Thread: Trouble with input source to tivo

Trouble with input source to tivo

Hello

I am setting up a tivo for the first time. I am using a Phillips PTV-300.

Things are going pretty well generally. I have imaged my disk, made the network connection and got the program data etc..

My last stumbling block is being able to get my input source to work. I just want to use the UHF antenna cable from my wall in as simple a fashion as possible. The antenna cable sockets on the tivo look like american ones I think...RF in, RF out.

Can I buy a simple adaptor for this conversion? I read something about a PAL tuner mod but am not sure what this is or whether I have it or not..

I tried using the AV out (rca - red, white, yellow) from my tv (the tc manual says this can be used to connect a second tv) as the source for the tivo but when going through the guided setup if I used this as my source then it seemed to assume that I was also using a set top box. My tv (LG) has a built in digital tuner so I thought maybe this is ok but couldn't exactly find it on the list - closest was LG OzTivo but the channel changing stuff wouldn't work.

Kind of stuck on thi...Any help is most appreciated. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by bobban View Post
    My last stumbling block is being able to get my input source to work. I just want to use the UHF antenna cable from my wall in as simple a fashion as possible. The antenna cable sockets on the tivo look like american ones I think...RF in, RF out.

Can I buy a simple adaptor for this conversion? I read something about a PAL tuner mod but am not sure what this is or whether I have it or not..
    No you cannot buy an adaptor. Your choice is either get the tuner replaced for a PAL type or use an external input source via the A/V input as you have already touched on. Details about the PAL tuner via the link in my signature.

Also you can throw the USA manual you may have got with the TiVo away. It does not apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by bobban View Post
    I tried using the AV out (rca - red, white, yellow) from my tv (the tc manual says this can be used to connect a second tv) as the source for the tivo but when going through the guided setup if I used this as my source then it seemed to assume that I was also using a set top box. My tv (LG) has a built in digital tuner so I thought maybe this is ok but couldn't exactly find it on the list - closest was LG OzTivo but the channel changing stuff wouldn't work.
    As you say, that might be an option.... but if the IR channel changing did not work and you cannot find one that can then you will have to capture the codes yourself and get them added to the database. Instructions on that are in the IR area of the oztivo website here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/IR/WebHome
    Last edited by Darren King; 03-06-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks for the informative reply Darren!

I would like to get digital signal if possible so will look into the STB solution. One thing that I am confused about with using the television's built in digital tuner is this:

If I am watching the tivo through the AV1 channel and wanting the tivo to change channels - how could this happen? For example, if I am on AV1 I can't change channels with the tv's remote. I tried changing channel while being in all the auxiliary channels (av1, av2, component1, component2, rgb, dmi) and when I went back to the tv mode the channel had never changed. Maybe is there a tv setting to change this so I search into that. Has anyone used an oztivo in this kind of setup? Maybe everyone (except me) that uses a tivo also has cable (or an external STB).

Thanks again.

Sorry I can't answer specifics on what your intended hookup is, or how you may be able to go about getting it to work. However I do tend to agree that the norm of people who do opt for an external input source would be to go for a seperate STB scenario. Also, to make your life easy, picking one from the already known TiVo compatible list would be of a benefit too.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I am not aware of any TV's with integrated digital tuners, where the tuner can be used independently of the input source selected.

You will probably need to use an external STB as everyone else does.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!