Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use nzTivo Image (based on 1.5) or OzTivo 1.6.2 ??

Use nzTivo Image (based on 1.5) or OzTivo 1.6.2 ??

I wanted to add this message as a post to the "FAQ: New Zealand Custom Install Images" thread, but that thread is a closed FAQ.

I am something of a Tivo newbie, but have been working my way through an old ozTivo 1.5 manual install with instructions over at the www.nztivo.net wiki. I then found that the ozTivo image is up to 1.6.2 and has improved a lot, including being able to choose the NZ emulator from a list, and connecting to the internet to update itself (the installer now does an online update from v1.23 to v1.24). Therefore I imaged my tivo HDD with 1.6.2 and have updated the http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4 to be relevant to v1.6.2 whilst keeping information unique to NZ.

I then found the nzTivo image (there go a few hours I'll never get back ).
    So I was wondering if it is better to use the nzTivo Image (apparently based on v1.5 Aug06) or OzTivo 1.6.2 (updated in Nov06, with subsequent online updates) and select the NZ emulator from a list.

Looking at http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...ntImageRelease it seems the ozTivo Image has made some significant improvements over the subsequent 4 updates, but I can't tell if it will be as compatible with the NZ new (port 8000) emulator as the nzTivo Image. It concerns me that ozTivo 1.6.2 had a default emulator port of 80 (not hard to change to 8000).

I guess I'll suck it and see how the 1.6.2 guided setup goes in NZ. But being a newbie, I won't really know what to expect. It would help if someone who made the nzTivo changes could document what they changed.

Its great to have found this active NZ community.

Update 16/08/2007
    Conclusion: ozTivo 1.6.2 is quite easy to use in NZ (it's much more user friendly now and has considerable provision for New Zealand) as long as you follow the walkthrough later in the thread
    and don't do the following:
    - Don't use postcodes that are just for one city - ozTivo does not support them fully yet.
    - Don't hope to use both modem and LAN. Using both has been disabled in the current image. I have not found a way around this. In theory you can change your config from one to other with nic_config_tivo, but see below.
    - Don't use nic_config_tivo via terminal (serial) or telnet (LAN). For me, as soon as I do something in nic_config_tivo I can no longer use the modem successfully.
    - Don't boot up tivo with both LAN and serial plugged in - it will probably freeze at bootup screen.
    - Do double check connections and fresh batteries in the remote.
    But then, most of these apply to the nzTivo image too...

Last edited by NoSignal; 15-08-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: clarity

Suggested change for locked thread

Oh, and also in the "FAQ: New Zealand Custom Install Images" thread, the links to the .iso files are now broken. Versions of those files do exist, but their names have changed. I thought someone might want to update the links, or simply provide a link to the folder, from where people can see a list of exactly what is there.

US Phillips HDR112 TIVO, TurboNet, PAL Tuner, 80gb HDD. Work, Fun.

Testing ozTivo 1.6.2 Image in New Zealand

I thought I would try testing ozTivo Image v1.6.2 so see if its more recent updates made it worth considering against the nzTivo image.

Conclusion: While it is getting much more user friendly now and has some provision for New Zealand, it may still be easier (with minimal disadvantages) to use the nzTivo image. Though I haven't tried the nzTivo image yet.

Some ozTivo developers may find some unexpected bugs in my results below.

My setup: Christchurch Free To Air, Two Source (FTA and AV), Modem connection.

Welcome to ozTivo - press select
    ozTivo Service Terms - press select
    Program Source - Select "I have two sources"
    Zip Code - Enter 02123, press select
    Time Zone - press "Pick me! Pick me!"
    Daylight Savings - select "Pick me instead, I'm the choice you need to make".
    Area Code - Enter 002 and press select
    Phone Dialing Options - select "continue" and press select
    Setup Call - Press select to go past this screen
    It will take a while to connect and do it's thing.
    Let it do its thing (go make a coffee or play quake for a bit)
    When finished press select
    Dial In Numbers - should already be configured,
    so choose "done trying area codes" and press select
    No local Numbers - choose "sales and marketing program" and press select
    Set you SECOND Input - choose "AV Input - Satellite, AV" and press select
    - Also available: "Freeview - Satellite, FV" and "Sky Digital - Satellite, NZ"
    Set you FIRST Input - choose "I'm using an Antenna and a PAL Tuner" and press select
    - Also available: "I'm using a Set Top Box
    First Input Lineup - choose "Christchurch - Antenna, CH"
    - No other options (due to the specific PostCode used)
    This Option Doesn't Work - choose "Christchurch" and press select
    Channels You Receive - keep the Add all channels and press the right arrow.
    You can always add more or remove some later.
    Connections to Recorder - review the Connections (choose Composite or SVideo for Second Source, Confirm Status: Video OK), then choose "Accept these input settings" and press select
    Control Cable/Sat. Setup - choose "Second Source" and press select
    - In my case, "First Source" correctly says "Not Required"
    SetTopBox IR Control - choose "Infrared" and press select
    Follow the prompts on screen - depends on your setup.
    Then choose "Accept these input settings" and press select
    Let it do it's daily call bit for guide data.
    You're done with G/Setup, reboot.

Results:
    - Back in the Knoppix Network setup, NZ Emulator default port is 80. It should now be 8000.
    - I get TV guide data, but time is two hours behind. I tried "/bin/ntpdate -b -v 132.163.4.103 192.43.244.18 129.6.15.29" but got "Our postcode is 02123. No matching timezone for postcode 02123". So I think it is using an Auzzie timezone (even though I chose Christchurch). So maybe a slight fault in the headend?
    - I can't get my TurboNet card working. Probably not relevant, but...
    - I ran "nic_config_tivo" and tried to configure emulator (e, Enter), but got the following error message (clipped):
    "/sbin/nic_config_tivo: line 2: 562 Illegal Instruction $dialog --backtitle "$backtitle" --title"...
    - after this, tclient.conf is only 1 line long and it reset my emulator IP address, even though I never changed it in nic_config_tivo
    - I am having trouble seeing channels. Partly cos I need to redo IR blaster for my VCR (or just make turn VCR into pure AV with no channels). Also, in tivo system info, it says antenna is input 2 and AV is input 1. So maybe better if antenna is input 1?
    - So I went back into GS mode. However, now when modem dials up it says "Failed. Service unavailable.". It Says "Dialing" (Dials out ok). "Connecting" (Seems to connect to ISP ok). So I am stumped. Could be because nic_config_tivo had an error.
    - At this point I gave up, as modem in australia is not supported. I will try the nzTivo image tomorrow, unless anyone want me to test anything else.

The NZ image is the one recommended for starters in NZ.

Its preconfigured against the right emulators and known to work.

The only things we know we need to add are
    * petetrashes fix for the open animation
    * new timezone data when it becomes available
    * a few more future postcodes for freeview terrestrial

The UK image needs these plus an update to the latest cache card drivers.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Despite DJC's response suggesting you use the NZ version, I'll try to help here

Quote Originally Posted by NoSignal View Post
    - Back in the Knoppix Network setup, NZ Emulator default port is 80. It should now be 8000.
    Yes, you must change the emulator setting to 8000 when you image the drive
    - I get TV guide data, but time is two hours behind. I tried "/bin/ntpdate -b -v 132.163.4.103 192.43.244.18 129.6.15.29" but got "Our postcode is 02123. No matching timezone for postcode 02123". So I think it is using an Auzzie timezone (even though I chose Christchurch). So maybe a slight fault in the headend?
    You can fix this by editing /etc/postcodezones and adding 02123(tab)/Pacific/Auckland
    - I can't get my TurboNet card working.
    I think this is because you have configured the modem option - from memory, in 1.6.2, you can use modem or turbonet, but not both.
    Probably not relevant, but...
    - I ran "nic_config_tivo" and tried to configure emulator (e, Enter), but got the following error message (clipped):
    "/sbin/nic_config_tivo: line 2: 562 Illegal Instruction $dialog --backtitle "$backtitle" --title"...
    Cant help you there! Might also be the cause of your turbonet problems.
    - after this, tclient.conf is only 1 line long and it reset my emulator IP address, even though I never changed it in nic_config_tivo
    it should be using one of the emuproxy versions (ZA?), so tclient should have
    127::127.0.0.1:8000:::
    - I am having trouble seeing channels. Partly cos I need to redo IR blaster for my VCR (or just make turn VCR into pure AV with no channels). Also, in tivo system info, it says antenna is input 2 and AV is input 1. So maybe better if antenna is input 1?
    I am assuming you have a PAL tuner installed. You need to run palmod_config and select the NZ frequency table - default is Aussie. I doubt it will make any difference if you try to make RF input 1.
    - So I went back into GS mode. However, now when modem dials up it says "Failed. Service unavailable.". It Says "Dialing" (Dials out ok). "Connecting" (Seems to connect to ISP ok). So I am stumped. Could be because nic_config_tivo had an error.
    Yep, sounds like tclient.conf is the the problem here (pointing to an invalid IP address?).
    - At this point I gave up, as modem in australia is not supported. I will try the nzTivo image tomorrow, unless anyone want me to test anything else.
    Modem isn't supported in NZ either... tivo is not a telecom certified device so technically you need to use an external modem just to be allowed to connect it to their network!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by catdog View Post
    I am assuming you have a PAL tuner installed.
    I think NoSignal is trying to use a VCR as the tuner and therein lies the problem as he mentions selecting a source with reference to "Antenna" which in TiVo parlay relates to using an internal PAL tuner. A VCR must be treated exactly like an external STB connection.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks guys. I will try your suggestions catdog. And to clarify:

Regarding nic_config_tivo. Beforehand, in the Knoppix imaging app, I had selected the NZ emulator and changed the port to 8000. During GS it dialed up and connected fine. Yes, after the error tclient.conf contained 127::127.0.0.1:8000::: except it had my dialup ISP's phone number, username and password in there. I then manually edited it back to the NZ emulator and port 8000, but when redoing GS, "First Setup Call" says says "Failed. Service unavailable." I just tried again and it said "Failed. Service not answering."

Regarding signal inputs, in Guided setup I chose second input as "AV Input - Satellite, AV" and first input as "I'm using an Antenna and a PAL Tuner" (in that order). The reason for this was I wanted to use my PAL Tuner via antenna as my primary channel source, but I also wanted to be able to manually record AV input (from handycam etc), and I didn't think it would hurt to be able to tap into VCR channels as well (though that might have complicated issues). What I was noting was that in system info, input 1 and 2 are flipped, so antenna is considered input 2 - I thought this might mean it would try using the VCR channels first.

Its a pity about the modem/lan exclusivity. I don't have broadband at home, but wanted to be able to connect to tivo via lan, so I got a TurboNet card. At the time, you could use both. Looks like that might have been a bit of a waste of money. But I'm sure the developers have their reasons, so I'll find a way, who knows, maybe even get broadband (which will cost almost as much as the tivo every year...).

Anyway, I'll try your suggestions now. Thanks again.

DJC, maybe I have an incorrect assumption that nzTivo image uses similar (parallel) version numbering? This is not clear in the relevant forum thread. So is it a branch of ozTivo (if so, branch from which version?). Or do nzTivo developers copy versions of ozTivo that are released and apply the same NZ specific tweaks to them each time? Although even from the date shown, it does not seem that it could have all the updates listed in the ozTivo logs. It would be nice if the nzTivo image thread could address these issues so users can make an informed decision. After putting so many hours of valuable work into these developments, I would have thought it would warrant putting a couple more minutes into description/documentation of what has been done.

Regarding signal inputs, in Guided setup I chose second input as "AV Input - Satellite, AV" and first input as "I'm using an Antenna and a PAL Tuner" (in that order). The reason for this was I wanted to use my PAL Tuner via antenna as my primary channel source, but I also wanted to be able to manually record AV input (from handycam etc), and I didn't think it would hurt to be able to tap into VCR channels as well (though that might have complicated issues).
    That will work fine. Apologies I forgot you had an internal PAL tuner and thought you were trying to use the VCR as the exclusive tuner source.

What I was noting was that in system info, input 1 and 2 are flipped, so antenna is considered input 2 - I thought this might mean it would try using the VCR channels first.
    It's not actually a priority thing. There is not really a "primary" and "secondary" hierarchy. It is merely two inputs. To choose the inputs as you described above is usually how I do it when setting up a TiVo.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Ok, I've tried those suggestions:

I ran palmod_config and selected the NZ frequency table. Before this, I was (probably coincidentally) getting one channel - TV2. After, I am getting no channels. So I don't think I am doing anything wrong - I think the Christchurch postcode has been fully implemented in ozTivo 1.6.2 (which is confirmed by below).

I edited /etc/postcodezones and added Christchurch (02123). /bin/ntpdate ... does not have the error now, but it does say "Failed to connect to any of the time servers". I guess it doesn't work with a modem. Back in tivo, time is still wrong. I didn't wait for a daily update (because is not modem not connecting now), but I suspect that is would have change the time then). So I think this is fixed (someone may want to add the Christchurch postcode to the next ozTivo image release).

I double-checked the modem settings, and it seems like it should work, but it doesn't. I even put the tivo hdd back in my pc and re-did the settings through knoppix (setting the emulator doesn't crash there). However, when I looked at the changes it made, they were the same as nic_config_tivo - even the emulator adrress had been changed to 127.0.0.1 in tclient.conf. Maybe the address doesn't matter there, because the correct nz emulator IP is in oztivo.conf. Anyway, I even tried a second ISP, but had the same problem. As my modem worked before nic_config_tivo, I think this is a problem with nic_config_tivo - maybe when it failed, or maybe when changing from turbonet to modem, there is something it forgets to change. But I guess as modem is not supported, maybe I can't hope for too much.

And then I used nic_config_tivo to setup TurboNet use instead of modem. I could telnet in over lan, establish an ftp connection on ftp://tivo'siIP, but going to TivoWebPlus at http://tivo'siIP did not work. After less than 30 minutes usgin LAN, my tivo started crashing - remote did not work, telnet connection stopped responding and the subtle moving graphics in the background stopped moving. After a hard reset it worked for a few minutes and then crashed again. After another hard reset it only lasted for about 10 seconds. I'm guessing that is a problem with my turbonet card rather than the ozTivo image.