Thread: Tivo Freezes on Startup..

Unhappy Tivo Freezes on Startup..

Hey there all . You know it's so strange i was just thinking a few hours ago how wonderful it was that my tivo had not crashed in a whole year and I finally had a nice little library of movies etc built up that i would hate to lose. i shouldn't have even thought about it! I think I must have jinxed myself...

It was working fine earlier, and then i went to watch something and I saw it was starting up and I thought that was odd.. so I came back to it half an hour later and it was still on that the start up screen so i unplugged it. And basically now every time i try to boot it is just gets stuck permanently on the "Your Tivo is starting up screen". I cannot access it via telnet or anything of course.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows something that can be done before I go ahead and reformat the drive. i will be so sad to lose eveything yet again!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    And basically now every time i try to boot it is just gets stuck permanently on the "Your Tivo is starting up screen". I cannot access it via telnet or anything of course.
    This means it is not even accessing the hard disk. Ensure all plugs are seated OK including the hard disk power connector cable plugged into the power supply. If this fails to rectify the situation then you either have a dead hard disk or a problem with the image.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

OK, I shall open it up and check that but I suspect the drive is dead .

Thanks very much for your help .

Hello again. It was correct that my Tivo drive was dead. So now i have a different drive in there with a new install. It is working fine except for one thing that i cannot figure out how to fix. When I tried to log in to Tivowebplus the first time it asked for a username and password and I knew I had not set one. So i checked out the docs and saw how to add a user/pass to the tivoweb.cfg file. I have done that as instructed and rebooted several times but the user/pass combination I set in the config file does not work. I am not sure what to do. i don't really need password protection, but I'm ok with it being there if I can get it to work.

I also saw somewhere that could add the line "LAN_Auth = 0" so that it does not ask for it over the local lan but that did not make a difference.

Is there somethign I am missing? the last version i had was just the regular tivoweb so maybe there is something new I don't know about..

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

take a look at http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/ozt...er/030346.html
    Are you using DHCP? I think the problem occurs when TWP starts before the tivo has an IP address.
    see http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/ozt...er/030487.html

Thank you so much Matt. I was using DHCP but I've now switched to a static IP and i can acces it perfectly .

I would also like to say thank you to everyone at Oztivo for providing such a great free service to allow us to use these great devices in oz . I have had mine for about 18 months now and I could not live without it hehe.