Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cant make first phone home...

Thanks Peter that makes sense.

I guess it is back to square 1 for Sam. Time to take the TiVo over to the friend's house and narrow it down a little.

Sorry Sam I rarely get further into Melbourne than Dandenong. Although I guess another idea may be to send me the hard disk and I can do the initial guided setup and file updates to it if that helps any.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Hi Pete,
    where abouts is the installer increment displayed? I might just presume it has worked and put the drive back in my tivo to try. Here's hoping we are onto a winner! Thanks guys,
    Sam
    Phillips S1 with turbonet and 300gb seagate FTA STB
    Victoria - Australia

If the time taken to initiate the update to the time it finished is less than 5 seconds then it hasn't worked. I believe you mentioned it just gives a brief flash and then returns to the main screen.

Last night I had to install a hard disk and I purposely monitored the time taken for discussion in this thread. Even on a 512K ADSL connection it took about 10 seconds and the network traffic light on the PC showed plenty of activity.

If you cannot even make a PC running the installer CD to get a successful update then it is suggesting more a network/router or ISP issue than anything else.
    Darren King

Ok - sounds promising (promising as in that sounds like the problem) as it does only flash something up on the screen for maybe a couple of tenths of a second. Should I try another router or is there some test I can do to see where the problem is occuring? Thanks guys,
    Sam
    Victoria - Australia

From memory the installer version number is displayed in the border at the top of the screen.

You won't see it increment, but take a note of it before the update and look again after.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Just got this email from Exetel, do you think it will make any difference to the tivo? If I can't get this thing to work in the next week or so, I'm going to have to give up and sell it

Please find that the ADSL service that is active on the number 0352457***, was yesterday migrated to the new Melbourne POP. A notification was due to be sent prior to the change but due to an administrative error the notice failed to send to all customers.

The only difference to your service is that the dedicated IP address that your account was assigned (was a 220.233.*.* IP) will be changed to the new pool of IP addresses assigned to the Melbourne POP (these are a 58.96.*.* IP range.)

Changes you will need to make:

For most of you there will be no need to make any changes to your service. If your modem is set to a dynamic IP address then the Exetel authentication server will just assign you the new IP address and your service will continue to work.

For customers who have a static IP address set in their modem / router, they will need to update this to the new IP address which can be seen in your user facilities.

The change effects residential grade services only.

If you have any further questions please reply to this email and a support staff member will assist you.

Exetel apologises for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Exetel Support
    Last edited by Darren King; 27-08-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: removed personal info
    Victoria - Australia

This notice only means they have changed the IP address that the ISP assigns to your ADSL service. Given you have made a post today means you have been changed over and your router has picked up this new IP address. No I don't believe it will make one iota of difference and you can confirm by telling us whether the TiVo has done anything different today compared to what it has been doing previously.

So what is your status? You have been a little quiet recently. I assume you have used this time to organise your local friend to help you out narrowing down where the exact problem may be. If you can let us know the outcome of this that will help.

Shame you may be considering the option of selling as I doubt you are the only Exetel person using a TiVo and strongly believe it is something local rather than the ISP at fault. To be clear, before the topic went off on a tangent of the image update via network you were at the point of post #63 (page 7) of testing or even post #76 (page 8) where you were going to take it to another place for testing there. Might be a good idea to pick it up from this point and continue if you have not already done so.

Note I edited your post to remove your specific phone number.
    Last edited by Darren King; 27-08-2007 at 08:58 AM.
    Darren King

Hi Darren,
    thanks for editing - I must have missed that....

Things have been a bit quiet lately because to be honest, Im pretty over it all. I've spent a good number of hours on this thing to get nothing in return. I will get motivated again, but its just frustrating me too much at the moment.

I do also agree that it must be either the router or my network setup, but Im having trouble finding someone who has broadband and has the time to help me with it. Would be really handy if someone near geelong would be willing for me to bring it over one night or weekend to have a try on their network/ISP. Anyone from here available?

Sam
    Victoria - Australia

OK then. Good luck with it all.
    Darren King

Hi Darren,
    thanks mate. Do you know of any other oztivo forum members that are on this side of melbourne? You said you were on the other side of the bay yeah? Where abouts is that, Im happy to come for a drive to try it out on your setup - save me stuffing around for however many more nights not really sure what Im doing at home!!!!
    Sam
    Victoria - Australia