Thread: Slingbox - Viewing my TiVo anywhere via the internet

Slingbox - Viewing my TiVo anywhere via the internet

I know Slingboxes have been talked about (at least once) in OZTiVo General Chat, but maybe us Kiwi's don't go there much. Anyway...

What I'm talking about is streaming your TiVo (or whatever) on the internet (or just around the house). Info found here:
    http://us.slingmedia.com/page/slingboxpro.html

I got a Slingbox PRO (I don't really know why I bought that model when an AV would do, but hey!),
    It was delivered this afternoon (NZ$298 all up) and it just plugged right in with no compatibility issues.
    110v... BAH! , NTSC .... BAH! .... I spit gobs in your eye!

Anyway, for what it purports to be, it’s very cool. Now to find a use for it...
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

one cool use for it (apart from it's main purpose of watching shows while you are traveling), is for watching and controlling a TiVo from anywhere in or around the home via a laptop (In a lounge chair by the pool maybe).

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanOffShotgun View Post
    Anyway, for what it purports to be, it’s very cool. Now to find a use for it...
    It seems to me like the kind of device which could be used to bring in a perfectly legal and paid for feed from elsewhere. Where Sky and their monopoly don't reign supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz View Post
    It seems to me like the kind of device which could be used to bring in a perfectly legal and paid for feed from elsewhere. Where Sky and their monopoly don't reign supreme.
    Yes... a couple of years back I had access to a unit in the US when I was sorting out a software issue. It was pretty neat and if you did not mind the traffic costs there were are whole heap of channels on offer (it was a DirecTV setup with 700+ channels). Of course there was nothing worth watching other than US-centric news broadcasts.

Howdy,
    Long time no hear eh Thomson?!
    You must have been married a while now 'cos you're finally back on the forum ... old habits die hard (they say). Any day now we'll see a new TWP release! (maybe) ... heh heh just jealous.

Anyway, it's been a while since we bought the SlingBox and I can now report ... we actually use it plenty:
    • On a laptop anywhere round the house as was suggested
    • In a small window watching sport while using the computer for other 'work'
    • A friend has used it while in hotels around the country for work (I don't get out much)

Just a bit of fun really.

Sean.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz View Post
    Hmm yep if only you can find someone in another country to do this for you..
    I have done this http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=16
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...