Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reimaged Tivo and cant get TivoWebPlus to run

Reimaged Tivo and cant get TivoWebPlus to run

Hi,

I imaged my backup/play Tivo (US Philips series 1 unit) with the latest NZ image recommended in the NZ image thread.

Went pretty smoothly, much easier than the one I originally installed so congrats to the developers.

The only wrinkle was that TivoWebPlus did not start up, I browsed to port 80 and nothing.

When I dug around and tried to see what was broken I had a look in the /hack/tivowebplus dir and saw the script which seems to launch the TWP server. If I start it with './tivowebplus start' it runs silently, but then './tivowebplus status' tells me there is no httpd running.

When I try to start the console (presumably that shows stuff that the TWP server is doing or am I wrong?) I get this error message:

[TiVo2 [p0] /hack/TivoWebPlus]# ./tivoweb console
    [TiVo2 [p0] /hack/TivoWebPlus]# TivoWebPlus - v1.2.3 (1.2.3 (oztivo-060804))
    The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This program is licensed under the GPL.
    See the 'docs/copyright' and 'docs/index.html' files
    for copyright and credit information.
    PoolSize=2916352
    Unable to get crypto chip's attention!
    while executing
    "exec crypto -gsn"
    ("uplevel" body line 6)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {

if { [info exists env(SerialNumber)] && [string trim $env(SerialNumber) "0"] !
    = "" && [string length $env(SerialNumber)] == 15 }..."
    (file "./httpd-tt.tcl" line 748)
    [TiVo2 [p1] ~]#
    [TiVo2 [p1] ~]#

I can start the old TW version OK by going into the tivoweb directory and running the similar launch script. Then I can browse to it OK.

Anyone got any ideas what is going wrong?

Is what I am trying to do legitimate? My guess is that script is normally launched on startup but as mine is somehow broken it fails and no TivoWebPlus.

Or should I just be happy with the old TivoWeb??

Hi

Did you happen to see this thread?
    http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1346
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Did you run the update_oztivo script after the install? This will bump the TWP version to a much more recent version.

Though the crypo error [in TWP] is a new one to me.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 08-02-2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: added [in TWP] to be clearer
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Though the crypto error is a new one to me.
    The Crypto chip is the Atmel branded chip between the IDE hard disk connector and the IR front panel connector. It's primary function is to store the TiVo ID address. I've seen this error message and it is because the chip is not talking to the processor and I'll bet that if Neil goes to his TiVo's information screen he don't see an ID number. This may also prevent connecting up to an emulator and getting valid guided setup and/or guide data too.

Usual cause of failure is someone being heavy handed around the nearby locking tab when untwisting and gouging out the PCB track in close proximity (see those two delicate tracks near the edge of the PCB near the locking tab? I've seen them broken more than once!) and/or knocking off a part in the local area when twisting. Of course it can also be component failure but never seen that yet. Always been "tinker" failure
    Last edited by Darren King; 08-02-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Darren King

Sorry, should have been more clear. I havn't seen the crypto error come up in TWP before.

I have seen crypto errors before, like in this thread, which turned out to be a faulty chip.

Strange the GS completed if it is a faulty chip.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    Usual cause of failure is someone being heavy handed around the nearby locking tab when untwisting and gouging out the PCB track in close proximity (see those two delicate tracks near the edge of the PCB near the locking tab? I've seen them broken more than once!) and/or knocking off a part in the local area when twisting. Of course it can also be component failure but never seen that yet. Always been "tinker" failure
    This Tivo was built up from a pile of spare parts so that's a real possibility.

I can confirm I got guide data OK, I saw a couple of threads on dealdatabase site referring to this error msg in the context of changing the Tivo's ID. They mention the 'crypto' command and in particular the 'crypto -gsn' which seems to read the Tivos ID.

[TiVo2 [p0] /hack/tivoweb-tcl]# crypto -gsn
    Unable to get crypto chip's attention!
    [TiVo2 [p0] /hack/tivoweb-tcl]#

That seems to be where the problem lies - where could I find more docs on what the crypto command is trying to do?

I will take out the motherboard and check it over carefully. The old tivoweb seems to work fine and otherwise working so its probably not too urgent I guess.

Darren, I was considering sending the motherboard to you at some point in the future for a PAL tuner upgrade, if this turns out to be a hardware fault is it something you could tackle for me at the same time? Do you have parts available for this type of fault?

Cheers,

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    I'll bet that if Neil goes to his TiVo's information screen he don't see an ID number.
    Well dammit you're right - my working Tivo shows me a 15 digit hex number in System Information beside Tivo Service Number but the backup on says its not available.

How do you know all this stuff...???

Cheers,

Neil.

Hi Neil

How do you know all this stuff...???

Truthfully? Experience. I've seen more TiVo motherboards than I care to count. There's still some faults I have not figured out yet but the majority I have.

And yes I have the parts to fix if required.
    Darren King

Quote Originally Posted by neilp View Post
    Well dammit you're right - my working Tivo shows me a 15 digit hex number in System Information beside Tivo Service Number but the backup on says its not available.
    Your lucky you are not using the OzTiVo emulator. We track slices by TiVo ID and without one you would not be getting any slices .

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Your lucky you are not using the OzTiVo emulator. We track slices by TiVo ID and without one you would not be getting any slices .

Peter.
    Well there's a question for the NZ emulator guys - why DOES my second tivo get guide data then if effectively it doesnt have a Tivo ID??? Does the NZ emulator care about the Tivo ID (this Tivo uses production emulator on port 8000 I think - a vanilla install from the latest NZTivo image)

Here's a couple of pix of the appropriate corner of the board - looks of the photo of the underside like there may be a crack right in the corner, but it has more of a feel of cleaned-up solder flux and lacquer. No obvious track damage that I can spot.

Starting to feel like if I can get guide data in NZ OK, the only thing I am missing is TivoWebPlus so probably not worth fixing...

Neil.
    Attached Images Attached Images