Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cant make first phone home...

Yes, you must have internet connection for the update to download.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Can I do it over the network, or do I have to take the hardrive out again and hook it up to my pc? Just thought I'd ask before I climb behind the entertainment unit again (as I have a bung shoulder after popping it out 2 nights ago....)
    Sam
    Phillips S1 with turbonet and 300gb seagate FTA STB
    Victoria - Australia

You can't load the initial TiVo image over the network onto a hard disk, however if you are referring to doing just an update to an image then yes this can be done as per this page: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...adeOzTiVoImage
    Last edited by Darren King; 18-08-2007 at 09:32 PM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Darren;
    Sorry, we are talking about updating the installer before loading the image. Not updating an existing image.

Sparker;
    You will need to pull the drive and attach it the same as you originally did, but the machine you attach it to needs to have an internet connection to download the updated installer files. It's alway's advisable not to install the TiVo in a difficult location till you have it running stable.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Sorry if I missed this in a previous post, but have you taken your TiVo over to a friends house to see if it works there?

Be good to make sure that the TiVo is indeed fully operational.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

Hi PjPete,
    that's not a bad idea - I should take it over to a friends house to see if it works with their network/ISP provider. I bought the unit off ebay and would trust that it works from the previous owner. Besides, I tried it out before installing the image and it appeared to be working fine and had saved programs installed on the drive.

In regards to having internet access on the machine that you install the iso from, does the loader program look for this connection through a network connection or something? IE, can I hook a network cable up to my spare pc (that I do the is iso loadings from) and this will work? I guess I can try it and see what it says.

Oh, and my tivo isn't in a particularly bad position, anywhere is hard to get to with a freshly dislocated shoulder!!!

Thanks for your help, may get a chance to try the fresh update/install tonight.
    Sam
    Victoria - Australia

Just a quick question guys, will it be obvious if the update does or does not work? I have tried it and it just flashes something very quickly on a black background screen and then shows the same screen again. Does this mean it downloaded the latest update or not? If not, why not? I presume a network setting is not correct, but how do I set it? Thanks,
    Sam
    Victoria - Australia

Unless Peter can put me wise I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding having to update the installer CD when imaging the hard disk. I would have thought an alternative route would be to use the 1.6.2 CD as is and then invoke the update_oztivo -y command to get the updates when the hard disk is put back in the TiVo.

Surely not everyone has or is expected to have a PC connected to a network when imaging a TiVo hard disk?
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I have the tivo out and connected to the computer now anyway, but am not really thinking the update feature is working. If I can do it another way, then im more than happy to try that (I am already using the 1.6.2 installer) Thanks guys,
    Sam
    Victoria - Australia

Sam,

The only thing you will notice is version number of the installer will increment. From memory 1.22 to 1.23 or 1.23 to 1.24. The ISO should auto configure on the PC it is run on, so yes just plugging a network cable in should work.

Darren,
    Apart from the menu fixes it also downloads some file updates and config changes since the ISO was released. This includes changes to emuproxyZA which may fix the problem.

If you don't pick up the changes at install you can get them by rsync later, the problem is for rsync to be sucessful you must have completed GS. This is where sam is stuck, rsync won't work as he can't complete GS.

Peter.