Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TiVo coming to Australia and New Zealand - Official

Talking TiVo coming to Australia and New Zealand - Official

it's official, TiVo are going to launch in Australia and New Zealand in 2008

Read the official press release here

http://www.tivo.com/cms_static/press_147.html

I'm lining up now to buy a machine or two. :-)

Charlie

Interesting news - wonder what the capabilities will be?

Probably only DVB-T, but additional analogue (for FoxTel etc) would give it an edge over something like the BeyondWiz SP-1 which appears to be the king of Digital PVRs this week.

Nick

They have an Australian site already www.mytivo.com.au

But limited details so far.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Can you mod the Series 3 Tivo's? Does this mean the NTSC problem can be worked around?

Highly doubtful. There are hardware measures as well as software ones in Series 2.5 and Series 3 that will not allow this, and all current software used in all 2/2.5/3 does not allow use without a valid subscription.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

The obvious question is how this is going to affect oztivo - it would be likely that we would become illegal?

How it will it effect OzTiVo is currently unknown.

As to becoming illegal, I personally feel TiVo will Request our emulator be shutdown.

Reality is we just don't know yet.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post

As to becoming illegal, I personally feel TiVo will Request our emulator be shutdown.
    Hard to say, but here's a business model that could work, but somehow I doubt if they will have the imagination for it.

Leave OzTiVo alone, and let us continue supporting Series 1. I suspect many of our users will be in the line to buy a new machine as soon as they are released, because we are already sold on the benefit of a TiVo. We will also be evangelists for other users. Even if new people bring series 1's into Australia and use them on OzTiVo, they are likely to find they like them and move up to the real thing.

Of they could offer an Australian image for the series 1, which will let you do GS and connect to their server, and pay their subscription?

However, as I said, it all seems unlikely, and I think Peter's guess is what will happen.

Charlie
    Last edited by petestrash; 03-06-2007 at 05:20 PM.

In reality you are providing a television guide service. What machine you have at the other end is really my business not yours.

So I guess there may be some loopholes in respect to that. You provide a machine which has television guide, I download it for my Sony playstation (well that's my story), theoretically you are not providing a TiVo service (as such). Although some highly paid lawyer fresh out of uni will probably dispute that with some technical jargon which nobody can decipher.

Will be interesting, I personally may even take 7 up on the offer, and still keep the series 1 for my kids programs. They get a subscriber, I get a new series 3 machine.
    Last edited by petestrash; 03-06-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

TiVo coming here will have no direct effect on our guide service, which already serves plenty of non TiVo users via our XMLTV feed.

The issues possibly under threat is the community slice generator, emulator and OzTiVo image. Putting the image problem aside the worst that will happen is people will need to make their own slices from any source they choose, and either upload direct to their TiVo or run thier own emulator.

Ugly, but not impossible.

As for you expecting to buy a series 3 unit locally, I wouldn't be expecting too much yet. They have only stated support for DVB-T, but have not mentioned HD. So most likely SD only at this stage.

Peter.