Thread: Moving to Oz (and bringing my TiVos)

Moving to Oz (and bringing my TiVos)

Hey all,

I currently have a UK series 1 with lifetime sub and an unsubbed (and unused by me) series 1 US phillips. Been a TiVoer for quite a few years and just hate the prospect of life without it. (Looking forward to 2008 in Oz........).

I am due to be coming over in the next couple of months and I am bringing my TiVos with me.......

Here are my questions:

- I know my UK one will work fine - no hardware mods required just need to load up the OzTiVo image. But will the US one work without issues? I have not got around to replacing the NTSC RF modulator with the PAL one I have spare but is this strictly required? I am not much cop with a soldering iron so I am nervous about potentially ruining a working Tivo. Is there anyone in NSW (Hills district of Sydney preferably) who could fit this for me if its required. Apart from the PAL modulator (and the OzTiVo image) is anything else needed?
    - My UK model has a cache card but the US model does not, will this cause a problem?
    - I am bringing my Freeview DVB-T boxes with me but I understand that Sydney has TV signals on both UHF and VHF so its unlikely to pick up the complete range of Digital signals. Is the same true of the analogue signals that the TiVo can pick up?
    - I am considering getting a DVB-S service foxtel/Austar or maybe cable if its in the area I am moving to. Is guide data available for these services or is OzTivo limited to FTV/FTA channels only? (I just cant get over how expensive Foxtel is )
    - Finally slightly off topic but does anyone know if the Sky digital box I have would work on foxtel. Its the same NDS encryption.... How about my Sky+ box, again its the same as the Foxtel IQ.... Would it just require a Foxtel card to work or would that not be possible.....

Cheers

/S

Quote Originally Posted by sfalvey View Post
    will the US one work without issues? I have not got around to replacing the NTSC RF modulator with the PAL one
    Yes. You will be able to input one external source into it from a set-top-box or a VCR or similar.

I have spare but is this strictly required?
    No, not at all. Don't forget that if you *just* have the tuner and decide to fit it then you will only get mono sound from it. There is other hardware needed for stereo from the PAL tuner when put in a USA TiVo. The UK TiVo has all the necessary hardware fitted already to receive FTA TV in stereo.

I am not much cop with a soldering iron so I am nervous about potentially ruining a working Tivo. Is there anyone in NSW (Hills district of Sydney preferably) who could fit this for me if its required.
    Not that I know of. But someone may stick their hand up and assist if you are lucky. If not then don't risk it as repairs are not cheap and outweigh getting it done correctly if you really want the PAL tuner working.

Apart from the PAL modulator (and the OzTiVo image) is anything else needed?
    PAL tuner is optional as discussed above, current OzTiVo image is mandatory. Also if you have not got a networking card then get one for each TiVo to make it super easy to set them up and download guide data via your home network. Using the internal dialup modem generally does not work in Australia as you will need a dialup ISP and one that supports the type of log in authentication handshaking required. Of which there are not many suitable ISP's. Much easier to have broadband and a home network to do the job.

- My UK model has a cache card but the US model does not, will this cause a problem?
    As stated above you should get some kind of networking card. It does not have to be a cachecard and can be just a network only card like a Turbonet, Terbonet, X-Factor, TV-LAN, TurboNZet or other variants.

- I am bringing my Freeview DVB-T boxes with me but I understand that Sydney has TV signals on both UHF and VHF so its unlikely to pick up the complete range of Digital signals. Is the same true of the analogue signals that the TiVo can pick up?
    No. Your UK TiVo can pick up VHF and UHF analogue as will your USA TiVo if you get the tuner fitted. Your Freeview box however is only suitable for UHF reception as you have mentioned so it won't get all the channels broadcasted.

- I am considering getting a DVB-S service foxtel/Austar or maybe cable if its in the area I am moving to. Is guide data available for these services or is OzTivo limited to FTV/FTA channels only? (I just cant get over how expensive Foxtel is )
    Guide data is available for Pay and FTA.

Depending on where you live depends on what type of Pay TV and how it is delivered (cable or satellite) is available. You can also have SelecTV pay-TV too if you so desire which is a little cheaper.

- Finally slightly off topic but does anyone know if the Sky digital box I have would work on foxtel. Its the same NDS encryption.... How about my Sky+ box, again its the same as the Foxtel IQ.... Would it just require a Foxtel card to work or would that not be possible.....
    Not possible. Different variant of NDS and Foxtel will not give you just a card anyway.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks Darren, I just took a look at your website. I might send it on over to you when I get to Oz.

Cheers
    /S