Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Thomson Tivo from the UK

Just bought a Thomson Tivo from the UK

Hi all, here's my first post.

Following months of looking in to MySky and DVD recorders with HDD, I decided to go for a Tivo. A good friend of mine has one and raves about it. So I managed to get my hands on a Thomson Tivo series 1. Arrived today. It has a standard 40GB HD, remote and all leads. So far, so good.

Now i'd like to get a bigger drive for it, something around the 750GB range. Can anyone give me an exact model HD to get?

I've downloaded this software:
    nzTiVo-Thomson-Installer-Dec06RC1.iso

Another mate has an old 266mhz PC, if I burn this to CD, do I just replace the HD in the PC with the new one, and boot the PC from the CD? Then just install the software?

Finally does anyone know if my Tivo has a cachecard already? I think it's called a PVR-10.

Thanks,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianjf2000 View Post
    Now i'd like to get a bigger drive for it, something around the 750GB range. Can anyone give me an exact model HD to get?
    Any harddrive will work fine so long as it is not SATA. I personally go for seagate drives as they have a 5 year warranty, but there are issues if you try to install 2 seagate drives together http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...kConfiguration

Another mate has an old 266mhz PC, if I burn this to CD, do I just replace the HD in the PC with the new one, and boot the PC from the CD? Then just install the software?
    Yep

Finally does anyone know if my Tivo has a cachecard already? I think it's called a PVR-10.
    The cachecard is an extra add-on, so it is unlikely that your tivo came with one unless the seller explicitly advertised it with the tivo. If it did, I think the cachecard drivers on the iso are out of date so it will show an error screen but the network should still function ok (you'll need to update the driver to use the cache function).

If needed you can get a network card locally http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1547

Thanks very much for your reply!

Hard drives:
    Would this work OK?
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=HDDSE1405
    I am thinking of buying 2 to install.

Cachecard
    http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm
    I have just bought myself one of these, all I now need is the RAM for it.

IR Blaster
    My Tivo didn't have one
    Do you know anywhere in Auckland that sells them? I've had a look at Jaycar and Dick Smith, does this mean I'll have to make one up?

Thanks, Ian

Hard drives:
    Would this work OK?
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=HDDSE1405
    I am thinking of buying 2 to install.
    It will work ok if you buy one, it is likely that IT WILL NOT WORK properly if you buy two in a master/slave configuration - read the comment and link in my post above. Chances are that you are better off getting one 750gig drive than two 400gig drives anyway (similar price, less power consumption, less likely to fail etc).

Cachecard
    http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm
    I have just bought myself one of these, all I now need is the RAM for it.
    Cool. You can just use the network feature in the mean time without the RAM. Make sure when you image the harddrive (on PC) that you configure it for the cachecard as it is not the default setting.
    IR Blaster
    My Tivo didn't have one
    Do you know anywhere in Auckland that sells them? I've had a look at Jaycar and Dick Smith, does this mean I'll have to make one up?
    The easiest would have been to add one to your 9th tee order I don't know anywhere which sells them as a seperate item in NZ (they are usually bundled with a device). I guess you could easily make your own or just buy one off ebay. (Assuming sky) which make/model decoder do you have? There are issues with one of the motorola boxes (search the forums for more details).

Quote Originally Posted by catdog View Post
    Chances are that you are better off getting one 750gig drive than two 400gig drives anyway (similar price, less power consumption, less likely to fail etc).
    Plus unless he is lucky there will be no second hard disk bracket in the TiVo meaning one of those would need purchasing.

Also I would be very weary about running a cachecard loaded with 512MB of RAM with two hard disks. The poor power supply was not designed to run a cachecard loaded with RAM as it is without having long term problems - let alone a cachecard loaded with RAM and TWO hard drives!
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks for your response.

So I should just go for a 750GB then and not 2 x 400GB. Would this one be OK?

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=HDDSE1751

Also, I have been in touch with 9th tee and placed the order for the IR Blaster! Thanks for the tip, was wondering what the best way to get one would be!

Regards, Ian

Sky decoder

If you are planning on using your TiVo with Sky and have a Motorola DTH335 you will need get it swapped for a DTH325 or Pace decoder. Noone has got the IR control to work with the DTH335 yet.

Great timing

We have had problems with our motorola box over the last 2 weeks. Remote control has problems working with it. Appears Sky in NZ has a software update which has caused problems on the box. Have got them coming next week to swap it for a Pace box.

Now all I need is teh right HD, the cachecard and IR blaster to come from the States and I'm away! Yippee! Good bye video.

Update on my Tivo.

I have had Sky replace the Motorola with a Pace box, so that's all good and ready.

Next I have all the elements needed to make it work:
    1. Thomson PVR10 Tivo Box
    2. Seagate IDE 750GB HD
    3. Cachecard
    4. Additional 512MB RAM PC133 for cachecard
    5. IR Blaster

So my question is, where do I start?

Do I start by installing the Thomson image on to the Seagate drive? If so, which is the correct image I need? Also, at what point do I need to install the drivers for the cachecard?

I don't have a PC, but a friend has an old 266 PC from back in the day, will this work?
    Any help much appreciated! Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianjf2000
    So my question is, where do I start?
    Probably the best place to start is reading the guides on nztivo.net and oztivo.net
    Do I start by installing the Thomson image on to the Seagate drive?
    Yes
    If so, which is the correct image I need?
    That is the latest NZ image.
    Also, at what point do I need to install the drivers for the cachecard?
    Make sure you select cachecard and configure IP address etc when you image the harddrive in the PC. As I previously said, I think the drivers are out of date, but the network should still work ok allowing you to configure everything. I suggest you take it one step at a time - get the tivo harddrive imaged, and through guided setup, and then worry about getting the "cache" feature working.
    I don't have a PC, but a friend has an old 266 PC from back in the day, will this work?
    Sorry, I didn't notice the "266 MHz" detail last time I answered this - chances are that a PC of that age will hang at the bios screen and refuse to boot with a 750gig harddrive attached, but no harm in trying it! (I had a PC around that age with a harddrive limit of ~80gig, which I found out the hard way after buying a 120gig drive).