Thread: Are there instructions for Sky and Freeview?

Are there instructions for Sky and Freeview?

It seems likely that it is possible to configure my TiVo to handle both SkyTV and Freeview, but I have not been able to find the instructions on how to do so.

It would be nice to have information on how to hook up the Freeview STB along with the Sky STB; how to tell Tivo about the two; how to obtain guide data for both, etc.

Recommendations on which Freeview STB to buy would also be appreciated.

If this set of instructions has not been written, I would be glad to help but I am far from expert. If it does exist, a URL would be appreciated.

I have a Philips Series 1 TiVo
    Version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5
    Compile #1 Tue Sep 7 02:27:11 EST 2004

There are no written instructions on how to setup both sky and freeview, although I managed to get it working using the 02113 postcode
    http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1550

For your philips tivo, you will probably want to do the 2nd audio input mod to input one stb through normal composite, and the other through the s-video connection. You'll also need a dual head IR blaster.

I have one of the freeview approved boxes (Hills) which seems to work very well, but is more expensive than other alternatives. Search these forums for a thread about freeview for info on cheaper boxes that others are using.

what are the advantages of 2 Sky+Freeview?

What are the real advantages of attaching a Freeview box to an existing Sky+TiVo setup? (ie. a single TiVo, with a dual input mod)?

The TiVo can only record from one STB at-a-time (right?), so it seems that the main advantage is the ability to watch a Freeview channel live, whilst recording a Sky channel (or vice versa). Or am I missing something?

After less that a year with TiVo, I now do anything to avoid watching live TV - except sport ;-)
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by mpnash View Post
    What are the real advantages of attaching a Freeview box to an existing Sky+TiVo setup? (ie. a single TiVo, with a dual input mod)?

The TiVo can only record from one STB at-a-time (right?), so it seems that the main advantage is the ability to watch a Freeview channel live, whilst recording a Sky channel (or vice versa). Or am I missing something?
    You are not missing anything - you can only record from one stb at a time. For most people with sky I guess there is not much advantage to adding freeview until the new channels are added which wont be available on sky (although it is yet to be determined whether there is anything worth watching on those channels! ).