Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TiVo coming to Australia and New Zealand - Official

Here is an interesting bit of the tabloid...

TiVo connects you to the world of entertainment from free to air broadcasters & the internet. Your TiVo will bring you the best entertainment from TiVo's content partners - some of the leading names in Australian entertainment. Through TiVo's online scheduling you will be able to instruct your TiVo to record your favourite shows from anywhere you have access to the web.

Just reading that seems to indicate to me that they will not offer any programming guide from the Pay TV channels (and why should they if they are in competition). So it might just be a TiVo service for 5 channels and that's about it? (ok maybe 15 with all the Digital ones, granted, but that would just mean a million repeats).
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

Correct. That subject has already been mused over on the OzTiVo email digest, and at present it looks exactly like that.

In fact I would even go as far as saying that unless all FTA parties start to agree with one another then it might not even be a full FTA guide data service either!

And at that, with their love to want to make shows run overtime I want to know how they think a paid for service will meet consumer expectations to record things to a schedule
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

So the question arises.. should we all panic and sell our tivos?

Cheers,
    ZollyMonsta

Why? Here are the facts:

1. There has been nothing further mentioned since the press release a week ago. For all we know this could be a hoax to see how much it can stir up the OzTiVo community! Or it could be just a clever way to gauge consumer response.

2. Neither nzTiVo or OzTiVo have been approached with a "cease and desist" order. Maybe Series 1 is not on their radar? I doubt very much that TiVo would make hobby hacked Series 1 units compatible with their offerings. Until TiVo and Seven make the next move we don't know (and frankly I don't care!)

3. It's not like the Series 1 needs tethering to anything to continue to function. Sure, a nice "on tap" guide data service is nice but you can either DIY (ah, the good ol days of "screen scraping"!) or you can run the TiVo guideless.... Unlike, mind you, the Series 2 units that will be on retail offer with the newer firmware that ARE useless without a valid subscription. (keep that in mind if after a period of time Seven and/or TiVo decide that it is not a financial success and pull the service).

I've actually got some questions for those at Seven Media:

1. Why is it, that after years of the industry shunning PVR's with Guide Data that it is now suddenly the next "must have" gadget?

2. Furthermore, how are all you media moguls going to agree on a system that satisfies all your empires? Last time I looked you lot are in competition and such a "joint effort" across the whole board would be as successful as everyone agreeing on what to have for lunch.

and 3. After years of chopping and changing TV program lineups at the last moment and continually running overtime as a measure of stopping people from switching channels, how are you going to now handle having to stick to a regimented guide schedule? If people are paying for the service then I am sure you will be legally obliged to honour that service without the blatant disregard you now show for keeping to any proper schedule.

Anyone from TiVo or Seven Media that wishes to break their silence knows how to contact the major contributors in nz/OzTiVo. You are most welcome to have a chat about the future whenever you like.

Until further is known personally I'm just taking the "nothing changes" attitude. Adopting the "Chicken Little" approach at this juncture is very much over-the-top
    Last edited by Darren King; 05-06-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I agree with Darren on most points, just wish to add a few more.

1. They haven't given any details about New Zealand plans yet. So no current issues for New Zealanders, so no panic

2. Expanding on Darren's 3rd point. Even screen scraping is not potentialy on the horizon. Minnie will continue to provide xmltv data, which as a worse case senario will allow people to make their own slices at home. This is what the Canadian users did before TiVo arrived, and continue to do now.

Adding to my last comment, TiVo made no threats to the Canadians and even though the situation is different here I hope there will be little difference.

Let's just wait and see.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 08-06-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks Darren and Pete

I am interested to see what hardware they plan on bringing over. The downloadable content stuff and DVB only sound a lot like series 3 but for terrestrial and without HD. Are they going to include any analogue support for external STB's, if they are it is more like a Series 2. Either way, I guess it is going to be hardware specifically for this market (and possibly other non US territories).

As for the guide data, they made it work in the UK. All digital terrestrial broadcasters must provide guide data to a central source, this data is then broadcast over the air in the DVB multiplexes and can be picked up by any STB. Obviously this system would screw tivo's subscription plans though.

Also I am sure however that Tivo will be able to license universal guide data for all the channels it wants to support from somewhere, the same place that tv guide websites and Windows Media Center get it from (I assume WinMCE can get guide data in Aus/NZ, I have to admit I dont actually know).

We can only guess as to the final specs, but it's fairly certain the box will be a upgrade of the current TGC units & will share similar architecture between the Australian, New Zealand, & UK versions.

To fill you in regarding guide data, MCE has not included EPG here in Australia as they were unable to. Most users roll there own guide. There is one commercial guide supplier who has been taken to Federal Court by one of the FTA stations for breach of copyright. When I last spoke with the guide supplier (icetv) they were still awaiting the verdict, but felt confident.

Also the EPG supplied over the air by the FTA broadcasters leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes you get only the next couple of hours, other times you get a few days.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

A little more info has become available.
    http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.a...oryName=386865
    &
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...414547016.html

In short:
    Box cost around $400
    Subscription cost around $10 per month
    commercial skipping not available
    EPG available for all FTA channels
    EPG unlikely to be available for Foxtel
    likely to be packaged with an ADSL2+ service
    movies and other content available by download

Peter.

Still not an attractive service really. As Darren mentioned previously, not much point in a time based recorder if you can never guarantee you will run on time (Golden Point in NRL springs to mind instantly, along with other sporting events). And since a lot of people have PayTV, pretty useless having just 5 channels of guide data.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB