Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: starting recording early and late finish

Good summary Pete. I would like to add that having just discovered Negpad, I think this is the most useful feature of Endpadplus (Negpad forces extra time to be added to the end of a scheduled recording even if another recording is due to start - I'd much rather see the ends of shows than the first few minutes of the beginnings).

No more cutting off the end of "Lost" or having to wait until next weeks "Survivor" to see who got voted off last week as Tivo had jumped to the next scheduled recording prior to the show finishing.

All this makes for HWS (Happy Wife Syndrome)

Phil

The post was just meant to clarify the confusion between hard padding and soft padding.

As I said "Endpad has many other features and options".

Personally negpadding is not needed once you have a few TiVo's.

One of my favourite features is the ability to vary the amount of endpadding by channel and time of day.

I have:

startpad 1.5
    endpad 5
    channel Ten-WA,Seven-WA,Nine-WA validity 19:00-22:00 endpad 18
    channel Ten-WA,Seven-WA,Nine-WA validity 22:00-06:00 endpad 20
    sugeq

Which gives 5 minutes endpadding to all shows, 18 minutes to shows on the commercial networks starting between 19:00 and 22:00, then 20 minutes to shows on the commercial networks starting between 22:00 and 06:00

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Endpad pattern matching for Program name

In the comments of the endpad.config file it says that a program name will be matched by the supplied pattern, and I can see caret and dollar sign used in the comments.

I'm assuming that the caret ^ and the dollar sign $ are characters that respectively match the empty string at the beginning and end of a line?

Does this imply that a regular expression can be used to match a program name, or are we limited to just those two metacharacters?

it uses a regular expression match, so .* matches anything, eg. {Later .* Holland} (the {} are needed if the string has spaces).

If you want an exact match on the whole programme name, you use {^Later with Jools Holland$}.

Hope that helps,

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

negpad definition

Quote Originally Posted by dyrplq View Post
    Good summary Pete. I would like to add that having just discovered Negpad, I think this is the most useful feature of Endpadplus (Negpad forces extra time to be added to the end of a scheduled recording even if another recording is due to start - I'd much rather see the ends of shows than the first few minutes of the beginnings).

Phil
    Im searching around (including the tivocommunity site, and #20 herein) for a definition of the detailed workings of negpad. It seems to be a regular discussion topic. But I still cant find the specific answer to my query :

I have program A 18:00-18:30 and program B 18:30-19:00 on different channels scheduled to record. But program always A runs late. And I dont care if I miss the start of program B, but would like to see what's left of it after A finishes.

I suspect the answer is negpad ?

But If I set up endpad to specifically negpad program A by 10 minutes, will this cause the recording of program B to be cancelled ? Or will program B simply be amended by endpad to start 10 minutes late ? (which would be rather clever and incredibly useful !)

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, Ive spent 45 minutes looking without a clear answer. Is there a write up anywhere of endpad including full syntax and in particular the meaning of negpad, forcepad and all such parameters ?

Many thanks for patience on what has to have been answered elsewhere surely !
    -----------------------------------
    Always learning yet never an expert.

Sony SVR2000 + Seagate 320Gb OzTivi 1.6.2

There is a readme.txt file in the endpad folder and gives a pretty good basic guide with examples.

In answer to your question adding negpad to program A will delay the start of program B. This is why negpad is used.

Peter.

Thanks Pete. Id found the read me, but it didnt tell me what you did ie endpad wont cancel the next prog. I get it now. Yes, that's pretty useful indeed

On a similar topic (and again Ive searched as best I know how), is there anywhere that will explain :

In the TivoWeb Folders screen, what do the entries in the MINS column mean ? For example

Program Episode Mins Date
    Our Animals Koalas 10+17(2) Thursday 18th September

I can guess its a 10 minute program. I might guess it has 17 minutes of endpad (except I thought Id only asked for 10 minutes). But Im struggling with the (2) ?

Or a user guide/writeup etc so I can answer my own questions !!!
    -----------------------------------
    Always learning yet never an expert.

Sony SVR2000 + Seagate 320Gb OzTivi 1.6.2

I don't ever use the folders modules, I don't really see the point using it for Series1 units. Now playing does me fine.

That said I think the + figure should be your startpad+endpad amount, don't know about the brackets though.

Try a search for folders.itcl on dealdatabase.com if your after more info on this module.

Peter