Thread: Help - I can't change channels

Question Help - I can't change channels

Hi all.
    I received my Diskless TiVo today. I installed the HDD and network card and did the Guided setup. All worked perfectly except I cannot change channels through the TiVo.
    I have a Teac DVB300 STB connected to the TiVo and an IR Blaster connected to the TiVo. In the Guided setup when it got to the part about using Fast, Medium or Slow - none of them changed the channel.
    What do I do now?
    Any help or advice will be much appreciated

Did you change the input options on the TiVo so it recognised the input coming from the STB?

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Only in the Guided Setup. Is there a physical switch or something on the TiVo?

Thanks

No, nothing physical, just the bit in guided set up.

Just to check, you can see a picture, it won't change channels?

Have you pluged the IR Blaster into the correct port, not the seriel one, on the back of the TiVo.

Otherwise it seems to me you might have a dodgy IR blaster. The TiVo also broadcasts the IR codes out of the front of it, so if you put them facing each other, you might be able to get it to work that way.

That's about all I can think of. If that doesn't work, you might want to ask the question on the mailing list where there are a lot more experts who might have some other ideas.

Charlie

Question

Hi
    Yes I can see a picture and I record fine. But the TiVo won't change the channels. I can use my STB remote to change channels. I have the IR Blaster plugged into the correct port - not the serial one.

I tried facing the 2 boxes at each other - still no luck.

I just redid the guided setup - it didn't ask any specific questions about IR except the Fast, medium, Slow bit, none of which changed the channel.

Deep Trub??

Checking the IR Operation

Hi Smegger,

You can check that the IR cable is working by watching the blasters on the LCD screen of a digital camera while the TiVo is trying to change the channel. You should see them briefly flash.

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

Thanks David
    I will give that a try.

I redid the guided setup following the GuidedSetup30 web page and when I got to point 12 - Control - Select IR- This part isn't in the guided setup on screen. So I can't select IR.

Does anybody know whats happened here and give any advice?

Thanks again

Smegger,

Now that's a clue.

You did select Cable as your input source didn't you as listed in step 1 (although it's not the clearest wording). I have always used this, but if you use something else, I seem to remember other people having the same problem as you.

It's not intuitive, so a few people go to something else, and wonder why they don't get any results.

Charlie

Hi Charlie

I'm pretty certain I chose Cable but I will go through it again to make sure

Steve