Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tivo with freeview STB

Tivo with freeview STB

Greetings.

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been discussed before, but I checked and searched and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone tested tivo with freeview? I'm very interested in dumping my crap analogue setup, and moving to freeview, but am currently unsure what STB to use etc. I know that most of what's on the market should be able to pickup the digital feed, but am interested in other peoples freeview NZ experience(s), esp w.r.t. STB make, model, configuration, setup, ir codes etc.

Also (not really tivo related...), does anyone know if it is possible to have a DVR (with SCART) control a STB and have it change it's channel via. the SCART interface? (there may still be hope for my mother (and mother-in-law) who all have nice flash DVR's that only do analogue terrestrial...

Cheers -

I don't know much about the Freeview implimentation in NZ, but I assume it is similar to the UK. There are plenty of PVR's available with freeview built in.

Check pvruk for some examples.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Huh. I asked much the same thing a few weeks back, and got no reply... Just now came by to see if email notification was busted or something, seems my thread is gone without a trace. Guess I'll follow this one, as I'm curious about the same thing.

We did lose some posts last week when the board went down.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Freeview

As you can see here http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912 DJC added the headends for Freeview a while ago. I'm not sure if they now include TV3 and C4 (just came online recently). I got a Strong STB (satellite) on Saturday and will set up a TiVo for Freeview during the week.

Just today I completed a project of mine which consisted a Topfield TF5200CI receiving freeview with only prime left on terrestrial.

the STB is controlled by the TiVo using Serial

my experiments with IR on set top boxes put me off IR for good which is why I went for serial

working well so far, I'll post more info if anyone is interested (big project though!)

Always interested to hear more on peoples TIVo projects.

Most boxes here only use the serial port for updates and cannot be controlled. I am only aware of one user here with a Toshiba box that used serial, so any info on your implimentation could benefit others.

Peter.

The Headend for FreeView has been changed to setup the channel information correctly so STB's can change to the correct FreeView channels.

I have acquired a Kaon KSF-620R2 Multiroom STB for freeview, I was after an STB that had dual tuners without the PVR functionality!
    I have a dual output universal LNB which had Sky Multiroom on each output. My idea was to put in a splitter to have the multiroom setup from one LNB output and the other output for Freeview. I was told by a couple of Freeview outlets this wouldn’t work since Sky hasn’t switched to horizontal.
    However I advised them that it's possible it could work since the universal LNB I have supports independant polarity on each of it's outputs. To test this I changed the Sky channel on 1 decoder to 888, the horizontal polarity test channel. It didnt affect the other decoder.

I setup my Kaon against our Headend 02110 and it is working happily independent of Sky and I only have a single dish to worry about.
    Thanks to whoever in Oztivo loaded the Kaon IR codes works perfectly, and saved me a heap of time!
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by jaidev View Post
    I setup my Kaon against our Headend 02110 and it is working happily independent of Sky and I only have a single dish to worry about.
    Thanks to whoever in Oztivo loaded the Kaon IR codes works perfectly, and saved me a heap of time!
    Sounds like more or less just what I'm looking to do, assuming cost isn't too high... Whereabouts did you get the STB? A quick check of google didn't help much...

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Always interested to hear more on peoples TIVo projects.

Most boxes here only use the serial port for updates and cannot be controlled. I am only aware of one user here with a Toshiba box that used serial, so any info on your implimentation could benefit others.

Peter.
    my implementation is perhaps a little more ambitous than most, my Topfield TF5000CI does offer control via the serial port but doesn't speak the same language as the TiVo so I built this translater board which consists of an Atmel Atmega162 (the only PTH AVR with two UARTs) it's actually pretty simple (Board in the middle).

Basically it translates the TiVo APG protocol to the Topfield CLI.

I went down this path because it was easier than sitting around trying to figure out how to do this with just the TiVo, also having this external entity powered by the STB allows me to ensure the STB is always in the correct state.

I had a look at the solution of another member using the toshiba box but unfortunatly this solution had very long channel change latency, with my solution the channel changes are instant and very reliable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inaxeon; 14-05-2007 at 03:52 PM.