Thread: Testing latest nztivo Dec06RC1 UK image

Testing latest nztivo Dec06RC1 UK image

Hiya.

I've got a small problem, and I seem to remember reading about something similar, but can't find the original source. I've searched through many of the forum posts etc., but nothing seems to relate to my current problem...

I've setup a thompson UK tivo (turbonet card) with Dec06RC1 nz tivo image. It's all run very very well so far, GS downloaded (currently indexing...), and the Hamilton postcodes are sweet as - thanx guys!

However, with a scart->s-video cable, the only pictures that come out are in black and white. This is for the Guided Setup as well as the channels.

Any ideas what is causing this? (I see references to potentially defective video chips and other things, but I don't want to bundle it up and send off for repair until I've checked with those that have re-imaged a UK tivo before!)

So, what else do I need to do? Is the black-and-white problem common?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers -

Running one of the latest NzTiVo or OzTiVo images on a UK Thompson TiVo should give you colour output by default.

It may be possible your SCART to S-Video cable is only transferring the Luminance (brightness) signal and not the Chrominance (colour) signal - both which make up a full colour picture in the S-Video format.

Easiest way to check is to try another cable. I recommend to get one of those SCART adaptor plugs that has a SCART plug on one side and at least a single RCA video connector (or one with both the RCA and S-Video connector) on the other so you can 100% rule out a problem with your current hookup.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanx for that Darren.

I suspect that you were right. Unfortunately, the TV that I'm now plugging into doesn't have any spare AV input's, so I've set it to output on RF channel 50. It's now coming through crystal clear and in colour as well.

The problem that I have now is that the time is wrong... I'll research some timezone issues, and see where that leads me to.

Incidentally, the Tivo doesn't have a spare ethernet jack, so I'm using a pair of Zyxel G-570s wireless routers. One is setup as the access point, and the other as the wireless client, with ethernet connected to Tivo. Seems to work very well (so far) in houses where you can't cable up.

Cheers -

Quote Originally Posted by slangnz View Post
    the TV that I'm now plugging into doesn't have any spare AV input's, so I've set it to output on RF channel 50. It's now coming through crystal clear and in colour as well.
    Good-o! If you are getting colour this way then it is not the video chip. At the very least it is the previously mentioned cable, or at most something in the SCART connector plug or associated area on the motherboard. Just keep it in mind if you ever try for non-RF connection in the future.

The problem that I have now is that the time is wrong... I'll research some timezone issues, and see where that leads me to.
    Not sure about NZ but over here TiVo's don't seem to like it if you have a firewall with port 37 restricted. If that sounds like you then open up port 37 and see what happens.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanx for that Darren. The problem that I had was that the postcode that I was using (02125) wasn't in the postcodes file. I had to add that to /etc/postcodezones, and then the errors compaining about the postcode went away.

For some reason fixtivotime (when it called rtimetz) didn't actually get to talk to the ntp servers, so I suspect the DSL router or something. Manuall setting the time with settime and adding 02125 to postcodezones seems to ahve done the trick.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow after daylight savings...

Cheers -

Thompson Video Problems

I'm not sure if I have one or two problems with my Thompson.

A bit of background first. I bought the TiVo on TradeMe. When I connected it to AV, the picture was black and white and the sound was fine. When I connected to RF, the picture was in colour but the sound was a loud constant hum. In the setup menus were some Tuner settings for RGB, and when I turned them off, the AV picture disappeared - RF was fine.

To eliminate the SCART-to-RCA converters I used AUX Bypass on the remote and got full colour picture and sound on AV. At least, I think that's cleared the cabling...

Trawled through numerous posts looking for answers, and then discovered that I couldn't telnet to the TiVo. The IP address provided by previous owner didn't work, and neither did a ping sweep of the whole IP address range. At which point I decided to re-image using Dec06RC1. I've assigned a static IP address and default gateway (using router.tivo ... yay). IP connectivity all OK.

Now that the re-image has completed, here are the problems:

Problem 1: AV to TV
    Black and white picture and no sound unless I use the Audio Output ports located between the AUX SCART and RF ports. But the picture is only there until the Guided Setup screen pops up and then I get a blank screen.

Update: 6 Aug: It helps if you have the right type of SCART-to-RCA cables!!! Duh ... I had SCART-to-Component!!! Picture is now full colour, and full sound on AV.

Problem 2: RF to TV
    The RF port, is in full colour, but still has the hum.

Update: 6 Aug: Fixed this too. Configured RF Out on the STB and then matched it in Guided Setup when TiVo needed to configure STB.

Any ideas, anyone? Update: 6 Aug: Thanks to Ben Morgan for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers
    Ty
    Last edited by TyKahu; 06-08-2008 at 02:46 PM.