Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Use nzTivo Image (based on 1.5) or OzTivo 1.6.2 ??

Quote Originally Posted by NoSignal View Post
    I can now confirm postcodes 02112 and 02120 work on the ozTivo Image 1.6.2 for Christchurch FTA via a US tivo with PAL tuner. I took 100+ photos of every step along the way, and the text version of the walkthru is above, so I (or anyone else who asks me for the pics) could mix those two resources togeather . So I can't see any advantages to using the nzTivo image at the moment (other than maybe Freeview in the distant future).
    With all the details of the steps, photos etc, its an ideal time to update the nztivo wiki with all the new detail.

Good to have your opinion on the 1.6.2 image. As far as nztivo are concerned at this point the recommendation remains the ame, use the specific NZ images. These are the images we test and will refine against the NZ emulator setup as it continues to evolve. Bottom line, the tivo functions the same at the end of the day.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Quote Originally Posted by catdog View Post
    you CAN use both a turbonet card and modem simultaneously, but you have to edit a couple of files manually instead of using nic_config_tivo. Let me know if you want help with this.
    Hi catdog, I would like to take you up on that offer.

When oztivo.conf (in ozTivo 1.6.2) has nic=modem I tried running ifconfig - it says I only have a "lo" device - no "eth" device.

US Phillips HDR112 TIVO, TurboNet, PAL Tuner, 80gb HDD. Work, Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    ... Please post any changes/additions you would like to make NZ installs easier to our wiki
    Hokay, done.
    Last edited by NoSignal; 22-08-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    With all the details of the steps, photos etc, its an ideal time to update the nztivo wiki with all the new detail.
    Its certainly on my mind, however, I don't have page creation privilidges. Also, the nztivo creator (timmy) mentioned he is planning to move over to a new wiki engine in a few weeks. So hopefully that will make it possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    Good to have your opinion on the 1.6.2 image. As far as nztivo are concerned at this point the recommendation remains the same, use the specific NZ images. These are the images we test and will refine against the NZ emulator setup as it continues to evolve. Bottom line, the tivo functions the same at the end of the day.
    Hi again DJC. It would really help to have a better understanding of the questions I outlined a while ago (that I couldn't find a response to) - see below. It would be ideal if these details could be included on the main sticky post at http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1167

DJC, maybe I have an incorrect assumption that nzTivo image uses similar (parallel) version numbering? This is not clear in the relevant forum thread. So is it a branch of ozTivo (if so, branch from which version?). Or do nzTivo developers copy versions of ozTivo that are released and apply the same NZ specific tweaks to them each time? Although even from the date shown, it does not seem that it could have all the updates listed in the ozTivo logs. It would be nice if the nzTivo image thread could address these issues so users can make an informed decision. After putting so many hours of valuable work into these developments, I would have thought it would warrant putting a couple more minutes into description/documentation of what has been done.
    This way, I could better weigh up the exact advantages (new features, bug fixes etc) vs the disadvantages (setting PAL tuner to NZ freq's and some more obscure postcodes that don't work is about all I can see) of using ozTivo instead of nzTivo.

I hope I am not being a pain - I don't mean to undermine or undervalue the work you have put into the nzTivo image, but, I guess I see the following advantages:
    1. A single australasian image to rule them all Which means less work for you and more/frequent bug fixes and feature updates.
    2. It also means clear documentation (that ozTivo has) in the form of walkthroughs, logs of changes, lists of feature requests and bug reports/known issues etc. I think these are especially vital in community projects, when things do not always work as expected.

Hi catdog, I would like to take you up on that offer.

When oztivo.conf (in ozTivo 1.6.2) has nic=modem I tried running ifconfig - it says I only have a "lo" device - no "eth" device.
    The approach I took to make daily calls via the modem, and still have network access to the tivo (for oztivo 1.6.2):

from the installer/nic_config_tivo, setup the TurboNet card (IP address, MAC etc)

edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local
    Code:
    dbrm /State/PhoneConfig DialPrefix
    dbsetx /State/PhoneConfig DialToneCheck 0
    If this file does not exist you will need to create it, then make sure it is executable
    dos2unix /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local (if created on a windows machine)
    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local

edit /etc/tclient.conf
    Code:
    127:ispphone:127.0.0.1:8000:ispusername:isppassword:
    where ispphone, ispusername, and isppassword are your ISP login details

edit /etc/ppp-options
    Code:
    user ISPusername
    edit /etc/pap-secrets
    Code:
    *   *   ISPpassword
    NOTE: it is a single TAB after each *, not spaces