Thread: Help with Installing new image. WAS:Help with telnet

Help with Installing new image. WAS:Help with telnet

I'm installing the Tivo per "http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4" and am at the step where I need to telnet now, as I was at the general installation screen (asking for US postal codes and such).

I tried to do it last night but wasn't sure exactly how to connect and go forward from there.

Would anyone have a guide on how to connect? I think this is the hardest part of the manual, everything else looks pretty straight forward (but any other tips on how to do certain steps would be great!)

My IP address for my Tivo is 20.20.20.64. I have it plugged into a router, who's address is 20.20.20.1. I'm on XP if that helps.

Cheers!
    James

James,

Don't know why you have to Telnet, the OzTivo install didn't require me to but here's how to telnet.

Go get Puttytel from here:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

Configure your IP address in the Host name(or IP) box and over in the left-hand side box under Connection -> Telnet untick the box that says "Return key sends newline instead of". Then click open and you should get to the TiVo.

Cheers,
    Phred

I'm fairly sure those instructions are outdated, and the new version doesn't require the same steps.

I'll move your question to the NZ specific thread, and hopefully someone will point you in the right direction.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I'm not having any luck. I tried installing the image again, making sure that Turbonet was set up....but it doesn't look like anything has changed (for the setup process).

I'm still getting the same default US looking setup screens asking me for:
    A. a zip code (I found this link - http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912 - and used 02113 for NZ Sky Satellite)
    B. A 3 digit area code (NZ of course only has 2 digits)
    C. To dial out on the modem (which I'm not using since I have turbonet)

I tried each option (antenna, cable, satellite), but all of them required a phone call out on the modem.

I haven't seen anywhere in the setup menu that gives me the option to use Turbonet, or anything referring to NZ or Oz.....other than when it started up I saw "Maintenance Mode" NZtivo based on ozTivo 1.5.

Is there a newer version I should be using? Or something that I should be doing? (The Tivo loads up, I see the Oz/NZ Tivo 1.5 screen for about 20 seconds, and then the setup screen comes on, asking to dial out on the modem, not turbonet).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And another question about setup as well. I'm using a Motorola STB for Sky. Once I find out how to get it going ok, will it have the settings for my STB? Or is there a link to how to set that up?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your help guys. A little frustrated with how things are going, but this forum is a huge help. Without it I doubt I'd even have tried to use a Tivo in NZ.
    Last edited by jamesthecarman; 10-05-2007 at 08:16 PM.

As Pete says those instructions are a little outdated and do not apply to the new NZ images. The new images are fully setup to control current NZ Sky STB's. You shouldn't need any extra setup as long as you have downloaded the supported NZ images as per below.
    I presume you downloaded the nzTiVo-Philips-Installer-Aug06TWP.iso from the NZ FTP site? ftp.orac.caffeine.co.nz/images/nzTiVo-Philips-Installer-Aug06TWP.iso

If so, when you are imaging your Tivo with the install cdrom, you should be in the menu which will allow you to setup the Turbonet card.

Once you have imaged the Tivo, follow these instructions.. http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=959

You are probably getting confused with these Guided Setup steps below.. It may seem like a modem call, but infact it is not, it is done over the turbonet, as long as you have one installed and have set it up during the imaging process via the install menu.

# "Phone Dialing Options" select 'no : continue' and press 'select' on 3.0 images. Note for the UK 2.5.5 software you'll need to enter the broadband dialing code ",#401"
    # "Setup Call" Press select to go past this screen
    # It will take a while to connect and do it's thing. The tivo will connect and download the headend, logo slices, IR slice and any messages.

Sorry about the confusion. I would love to update the nztivo wiki site but have no time with keeping other nztivo things running, we have requested other users to help in keeping the wiki site upto date, obviously this hasn't happened.
    Last edited by jaidev; 10-05-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Yep, the image file is from "ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images/" and I'm using nzTiVo-Philips-Installer-Aug06TWP.iso

I'll take a look at those instructions now. And as long as I understand it and all, I'll definitely update the wiki.

Cheers!

It's not working, but I think I know what's wrong. When I was doing the turbonet instructions I put in 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask. My router is using 255.0.0.0.

Other than that everything looks like it should be fine.

I'm not sure if you would be able to telnet with the wrong netmask. But if you can, just change the setting in /etc/oztivo.conf to 255.0.0.0.

If easier for you, just re-do the install from scratch.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!