Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to get monitorIP to send email

Unable to get monitorIP to send email

I have been trying to get monitorIP.tcl (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showpos...5&postcount=25) to work but am getting "couldn't open socket: connection timed out" error messages when running monitorIP from bash.
    I have had it running some time ago but, as luck would have it, I tried this time to set it up last weekend when xtra were changing over to the advanced(?) bubble mail system.
    My suspicion is that the SMTP mail needs password authentication but the script does not allow for this.
    The above would also probably apply to those using Dailymail.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I have had it running some time ago but, as luck would have it, I tried this time to set it up last weekend when xtra were changing over to the advanced(?) bubble mail system.
    My suspicion is that the SMTP mail needs password authentication but the script does not allow for this.
    Xtra switched to requiring authentication a little while ago.
    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4150-7780758,00.html

The only solution I can think of it to run a simple mail server on your home machine.

This would presumably require the operation of a PC as well which defeats the point of monitorIP.
    Is there any way that a password can be added to the script?

Quote Originally Posted by Wibble View Post
    The only solution I can think of it to run a simple mail server on your home machine.
    Another suggestion would be to move to another ISP as in my experience Xtra has had email delivery issues for the last couple of years... hopefully the changes over the last few months will go towards resolving this, but for many people there are other choices.

Is there any way that a password can be added to the script?
    Very unlikely. The password is not the problem. Those connections require ssl. As far as I know the tivo does not have any ssl libraries.

Why not just use the dyndns script or no-ip.com client?
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...edRemoteAccess

Success

I have got monitorIP working,
    The IP address for Xtra's mail server has changed (I have also had to find another source for the myipserver address).
    There is no authentication provided you use your main account name as the sender.

Quote Originally Posted by catdog View Post
    Why not just use the dyndns script or no-ip.com client?
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...edRemoteAccess
    The main reason for using mionitorIP is that I am less dependent on an external service.

Nice script thanks to Thomson

The main reason for using mionitorIP is that I am less dependent on an external service.
    Hehe - from the stories on the news at the moment, I would suspect that dyndns is much more reliable than xtra's mail servers!
    (Although I am not a xtra customer, so don't know first hand how bad it really is).

I have got monitorIP working,
    The IP address for Xtra's mail server has changed (I have also had to find another source for the myipserver address).
    There is no authentication provided you use your main account name as the sender.
    Hey Islander, how did you do this? I've got an address for the smtp server for xtra, but still can't get it working, and the smtp server that i have doesn't seem to be running on port 25 and does seem to require SSL.

To make the script work I used 210.54.141.2 as the mailserver address (ping smtp.xtra.co.nz) and used my main email address for the domain and sender address ie. xxxx@xtra.co.nz.

In my case I used my email address for the recipient address as well as I am sending the emails to myself.

Hope this helps.