Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tivo will not "hang up"

Tivo will not "hang up"

Hello,

I have just reloaded my series 1 TiVo with the latest 1.6.x image and am having an issue with the guided setup. During the First Setup Call my TiVo hangs on the "Hanging Up" stage. The SPOD (spinning ball of death) keeps on spinning but nothing happens.

If I reboot the TiVo then I end up making the First Setup Call again and the same thing occurs. I've never had this issue before and don't know where to go next. The few logs I have checked don't report anything outwardly interesting in terms of errors or warnings.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Cheers.

And the answer is . . .

I have fixed the problem.

During earlier OS releases (at least the nzTiVo images) there was no setting for TurboNet timing (at least not one I could see). During the 1.6.2 release there is an option and the default is for optimised so I selected this.

Using nic_config_tivo, I changed the timing to failsafe and it now hangs up when downloading is complete.

<UPDATE>
    Suddenly the TiVo stopped working again (froze on hanging up). I checked and the timing was back to 3. I ran nic_config_tivo again, but it wouldn't change it. Seems there is a bug with this script.

You have to edit /etc/oztivo.conf and change the timing to 16.

If you find your edit hasn't worked, make sure whatever editor you are using inserts a correct newline character after the timing=16. For some reason, when I edited (using Joe) it didn't (or I did something wrong). I had to edit the file and put a ^m after the 16 then things started working again.
    </UPDATE>

Maybe this is just my dodgy TurboNet card??!!

Hope this helps someone else one day.
    Last edited by Si-clone; 07-08-2007 at 11:17 AM.

No it is not your Turbonet card. You are correct there is a setting bug and you need to edit the config manually.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I thought I'd fixed this in the updated installer?

Did you select the upgrade option before imaging the drive?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Still not hanging up.

I was reimaging a dead TiVo drive that previously had a nzTiVo image on it. I used the 1.6.2 iso and "just went through the paces" (which may have caused the issue??).

I did run update_oztivo after installing the image.

Unfortunately I am still experiencing the failure to hangup problem, despite timing=16 existing in the oztivo.conf file.

It was working for a few connects but now seems to fail every time. The only fix I have is to reboot the TiVo, which results in it not indexing (have to force a manual index).

Any ideas would be appreciated - as I'm all out :-)

Cheers

you would need to post the most recent part of your tclient.log after a stuck call for us to see where it's being stuck.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi Peter,

The following is a snippet from the tclient log file. I didn't know how much you wanted me to post, so I have just supplied the parts that seem to relate to the hangup sequence. Please let me know if you want more, less, or something different.

Interestingly, my TiVo was stuck in the "hanging up" phase so I rebooted with the intention of capturing the log from a dial/hangup after a reboot. However, as Murphy's Law would have it, the hang up worked without getting stuck. So this log is from the 2nd to last dial/hangup sequence.

Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: HttpGetRqst::evaluate: enqueuing /var/packages/NZ02114_13732-13745.slice.gz for postprocessing
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: CallService: NetAgent Process err 0
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: SvcLogRqst: open(/var/log/svclog.tmp)ed (tmpfd = 25)
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: SvcLogRqst: open(/var/log/svclog.upload)ed (uploadfd = 26)
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: SvcLogRqst: final (1581 bytes)::read() (status = 0)
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: SvcLogRqst: unlink(/var/log/svclog.tmp)ed (status = 0)
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: CallService: Finishing err 0
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: CommUtil: connection to host 210.48.107.133, port 8000, err 0x0
    Aug 7 14:36:22 (none) comm[152]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 1581^M ^M
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: read HTTP Header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:36:23 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13.3.20060mdk) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g PHP/5.0.4 mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.7^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/plain; charset=IS
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: O-8859-1
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: SvcLogRqst::verify: enter
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: SvcLogRqst::verify: unlink(/var/log/svclog.upload)ed (status = 0)
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: CallService: NetAgent Process (2nd) err 0
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: CallService: EndCall start
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: CallStatusReporter: Phase: Hangup, Status In Progress
    Aug 7 14:36:23 (none) comm[152]: CallStatusReporter: sending message "HU|39"
    Aug 7 14:41:06 (none) WatchdogAction[150]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 900 interval-secs
    Aug 7 14:56:15 (none) WatchdogAction[150]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 1800 interval-secs
    Aug 7 15:11:25 (none) WatchdogAction[150]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 2700 interval-secs
    Aug 7 15:26:36 (none) WatchdogAction[150]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 3600 interval-secs

Nothing to explain it there, the hang up command was sent, but not acted upon.

What is the current status of your TiVo, is it still hanging?

Peter.

TiVo will not hang up.

Hi All,

I have just re-imaged my TiVo and am having the exact same problem described in the opening of this thread above ...

I have a Philips PVT100, and re-imaged using "nzTiVo-Philips-Installer-Aug06TWP.iso" and as part of the re-image I configured the network to fit within my home IP address structure. This is how it was configured before I decided to re-image. There is a turboNet card in the TiVo.

After the first time the GS failed and reading numerous posts, I changed the port number from 80 to 8000 on "#NZ legacy" in /etc/tclient.conf and retried GS

Still no luck. I've been fighting this thing for 5 days now. HELP... PLEASE ...

We miss our TiVo so much. My darling and the kids are complaining about having to watch "... LIVE TV ...", reading the Listener to see what's on, and fretting about missing/missed programmes. We've become so reliant on it that we're pathethic without it :-(

The upside is that I managed to buy another one - a Thompson, which I pick up tomorrow - and I've only just got Freeview up and running in my study .... Now if I could only resolve this problem we'll be a 2-TiVo household.

The attached ZIP file contains ...
    /etc/tclient.conf
    /var/log/tclient

and I'm sure I can provide any other details - just ask, or point me at them...

Cheers
    Ty
    Attached Files Attached Files

OOOpppps - wrong section

Oops, I've loaded this in the wrong area... It should be in the NZ Specific, New Zealand General Forum ... and I can't see a way of moving it.

Cheers
    Ty