Thread: Add 2nd source on same input

Add 2nd source on same input

Let me first say that I am in the USA and I don't have any OzTiVo hacks installed but after reading the forums and the twiki for a while, you guys are very knowledgable and willing to help without an elitist attitude (unlike another tivocommunity ). Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Pansat 3500 FTA receiver that is programmed for both DishNet and BellExpress (Canada). The FTA channel lineup is setup the same as the DN lineup so the Tivo can change the channels properly. The BE channels are just clumped together after the DN channels, which I manually change.

So my questions are

1. Any idea if TiVo even supplies the guide data for Bell Express? It is listed in the Satellite Box list when setting up the IR controller so I'm assuming it is a supported box.

2. If so, can I somehow add BE as a second SAT source in the Tivo but tell it to record from the same input port (svideo)?

Obviously the channel numbers for BE would conflict with DN so I will have to use dbset to remap the channels but that isn't hard, just time consuming. It would be worth it though to get BE guide data and control thru the TiVo.

Thanks in advance

Contact TiVo. They will happily make a new headend for your particular situtation. They are really flexible with these sorts of things.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Seriously? I wouldn't think they would help with something like this.

Will they send it to my tivo in an update or is this something I would have to install myself? I have no idea what a headend is or what to do with it.

So do I just fill out the "contact support" form on their site or is there a better way to get a hold of a tech? i've submitted a few support requests over the years and have never even had a response let alone resolve the problem.
    Last edited by smudge; 02-02-2007 at 10:07 PM.

I would call them using the phone.

They commonly make hybrid headends for people in your situation. Very common with college dorm rooms where multiple suppliers are sent via the same cable.

A headend is basically just the channel list available to you. In your case you need dishnet and bellexpress to be joined into one headend for you. Once TiVo have done this they will usually send you an on-screen message to re-do GS and select the new headend.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I don't think you should have difficulties with TiVo and having them setup a new headend. This would also be the easiest for you.

But answering your original question, in case you have difficulties:

1. TiVo should have BE data
    2. You can redo GS and select the same STB, input source, and IR for both sources. And you can manually change the channels using dbset to match what you have on your STB. Though this would be extremely time consuming, and if DN's or BE's lineup changed you may loose some of your manual changes.

Peter.

Unfortunately I didn't find their number til after support was closed. I'll try again on Monday.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Philips SA1 3.0, 2x300G, CacheCard, TivoWebPlus, Pansat 3500 FTA