Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Control stops working nzTivo 1.5

I don't know, but rc.sysinit.author, rc.sysinit.local and rc.sysinit all were used to load hacks in old images.

I don't have any NZ images. And we have gone a different direction since mid last year. We now call a separate file for loading hacks (sysinit.conf).

This stops people from making mistakes in rc.sysinit.author which could potentialy end with the tivo stuck in a reboot loop.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

FYI: Most of the IR hangs I have seen recently have been the cause of remote IR transmitters leaking out interference - which upsets the TiVo's receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by sadrake View Post
    It sounds like the bug then, as I went to look at the logs via TWP but could not access it so rebooted it via telnet. is there a fix for the event bug?

Cheers.
    You might like to check out:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...EvtSwitchFixer
    and there's some related info at:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...orLockedRemote

I have similar problems from time to time (running oztivo 1.6.2), and whilst the above has made things better (I think), it has not resolved the issue for me altogether.
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by thomson View Post
    FYI: Most of the IR hangs I have seen recently have been the cause of remote IR transmitters leaking out interference - which upsets the TiVo's receiver.
    What exactly do you mean by 'remote IR transmitters'? eg.
    1. the TiVo's IR blaster
    2. the TiVo remote
    3. remotes for other devices
    or other?

The only remote we use the TiVo remote (with IR blaster), and I still get this problem every now and then. Hard to remember exact details leading up to it, but I think it happens after:
    a. lots of activity with the TiVo remote; or/and
    b. watching TiVo recordings on my laptop (via TWP asx links)

Is there a log file related to IR activity or db commands or similar that we can use to try and trace the cause of this problem straight after it happens? I once stumbled across a log file that seemed to indicate TiVo remote button presses, but have since forgotten where to find this file. Not sure if it will help...
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by mpnash View Post
    You might like to check out:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...EvtSwitchFixer

I have similar problems from time to time (running oztivo 1.6.2), and whilst the above has made things better (I think), it has not resolved the issue for me altogether.
    EvtSwitchFixer is already included in TWP, look under SysAdmin or your.TiVo's.IP/sysadmin/evtfix

Running it won't fix the problem once locked out though. It may be a preventative.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mpnash View Post
    The only remote we use the TiVo remote (with IR blaster), and I still get this problem every now and then. Hard to remember exact details leading up to it, but I think it happens after:
    a. lots of activity with the TiVo remote; or/and
    b. watching TiVo recordings on my laptop (via TWP asx links)

Is there a log file related to IR activity or db commands or similar that we can use to try and trace the cause of this problem straight after it happens? I once stumbled across a log file that seemed to indicate TiVo remote button presses, but have since forgotten where to find this file. Not sure if it will help...
    Overloading the processor by running extra hacks such as pushing a 2nd stream to your laptop can trigger it.

As can a solid session of TiVo catch-up with a lot of FFWDing and deletions. In fact any IR whether TiVo or not is caught by the TiVo for processing so can bog it down.

As for the log, look in tivoLog.prv for key presses.

Peter.

I have found this somewhere. I hardly use tivoweb. where can i disable it?

My TiVo occasionaly stops responding. What could be wrong?
    Under version 3.0 of the software there is an issue where the system will stop processing remote events. This seems to be caused by a process that hooks into the event system and later stops responding or is unable to process waiting events. It is commonly known as the '3.0 event bug'. To help reduce the risk you may wish to watch what TivoWeb modules and utilities you run. Modules such as 'Phone' hook into the event handler to perform various tasks. It also seems to happen more often after heavy use of a remote control which also implies that a process is not able to clear its queue before hanging.

The TiVo will still record programmes in this 'non-responsive state', it will just not repond to events (such as those created by the remote control). The system can be fixed by either killing the hung process (if you can determine which one it is), or by rebooting.

One of the known causes of the event bug is IR overload, but this is not just TiVo's remote we talk about but any IR signal from any remote or IR source. The TiVo tries to decode them all and they all get added to the queue for processing. It could be that something in your room is producing excessive IR and overloads the TiVo. It may be worth covering the eye at the front of your TiVo for a few days and see if improves your uptimes.

With all the different results and uptimes that people report it is suspected that there must be some hardware issues which causes the same software to act so differently on different TiVo's. Some people had success in curing problems by replacing their power supplies.

If you don't use TivoWeb often, it is better to disable it and start it as-needed. Reloading TivoWeb frequently (i.e. in a cron job) seems to increase the time until lock-up. This shows that TivoWeb is at least partially responsible for this problem.

From comments made on the Australian mailinglist it feels like the minority running the ozTiVo-image have uptimes of over a month and the majority have uptimes of 2 to 4 weeks. Which is liveable. Even a series-2 TiVo with minimal hacks installed, only averages about a month between reboots. Some people reboot their TiVo's each night in a cron-job to reduce the chance of a 'hanging' TiVo.
    Philips HDR X12
    120G + Turbonet

I'm sure at least the last paragraph is something I wrote.

Either way I don't think most of that is relevent anymore. Current TWP releases put much less strain on the TiVo. And from recent tests uptimes do not seem to vary much between a TiVo running TWP or not.

If you want to try for yourself, I think it is started from rc.sysinit.author in the NZ image.

Peter.

I had the freezing remote issue ages ago, it quietly went away. However, since reimaging to the latest NZ image, it seems to be happening a lot lately, doesn't seem to be neccessarily related to excessive IR usage either. Strangely, my sons Tivo is also running the NZ image and never has a problem!

Hi - I too am having remote not working every few days after upgrading to latest NZ image. I have never had it hang in 3 years using my old image.
    Is there a process I can restart via telnet rather than having to reboot?
    I have researched extensively and there doesn't seem to be an easy solution to the problem - mine is definitely not caused by other IR and it seems to happen when not particularly overloading the Tivo with with keypresses.
    I would also appreciate the command to stop and start Tivoweb via telnet.
    Regards
    Brian