I have introduced my neighbour to Tivo and it has been working fine for six months or so on the 1.6.0 image. When I installed it I had to set the network timing to 16 (failsafe) in order for it to work. It uses a Turbonet revision 2.2.

Last week I updated the image using the standard instructions. Now I don't know if this caused the problem, or if it a coincidence.

The networking is now very poor. About 5-10% of the pings make it through. I can telnet using Putty about 1 in 10 tries, but it is extremely slow and drops out quickly. All of the daily calls fail and so there is no guide data.

I have downloaded the 1.6.2 image but the image installers 1.23 and 1.24 (via online update) will not save the timing setting to oztivo.conf. This is a known problem with nic_config_tivo that apparently has been fixed in some places but not others.

I tried putting the Tivo disk (as slave) into my PC running Ubuntu 6.06 but it wouldn't recognise it.

I think all I need to do is change timing=3 to timing=16 in oztivo.conf, but I can't work out how to do it. Besides, I don't know what else to troubleshoot until I have telnet back. I don't have a serial cable and I don't want to reimage the disk and lose all my neighbour's shows. Any ideas?