Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TiVo coming to Australia and New Zealand - Official

Timing isn't a huge problem as TiVo does have hard padding as standard, and may even include some form of softpadding.

I agree FTA isn't enough on it's own, but the hopes are that this system (using Engin ADSL2+) will be an option to pay TV through it's download capabilities. New release movies will be available for (paid) download, as will other free and paid programming via the net. Making this TiVo more like an offline IPTV box.

Peter.

PS. At least with channel 7 behind it the shows might run on time, at least on one channel
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Timing isn't a huge problem as TiVo does have hard padding as standard, and may even include some form of softpadding.

I agree FTA isn't enough on it's own, but the hopes are that this system (using Engin ADSL2+) will be an option to pay TV through it's download capabilities. New release movies will be available for (paid) download, as will other free and paid programming via the net. Making this TiVo more like an offline IPTV box.

Peter.

PS. At least with channel 7 behind it the shows might run on time, at least on one channel
    Is it possible that since this has a legit EPG, it can sync with the broadcast EPG to get the the amended end of show correct?

... or am I dreaming here?

Cheer Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ozNick View Post
    Is it possible that since this has a legit EPG, it can sync with the broadcast EPG to get the the amended end of show correct?

... or am I dreaming here?

Cheer Nick
    I was hoping the same thing, but as I mentioned about the NRL and their Golden Point. It could run anywhere from 1 second to 20 minutes over depending on the game itself. (granted NRL is on Channel 9), but you get the picture. (pardon the pun)
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

A bit more on the subject as of today, still no good if you can't run on time.

Lara Sinclair | July 06, 2007
    THE digital TV take-up looks set to rise, following the commercial television industry's decision to launch a free electronic program guide (EPG) covering all free-to-air channels within three months.

The service will enable consumers to automate recording of TV shows on all free-to-air networks using digital recording platforms and make it easier for people to watch shows when it suits them.

Nine and Ten, as well as regional players such as Prime and WIN, have backed Seven's TiVo digital video-recording platform, which will have access to the EPG.

But Foxtel will not get access. Subscribers to its iQ DVR will need to use a free-TV-approved service to record Seven and Ten programs, which are unavailable on Foxtel's digital platform.
    Last edited by pjpete; 06-07-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added some of my thoughts :)

Seven Network's director of digital media, Rohan Lund is interviewed by the SMH. Giving details of potential on demand video that will be available. Also hints at a reasonable monthly service fee of $10.00

http://www.smh.com.au/articles

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

What if this never happens? Tivo did the same thing to Canada years ago and they still cannot purchase units or get true warranty support.
    Here is a random story from 2005 which reminds me of the Australian announcement
    http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...f-1caf88454192

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    What if this never happens?
    Then nothing changes

But realistically unlike Canada, the agreement here is for both support and distribution using 2 separate companies. TiVo themselves will not be here.

The distribution company is currently advertising for a PR manager to co-ordinate the launch of TiVo & the support companies had advertised for software engineers to fine tune for local needs.

Peter.

More news today.

TiVo will fail, says pay TV exec
    Lara Sinclair | August 20, 2007
    PAY-TV sales company Multi Channel Network has cast doubt on the future of the digital video-recording platform TiVo, which is backed by the Seven Network, telling advertisers the venture may never get off the ground.

Full story here TiVo will Fail

PetesTrash: Ahh, that sounds more likely then.

pjpete: That article makes me angry and I'm not even in Australia. I'm going to link this thread over on TCF- Tivo UK forum and see what they have to say about it "bombing"

Actually despite the article making you "angry" regarding the comments about UK TiVo there is no denying that Seven clearly *don't* have the TiVo deal all sewn up. They are hinging the success based on having an EPG agreement and people wanting to use the TiVo for broadband rich media. Unfortunately none of which is concrete.

It was less than a year ago that the networks were squabbling about the use of *any* PVR in Australia and having access to EPG for the purpose of setting up automatic recordings.

It is also clear that to get any of this broadband rich content you are going to be forced to take a package deal of a TiVo and subscription from Engin to deliver this service which looks at this stage to be ADSL2+ based. Only problem here is that not everyone can get ADSL2+ (heck some can't even get ADSL!). Case in point is that I am in a growth corridor here in Melbourne and nobody is even game to install ADSL2+ equipment 60km out from the CBD. More importantly not many warm to this "bundling" lock in arrangement idea that seems to drive ISP's these days.

I'm not knocking Seven, TiVo or Engin. Actually I think it is a bold move to introduce TiVo in a country where monopolisation and empire building stifles a lot of new technology. However apart from the few press releases and the couple of employment vacancy offers all I have seen so far is a lot of hot air and nothing substantial to say that TiVo will see the light of day in Australia. And even if it does based on the sales model being portrayed I am less convinced that even if it does get off the ground that it will be the success that Mr Ian Smith says it will.

Put it this way: I'm not going to be the first in line to purchase one when they are finally released. I'll be happy to wait and use my old faithful Series 1 - with or without guide data - to record next years Olympics.... or even my el cheapo $160 twin digital tuner PVR I picked up about a month ago.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!