Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IR Codes

excellent Bruce, have put a link to it on my howto.
    I hope you dont mind me linking and using your name

cheers mate

that's cool

Theres a standard General Instrument code that works for Saturn's 2200 and 3300 decoders (look on the bottom to see what model you have) the code is
    10006 Works great. I'm still to see if this works on the older models.

Looks like I had it easy for now. Digital Cable still to come, and an unsupported digital box

IR Codes for Motorola DTH325-4

Hi,

I have created a code for this box which I have to decode Sky with.

www.fuzionnet.com/Tivo/MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl

Done using the tivo to capture, used a Palm Pilot (Omniremote) to get Frequency.

Works for me, hope they do for you if you need them.

Steve

irtest to send?

Anybody had success with this? The reddot folks reference sending the codes thus:

/sbin/irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -- (code here)

But in testing I consistently get "Cannot find microcontroller on /dev/ttyS0". I can of course kill MyWorld, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a cmd line way of sending an ir command to the STB.

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    Anybody had success with this? The reddot folks reference sending the codes thus:

/sbin/irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -- (code here)

But in testing I consistently get "Cannot find microcontroller on /dev/ttyS0". I can of course kill MyWorld, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a cmd line way of sending an ir command to the STB.
    Just to confirm you are using /dev/ttyS0 (thats Zero not Oh, and S must be capitalised, check also that there is a space between -t and /dev/tty...).

Also, the UK folks had a lot of trouble getting this to work properly, so the IO redirections > and >& are important I believe or it may not work right.

Also, some UK folks reported that it only seems to work properly when doing this from a bash prompt on the serial port [rather than over the Ethernet via telnet].

I know the /sbin/irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -v etc I did last week worked fine on my UK TiVo.

I tried this command on my UK TiVo from a Telnet session:
    /sbin/irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -- 0 47 34 2 514 259 33 32 33 32 33 96 33 32 33 32 33 32 33 32 33 96 33 32 33 32 33 96 33 96 33 96 33 96 33 32 33 32 33 32 33 96 33 32 33 32 33 32 33 96 33 32 33 32 33 96 33 32 33 96 33 96 33 96 33 32 3 3 96 33 96 33 2424 514 128 33 5529
    and it seemed to work [didn't report any errors like you said you got], it only echoed back the Mirocontroller firmware (microcode) version (00034).

The above string is "digit 9" for my Sky Decoder and needs to be one long line.

I found that the string to be sent (0 47 ...) must not be enclosed in single or double quotes or I got a message about Missing Tivo Format string.
    Maybe try the above and see what happens in your case.

Also, heres a ls -l of my /dev/ttyS* files:
    crw-r--r-- 1 0 0 4, 64 Apr 12 14:20 /dev/ttyS0
    crw-r--r-- 1 0 0 4, 65 Jan 20 2003 /dev/ttyS1
    crw-r--r-- 1 0 0 4, 66 Jan 20 2003 /dev/ttyS2
    crw-r--r-- 1 0 0 4, 67 Apr 4 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
    If your /dev/ttyS0 does not have Major/Minor numbers of 4 & 64 resp. try using the device in your /dev folder that does - as there may be naming differences between the UK Tivo software and the V3 Tivo software.

Very odd, Number6... I was doing precisely the same thing (except that the ir code is different of course) and getting the errors. I did notice that if I kill MyWorld I get the microcontroller version response, but of course nothing gets sent out the irblaster.

Here's my ls -l

[TiVo [p0] ~]# ls -l /dev/ttyS*
    crw-rw-rw- 1 0 0 4, 64 Apr 12 14:29 /dev/ttyS0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 0 0 4, 65 Jun 8 2002 /dev/ttyS1
    crw-rw-rw- 1 0 0 4, 66 Jun 8 2002 /dev/ttyS2
    crw-rw-rw- 1 0 0 4, 67 Apr 12 13:23 /dev/ttyS3
    And when capturing ir codes I was certainly using ttyS0. I think perhaps there's some sort of sw difference between the US and UK models causing pain. This is of course bad, because I am looking at modifying those reddot scripts to deal with the PIN.

What brought all of this up in the first place is getting a value for the Sky enter key (it didn't exist in the code list I got from Daniel oh those many months back). I have the value from following the ir howto on minnie, but it's useless without a way of invoking it...

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    Very odd, Number6... I was doing precisely the same thing (except that the ir code is different of course) and getting the errors. I did notice that if I kill MyWorld I get the microcontroller version response, but of course nothing gets sent out the irblaster.

Here's my ls -l

And when capturing ir codes I was certainly using ttyS0. I think perhaps there's some sort of sw difference between the US and UK models causing pain. This is of course bad, because I am looking at modifying those reddot scripts to deal with the PIN.

What brought all of this up in the first place is getting a value for the Sky enter key (it didn't exist in the code list I got from Daniel oh those many months back). I have the value from following the ir howto on minnie, but it's useless without a way of invoking it...
    Umm, have you rebooted your Tivo since you captured those codes for the Enter key via irtest?
    On my Tivo once I had captured the codes, the Tivo stopped responding to the IR remote and I had to reboot to restore normal functionality.
    I'd suggest a reboot first to verify that it does not work on a "clean" Tivo [right after reboot].

then if that fails, try asking in the Tivo UK forum on tivocommunity.com as I'm sure someone has tried to make the noreddot stuff work with a non-UK Tivo in the UK, so if its a generic "R3.0" software problem, then they will have had the problem also and either have the fix or have thrown it in to the too hard basket.

As I don't run 3.0 on my US Tivos I can't test that part for you either - may be someone else with a 3.0 system can.

The solution could be to get a UK Tivo (or run UK Tivo software on a US Tivo), if there is no other fix.
    [Either that or beat Sky with a big stick until they submit and turn off the stupid PIN feature - yeah Right].

Note: I've never been asked for a PIN number by my decoder unless I've tried to record a PPV channel. I have my "ratings" set to the highest (R20), and I don't record movies from Sky Digital either, so I guess I'd never be asked for a PIN in normal circumstances, but I can see it being a problem.

Didn't reboot-'cause the tivo I pulled the codes from is my mates which I haven't yet delivered... (used his to pull the code rather than mine since I didn't want to take mine offline). Actually, I did subsequently reboot after killing MyWorld to test, and no change was observed. As long as MyWorld is active I can't get microcontroller response.

Unless somebody else here says their US 3.0 works, I'll assume it's a US issue and do some digging in the UK areas... Thanks for the info, it's helpful to know that at least in theory I'm doing this right...

There's probably another way to do this though. Obviously the Tivo can send digits, so all we'd need to do is tap into the stream and tell the tivo what digits to send. Presumably this can be done with a method other than irtest, though I've not the slightest what that method might be.

Oh-and I mentioned this earlier, but Sky seems to have stopped demanding PINs for the moment. Though I shan't be at all surprised if this is just a brief pause before they decide to do something even more unpleasant.