Thread: Change RF output channel on Thompson

Question Change RF output channel on Thompson

I am setting up a Thompson Tivo, and due to disk space issues I can't use the NZ Thompson Image, so I'm on the OZTiVo 3.0 (1.6) software. After a bit of a fight with ukchan.o, and finding I have to re-run guided setup, then cold-boot to get everything working, I have FTA picture and sound and channels in the right spot!

I have one question though - how do I change the RF output channel? I think it is the cause of poor reception of Prime - ch60 in Wlg which I understand to be the default output channel... There seems to be no menu option to do so (I sort of thought there was...) and the palmod_config stuff is no use (as it's using ukchan) Are there any backdoors to the TiVo settings?

Make that two - Does "recorder and phone setup" always lead nowhere??

Thanks,
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by ajharvey View Post
    how do I change the RF output channel? I think it is the cause of poor reception of Prime - ch60 in Wlg which I understand to be the default output channel... There seems to be no menu option to do so (I sort of thought there was...) and the palmod_config stuff is no use (as it's using ukchan) Are there any backdoors to the TiVo settings?
    See this thread for some pointers (note ukchan2.5.5).

Does "recorder and phone setup" always lead nowhere??
    Yes when in normal mode, but works fine in maintenance mode. It's a side effect of running in PAL mode.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, but sadly the script in that post doesn't work for me. It seems that the parameter it tries to change in MFS - RFOutputChannel, under the setup directory does not exist, and when I check through the MFS browser in TWP it's definately not there. Is the output channel specified somewhere else in the US image? Or did the US model have no choice of channel for it's output?

If it has to wait til I get a hard disk big enough to run the Thompson Image I guess it's not the end of the world - at least I have proved that the TiVo actually works...

Or did the US model have no choice of channel for it's output?
    It does but it was never under software control. Instead it has a switch for varying between only two channels on the rear of the unit.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks for the advice, but sadly the script in that post doesn't work for me. It seems that the parameter it tries to change in MFS - RFOutputChannel, under the setup directory does not exist, and when I check through the MFS browser in TWP it's definately not there.
    It's not the same because that thread relates to ukchan 2.5.5 not 3.0

You might want to try contacting user 'Thomson' as he has a lot of experience in this area and may be able to make a ukchan30 for your area.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 14-02-2007 at 10:27 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I highly recommend you obtain a larger disk and test the NZ Uk image on it as it is fully setup for NZ emulator operation.

You need to add the RFOutputChannel settings to the MFS as they are not there by default. /Setup/RFOutputChannel is only populated in the MFS if the user makes a change from the default RF channel 60. You may also run into issues with the sound running the 3.0 image, as the carrier frequency for NZ PAL BG is set during bootup on our 2.5.5 image, I am not aware of this script working on the philips image.

There are various threads with getting ukchan.o 3.0 compatible, I'm not sure if it is 100%, sound issues as above.
    http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=886
    http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....ght=ukchan+3.0
    Last edited by jaidev; 14-02-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

I have no sound issues - I believe that the sound is setup by these lines in ukchan30.c
    Code:
    #ifdef NICAMSTEREOMODE

/* setup NZ (NICAM) ONLY sound - see page 22 of msp34x0g_4pd.pdf */
            iicw4(0x88, 0x10, 0x00200008); /* B/G NICAM Stereo (only) */
            /* not sure if you need to do this step as manual is a bit vague but we'
    ll leave it in the code as it may be useful */

#endif
    I definitely get clear sound, and can hear that it is in stereo.

This module does nothing to set up the output channel - though I could make it do so with a bit of investigation into iicset parameters I suppose. In 2.5.5 the mainline code would do the setup as it's designed to do so, and for real US models the code in palmod has this code. I'd try doing it from shell script but for come reason the iicset from the OzTiVo distribution just segfaults when I run it...

Of course I will get a bigger hard drive soon, and the magic of the Thomson image will make all my problems go away :-) But I have had fun learning all sorts of stuff about the TiVo that I never really thought I would need to know!