Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TiVo coming to Australia and New Zealand - Official

The same article was posted to the OzTiVo mailing list today.

It's not exactly surprising that someone from a competing company plays down TiVo potential impact. I expect to see a lot more negative comments from people associated with Foxtel as Rob is.

Rob's role at BskyB was in interactive advertising, and just as he left BskyB announced their suprise at how lucrative this market segment was. He now runs the same dept at MCN providing the red button content for Foxtel.

Should TiVo become successful here it will be taking revenue from both MCN and Foxtel.

As to TiVo in the UK it was a mistake, TiVo Inc was already stretched in the US and they entered the market too early with a box that was too expensive with only 40hours on basic. They gave up after only 2 years.

The price when TiVo was first launched into the UK was GBP400 which was fairly quickly dropped to GPB299. That is still a lot of money for most people, add to that the need to cable it to a phone line, it was just too difficult. But realistically unlike Australia, the UK is not known as a country of early adopters.

Marketing was left to 2 retailers, with limited funding from TiVo.

Another benefit for the US which the UK did not have was there were more than one DVR released at the time (replay & microsoft) so consumers were better informed of the potential of DVR's in general.

The situation here is TiVo is not involved hands on at all. Marketing and Distribution will handled by Engin, who are already successful in building their VOIP business. They have already appointed a new CEO who has triple play experience. And Seven providing content. Both companies have deep pockets and both are currently on a high.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Megazone has covered the bias of the article nicely in his Blog.

http://www.tivolovers.com/2007/08/20...-in-australia/

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

That blog puts a lot into perspective and is well written.

The only sticking point that I personally have is this trend to "bundle" items. I'd prefer to simply buy a TiVo from my local retailer, subscribe and hook up to my current ISP.

However with the Seven/Engin partnership deal I have a gut feeling that to subscribe will mean having to pledge some sort of allegiance to Engin.

Time will tell I guess.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I agree with the issue of bundling espically if you are happy with your current providor.

I don't what options will be available, but bundling is needed because most people are currently on plans of <500mb a month which is not enough to download movies, and alot of them are on 256k plans which will make the downloads a pain.

Peter.

Recent article about the Aus TiVo here: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14429/532/

So all up it's a Channel 7 Hard Disk Recorder at best with a few 9 and SBS shows thrown in. Not a great advertisement really for such a powerful device.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

I don't understand your post?

All FTA channels will be available via Dual Digital tuners in SD and HD where available.

Also new release films will be available on demand via ADSL connection.

Amongst many other features.

What's wrong with that?

Peter.

The www.tivo.com.au website seems to have been updated. It now lists some of the features we can expect. There is not heaps on it but it has got a little on the on-line aspect which uses something called universal swivel switch plus a parental control called kidzone. Also we are getting the mp3 playback, picture viewer and web scheduling.

Invitation for Beta Testers now on TiVo website.

Got this email the other day...

http://www.tivolovers.com/2008/01/07...-in-australia/ talks about the Get Involved stuff.