap in international traffic data costs. It maximises their bottom line which is good for them but not for the end user, and is partly the reason why these ISP's can offer lots of monthly data allowance as the proxy offsets this.

There are still proxy issues with aaNet. You only have to go to www.whirlpool.net.au and do a search for "proxy" in their aaNet forum area to see that there are people not enjoying the experience of being behind an aaNet proxy.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Unfortunately the only options are:
    1. aaNet to exclude minnie from all it's proxies
    2. Stay with aaNet and keep fiddling with the conf file.
    3. Leave aaNet for a better ISP.

Peter

Option 3!

I can't even be bothered replying to this email. They have still never suggested why it might have suddenly stopped working, or (as I asked in my last - and final - email) why it works through other ISPs. The "cracked record" response is totally infuriating! Anyone suggest a reasonably priced ISP who won't give me this grief?

"I cannot tell you why it stopped working at all as it's something that is beyond our control to cause. As it has been explained to you we have no issues that would cause problems with this type of connection, you are getting a direct connection to the server for your TiVo it is not going through the proxy at all. When you add the proxy server to the conf file it fixes what ever technical issue you have which is not from our end as if it was even that would not work. Unfortunately there is nothing more I can do to assist you, I recommended you speak with the support people for the server and to consult the aaNet members forums as it is clearly an issue that is not coming from our end as has been explained."