Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just bought a Thomson Tivo from the UK

OK, just trying to fix the time issue now. I need to be able to Telnet to the Tivo. I don't have a serial cable yet, but is there a way to do this using a the command prompt on a PC running Vista? I try:

telnet 10.0.0.8

10.0.0.8 is the IP address of my Tivo on the local network. I can connect to this using a web browser, and also an ftp client, but I can't seem to telnet to it to make the changes to the time. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

You do not need a serial cable. Windows telnet does not work properly either.

The correct procedure is outlined here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...lnetToYourTiVo
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks Darren, i'll give putty a go! This is just the last thing i need to do now.

ALso managed to convince a friend to go for Tivo - he's starting to find all the bits he needs now!

Quote Originally Posted by ianjf2000 View Post
    OK, just trying to fix the time issue now. I need to be able to Telnet to the Tivo. I don't have a serial cable yet, but is there a way to do this using a the command prompt on a PC running Vista? I try:

telnet 10.0.0.8

try

telnet 10.0.0.8 23

This disables the telnet negotiation which can kill the telnet server on the tivo.

hmm, having a slight bit of trouble. I'm using a mac and connecting using virtual pc which shouldn't be a problem. Putty quits on me when I try to connect, when I try the command prompt I keep getting an error to do with port 23.

Do I need to set up port 23 on my router as open, or leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by ianjf2000 View Post
    hmm, having a slight bit of trouble. I'm using a mac and connecting using virtual pc which shouldn't be a problem. Putty quits on me when I try to connect, when I try the command prompt I keep getting an error to do with port 23.

Do I need to set up port 23 on my router as open, or leave it?
    I'm assuming you are telneting to you tivo from inside you lan, in which case you don't need to change anything on your router.

If you are using OSX, you don't need putty on a virtual pc, you can use

telnet 10.0.0.8 23

from a terminal session (Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

Hi Wibble,

Just tried using terminal and no joy. I have also tried using my Dell PC laptop I have which runs Vista. Have tried using command line on this and still no joy.

It's a buggar as all I need to do is sort out the time. Apart from that Tivo really is Brilliant.

What happens when summer time comes in again? Will I have to set the time again?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, without this very useful community I don't think I would have got this far.

most probably you've tried it already but perhaps try without port 23 specified. i use terminal to connect to my Thomson from OsX, simply:

telnet <ip-address>

It will take some time to connect - up to 30seconds and then a little longer to complete the connection but eventually the prompt appears.

I'm using the Thomson nzTivo image.