Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with more than one tivo on network

Problems with more than one tivo on network

I'm no expert, but have managed to keep one tivo going for the past 2 1/2 years.

Recently tried to add second tivo to my network - and can't work out why it isn't working. Both have airnet card, with different static IP addresses. Both have prism 2.5 802.11b network cards. Problem is that both tivos' MAC addresses show up as attached devices on my wireless router - but only one with an IP address.

Don't know where to begin troubleshooting - any thoughts would be helpful!

I had a similar problem, think you have to reset the MAC address one one or both of the network cards, here's a link to the relevant thread: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1096
    Last edited by tonys; 18-07-2007 at 09:35 AM.

thanks for the advice / link-

I'm not sure how I wil change the MAC address, given that it is supplied by the wireless card (both tivos are running through airnet rather than turbonet), but will see if I can dig out a method.

will see if nic_config_tivo can force a MAC address change (??)
    - will try tonight

Update: just tried. nic_config_tivo doesn't give me the option to change the MAC address - I am certain that the two boxes are reporting a different MAC address, so shouldn't be causing problems? Also, changed IP address of the tivo I can get into - and the other doesn't appear, so I don't think it is an IP address clash.
    Last edited by MMooney; 18-07-2007 at 03:45 PM.

If you turn OFF the good TiVo, then reboot the unseen TiVo, can you find it on the network?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Yes!

Any thoughts on what might be causing the conflict?

can confirm that both are using different (static) IP addresses, differnt MAC addresses.

as soon as I turn the 'good' tivo back on, the new tivo drops back off the network - can still see the MAC, but no IP associated with it, and can't pull up tivoweb or telnet in

worst case, I can turn off one each few days and force call - but would be nice to be able to have them both work together
    Last edited by MMooney; 19-07-2007 at 07:57 PM.

I haven't used a pair of airnets before, and don't currently have one setup.

Can you confirm the MAC address your router is seeing, is the same as what is printed on your modem cards.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    I haven't used a pair of airnets before
    Up until last week I had for roughly three years with at lest four different routers (I went through a phase of swapping routers until I found a good one for VoIP!).

No problems this way. In fact during this time I had the odd Airnet TiVo in for modifications making three on the network with no problems.

I had my two set up with static IP addresses (ie not DHCP) and of course made sure that the MAC addresses were different.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

MAC address is the same as is on the modem cards (that was the only way I could tell that the tivos were the devices I was seeing attached to my wireless adaptor).

more info - one tivo is running tivoweb, the other tivoweb plus - v 1.4 and 1.5 images? If I updated the first (good) tivo maybe the problem would be resolved? Might try that

changing between TW & TWP should not make any difference to your current issue, But it is worth doing anyway as TWP is much better.

Can you show us the contents of both /etc/oztivo.conf files.

Peter.

thanks for your help with this - I am still in the dark as to what is going on

'new tivo' /etc/oztivo.conf:

-------------------
    # OzTiVo menu configuration settings file
    # Please do not edit this file
    # Put the TiVo disk back in your PC to reconfigure
    nic=AirNet
    ip=192.168.0.30
    mac=
    hostname=
    modem=0
    pppondss=0
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    gateway=192.168.0.1
    ssid=mmabnetwork
    wep=None
    wepkey=

Read only
    -----------------------------
    'old tivo' /etc/oztivo.conf:
    -----------------------------

# OzTiVo menu configuration settings file
    # Please do not edit this file
    # Put the TiVo disk back in your PC to reconfigure
    nic=AirNet
    ip=192.168.0.20
    mac=
    hostname=
    modem=0
    pppondss=0
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    gateway=192.168.0.1
    ssid=mmabnetwork
    wep=None
    wepkey=

Read only

-------------------------------

Also, now having trouble getting the 'new' tivo to complete the first program call - can't get a connection. It will get through a test call, I can telnet in, but it won't complete the first program call.

carried out all the diagnostics on the http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...ork_configurat page - none showed up anything odd.