Thread: TiVo won't complete GS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey guys i need help, i'm on the Gold Coast, and I have imaged my tivo Philips series, and added a STATIC IP address of : 10.0.1.202 during initial setup. Plugged it all in and ran setup and in the FIRST SETUP CALL it says " connecting.. failed.. service unavailable.

I tried pinging the ip address i set on the TIVO no good, tried to telnet it no good. I even got my Macbook pro connected directly to the tivo and done the same things as above and no go.

SOMEBODY HELP ! :-(

Wilson
    Last edited by macguy; 01-02-2007 at 08:19 PM.

I've moved your post to a new thread, as it had no relation to the existing thread you posted in.

When you imaged the drive did you select the 'update installer' option before imaging the drive ?

Apart from the macbook pro do you have a regular PC ?

Using a serial null modem cable with a regular PC or a USB-serial adaptor with your Mac you can access a bash prompt and run nic_config_tivo to check and correct your settings.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi there, yes I believe I did choose update installer, otherwise, i wouldn't of been able to connect it to my tv and go thru the initial setup, right????

I can get access to a PC and have thought maybe I should re-image the drive again, BUT use DHCP instead of static IP address..

Will this help??????

Furthermore, I have turned off all firewalls on my modem, and when connected, I can see my TURBONET card turned on ( green light) so its there, and is getting power.

Much appreciated.

wilson

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    I've moved your post to a new thread, as it had no relation to the existing thread you posted in.

When you imaged the drive did you select the 'update installer' option before imaging the drive ?

Apart from the macbook pro do you have a regular PC ?

Using a serial null modem cable with a regular PC or a USB-serial adaptor with your Mac you can access a bash prompt and run nic_config_tivo to check and correct your settings.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by macguy View Post
    Hi there, yes I believe I did choose update installer, otherwise, i wouldn't of been able to connect it to my tv and go thru the initial setup, right????
    It does not matter if you choose "update installer" or not. I normally don't and then do the subsequent update later on when the TiVo is set up. Either way don't matter (unless Peter knows a reason why) but it won't stop you getting a successful connection if you don't.

Also I'm confused here, as you say in the original post you got a failed connection on the first attempt: "Plugged it all in and ran setup and in the FIRST SETUP CALL it says " connecting.. failed.. service unavailable." which means you have not had ANY successful connections in Guided Setup.

I can get access to a PC and have thought maybe I should re-image the drive again, BUT use DHCP instead of static IP address.. Will this help??????
    Generally it is advised that if you are connecting to a modem/router directly and if it has a DHCP server in it then yes DHCP is the recommended way to go about it. Most modems do have DHCP support these days so if you are unsure just try DHCP settings on the TiVo anyway. I get the feeling yours does by your next comment about being able to turn off firewalls in the modem.

Furthermore, I have turned off all firewalls on my modem, and when connected, I can see my TURBONET card turned on ( green light) so its there, and is getting power.
    This is a good start.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    It does not matter if you choose "update installer" or not. I normally don't and then do the subsequent update later on when the TiVo is set up. Either way don't matter (unless Peter knows a reason why) but it won't stop you getting a successful connection if you don't.
    Warren and I have made a lot of changes to the installer program since the ISO file was released. Among the changes was how networking settings are written to the disk before unmounting. This fixed a lot of people problems with networking not working because of PC compatabiliity issues. This obviously doesn't effect you as the PC you use writes the files correctly.

There are other changes within the installer, and also bugfixes for emuproxyZA, update_oztivo and nic_config_oztivo among some of the others. These would normally be picked up by update_oztivo (execept update_oztivo) when run later, but if you need them before you will have old versions.

So basically everyone should always use the update installer option before restoring the image.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hey guys i need help, i'm on the Gold Coast,
    I will be back from Perth next Thursday if you are still struggling, I am on the Gold Coast and could possibly give you a hand.

I tried pinging the ip address i set on the TIVO no good, tried to telnet it no good. I even got my Macbook pro connected directly to the tivo and done the same things as above and no go.
    Are you using a Motorola SBG900 on Telstra Cable at all ? I suddenly had all sorts of problems with this particular model allowing traffic out. A complete reset was needed. As for the static IP, It would be much better if you went with DHCP as this will add the required gateways, DNS servers, etc etc that your TiVo needs.

If you are using a netgear they normally use 10.0.0.138 as the default, so your 10.0.1.202 may not be quite right. Can you double check your settings for your router?
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB