Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TiVoWebPlus 1.3.1 suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Use this thread for suggestions to improve TWP modules.

At this point Thomson is the only one actively working on providing improvements locally, but can only do so as time and inclination allows.

If you feel you can help, please speak up.

Peter.
    OK two things that have occurred to me.

It would be good to have a way from within TWP to run the update_oztivo command.

The second one is a way of moving files to the TiVo and expanding them. It would need to specify where the file goes to, and where it comes from.

Both of these would be a great help to people who want to update and modify their TiVo, but are not comfortable with command line. Many of the hacks for the TiVo tell you where to put the file, but don't tell you how to copy the file to the TiVo and then expand it.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charliektm400exc View Post
    OK two things that have occurred to me.

It would be good to have a way from within TWP to run the update_oztivo command.

The second one is a way of moving files to the TiVo and expanding them. It would need to specify where the file goes to, and where it comes from.
    Charlie,

Your first request is already a feature of TWP. Under SysAdmin there is a Script feature. Just type your instructions there and it will be executed.

But even simpler for the update command, just use the existing trickey sequence, press Clear, 9, 2, Clear on your remote to update the OzTiVo software.

As for the second request, an FTP client running on your PC/MAC already does a better job than TWP would do, with a better interface and minimal load on the TIVo. For example smartFTP will allow you to extract files on remote machines.

Also, there is a school of thought that if someone is not comfortable entering commands into telnet, then they probably shouldn't be installing the files in the first place as they will not have the skills to fix any problems or provide relevent info to help track down the fault.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Charlie,

Your first request is already a feature of TWP. Under SysAdmin there is a Script feature. Just type your instructions there and it will be executed.

But even simpler for the update command, just use the existing trickey sequence, press Clear, 9, 2, Clear on your remote to update the OzTiVo software.

As for the second request, an FTP client running on your PC/MAC already does a better job than TWP would do, with a better interface and minimal load on the TIVo. For example smartFTP will allow you to extract files on remote machines.

Also, there is a school of thought that if someone is not comfortable entering commands into telnet, then they probably shouldn't be installing the files in the first place as they will not have the skills to fix any problems or provide relevent info to help track down the fault.

Peter.
    Peter,

OK didn't twig to the idea of using the script part.

Have never been able to get tricky to work. Only ever tried it on a couple of TiVo's that were updated from V3. Never been a problem in the past as I could just as easily do the updates in Telnet. I'm just about to image a disk with 1.6.2 from scratch, so will see if tricky works on this.

My problem is not with people who can't use telnet commands, it's the fact that people can't remember how to do the moving etc. This is just a way of making things easier for them.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by thomson View Post
    As an interim fix the latest distribution has support for a fastfwd (f) and fastrwd (r) keypress within the webremote module.
    I have a very minor problem invoking these (and other) keyboard commands. When I click and load 'Web Remote' in TWP (20070329 dist) it loads the URL
    http://TIVO.IP/sendkey
    (note: no trailing '/').

Then, when I type 'f', it tries to load:
    http://TIVO.IP/forward,forward,forward
    which gives the 'Not Found [ha ha]' error.

If I manually add the '/' <enter> in the URL, then type 'f', I get the seemingly correct:
    http://TIVO.IP/sendkey/forward,forward,forward
    ie. I don't get the 'Not Found' error (but haven't looked at TV to see if it has desired effect...)

Note that Web Remote all looks good and clicking on buttons all works well. If I first click a button and then type 'f', that also seems to work. Problem only exists when 'f' (or any other keyboard key press) is typed immediately after loading Web Remote page.

Am I doing anything wrong?
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
    can't read "::conf(Prefix)": no such variable
    Sorry... typo. Would have affected users of IE6. Should be fixed in 070403.

The packages can be updated from the command line using the instructions on the web site. Basically you just need to transfer the bundle to the TiVo and then "cd /var/hack" and "tar xvzf tivowebplus-v1.3.1-070403.tgz"

Quote Originally Posted by mpnash View Post
    I have a very minor problem invoking these (and other) keyboard commands. When I click and load 'Web Remote' in TWP (20070329 dist) it loads the URL http://TIVO.IP/sendkey (note: no trailing '/').
    I am not sure what would be removing the trailing '/' ? Are you able to let me know what browser you are using, and what exactly the steps are you take to replicate the issue (eg, start browser, go to TWP and click on "Web Remote")

Today's release has fixed the errors encountered in the 29th of March release.

I do now have an error with any key press in web remote.

For example the new triple command 'f', does send the 3 ffwd commands, but then shows:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
    --cut here--
    action_sendkey '/forward,forward,forward' ''
    can't read "url_prefix": no such variable
    while executing
    "return "

""
    (procedure "IE_alpha_support" line 4)
    invoked from within
    "IE_alpha_support"
    (procedure "html_start" line 34)
    invoked from within
    "html_start "Web Remote""
    (procedure "::action_sendkey" line 33)
    invoked from within
    "::action_$action $chan $part $env"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
    "eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
    --cut here--
    The same error with any keypress including the originals.

Sorry,

Peter.

Edit. I get the same error when trying any module now. the only page that works is the home page.
    Last edited by petestrash; 03-04-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thomson View Post
    I am not sure what would be removing the trailing '/' ? Are you able to let me know what browser you are using, and what exactly the steps are you take to replicate the issue (eg, start browser, go to TWP and click on "Web Remote")
    I use Firefox. Steps are:
    1. Open New Tab
    2. type TIVO.IP into URL
    3. click on "Web Remote" at top menu - URL is http://TIVO.IP/sendkey (no trailing '/')
    4. type 'f' - URL is http://TIVO.IP/forward,forward,forward -> haha error

Note that if I click on a web remote button, (e.g. forward >>) after step 3 above, then this works OK. After doinf this, typing 'f' then also works OK. So error only occurs when 'f' is the first thing done after the 'Web Remote' top menu item is clicked.
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite

I do now have an error with any key press in web remote.
    Redownload the 070404 release which should fix this... or use IE7, Opera or FireFox :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mpnash View Post
    I use Firefox. Steps are:
    1. Open New Tab
    2. type TIVO.IP into URL
    3. click on "Web Remote" at top menu - URL is http://TIVO.IP/sendkey (no trailing '/')
    Must be some fancy firewall or proxy system doing that... because I develop the application using FireFox and have never seen that occur. Seems that whatever it is, is removing any trailing /'s. Will see if there is a simple work-around, but still be nice to figure out the root cause.