Thread: lost telnet following update_oztivo

Question lost telnet following update_oztivo

I have introduced my neighbour to Tivo and it has been working fine for six months or so on the 1.6.0 image. When I installed it I had to set the network timing to 16 (failsafe) in order for it to work. It uses a Turbonet revision 2.2.

Last week I updated the image using the standard instructions. Now I don't know if this caused the problem, or if it a coincidence.

The networking is now very poor. About 5-10% of the pings make it through. I can telnet using Putty about 1 in 10 tries, but it is extremely slow and drops out quickly. All of the daily calls fail and so there is no guide data.

I have downloaded the 1.6.2 image but the image installers 1.23 and 1.24 (via online update) will not save the timing setting to oztivo.conf. This is a known problem with nic_config_tivo that apparently has been fixed in some places but not others.

I tried putting the Tivo disk (as slave) into my PC running Ubuntu 6.06 but it wouldn't recognise it.

I think all I need to do is change timing=3 to timing=16 in oztivo.conf, but I can't work out how to do it. Besides, I don't know what else to troubleshoot until I have telnet back. I don't have a serial cable and I don't want to reimage the disk and lose all my neighbour's shows. Any ideas?

Update:
    I made a serial cable and set up the connection in WinXP as per instructions in the OzTivo wiki, but I couldn't get a connection.

Tonight I'm going to try again to mount the disk in a Linux box and view/edit the various config files. Can anyone refer me to some helpful instructions and a good boot disk?

Why don't you just use the latest installer CD and redo the networking options from the menu? You don't need to reinstall the image to check/modify the network settings.

Also, there is no such thing as a "Turbonet 2.2" card. You either mean a Turbonet card (the one without a RAM memory slot) or a Cachecard (the one with a RAM memory slot).
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks Darren, but can I use the installer disk to manually edit files on the Tivo disk? As I said above, the installer menu will not save the Timing setting for a Turbonet card.

On the network card PCB in tiny writing it says "Turbonet 2.2".

The original image on the disk was 1.6.0. I see now that PPP wasn't fixed until 1.6.2 and that in theory a fixed version of nic_config_tivo has been uploaded to rsync, but for some reason the installer disk update (1.24) doesn't pick this up. Since I have run update_oztivo, these should have been fixed though. Starting to get a bit confused.

I'll sacrifice my Ubuntu disk to image a 1.6.2 tivo test disk to confirm it is not a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tegandrew View Post
    Thanks Darren, but can I use the installer disk to manually edit files on the Tivo disk? As I said above, the installer menu will not save the Timing setting for a Turbonet card.
    Timing setting does not affect being able to access via Telnet or not. I'd be more inclined to think a MAC address issue or something not so easily spotted. Your comment is strange as I was lead to believe this issue of the timing setting not sticking was resolved. At any rate I would first off get a copy of the latest installer CD and try what I mentioned in my previous post.

On the network card PCB in tiny writing it says "Turbonet 2.2".
    You are right. On looking at a PCB it does say "Turbonet revision 2.2". First time I have seen that, and just so happens to correspond to the latest version of a cachecard that also is revision 2.2. My apologies. At any rate it does not matter. If you have a Turbonet of any version then you pick Turbonet as the type of card, so this is not the root cause of your problem either.

The original image on the disk was 1.6.0. I see now that PPP wasn't fixed until 1.6.2 and that in theory a fixed version of nic_config_tivo has been uploaded to rsync, but for some reason the installer disk update (1.24) doesn't pick this up. Since I have run update_oztivo, these should have been fixed though. Starting to get a bit confused.
    You've lost me. Unfortunately software I can't help with. Petestrash must be MIA with work duties as he usually would have posted a reply by now.

I'll sacrifice my Ubuntu disk to image a 1.6.2 tivo test disk to confirm it is not a hardware issue.
    If you have another small hard disk from 6GB upwards you could use that too. I doubt a hardware issue if it was working immediately up to the software update. But a test hard disk will give you some pointers.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Fixed!

I think it was update_oztivo that caused the problem.

Following the instructions labelled StopRebootLoop (there must be a better title than this...) I edited oztivo.conf to fix the problems I believe (but can't prove) were caused when I updated the tivo.

oztivo.conf before (1.6.0 install, 1.6.2 2007 update)
    IP=192.168.x.x
    mac=00:0D:XX:XX:XX:XX
    hostname=
    modem=0
    pppondss=0
    emulator=minnie.....
    emulatorport=80
    netmask=255......
    gateway=192.168.x.x

Fixed by adding:
    nic=TurboNet
    timing=16

and removing:
    modem=0
    pppondss=0

and changing
    hostname=oztivo

There was also a complicating factor in that I removed the Turbonet card to have a closer look at it and ensure that it was seated properly. Turns out when I put it back there was a bad connection.

Hope this is of use to some people. Took me about 10 hours to work it out...

Sorry, have been away a couple of days.

I would be supprised if the timing setting was causing your problems.

I will double check the nic_config_tivo version included in the 1.24 menu update is the same as the most recent version in rsync which has the timing settings fixed.

Glad you have got it resolved.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!