Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie first try – success!

Newbie first try – success!

Hello fellow TiVo travelers,

Decided I couldn’t stand anymore 2 minute long FTA commercials and investigated several options. While researching Freevo, SageTV, BeyondTV, and various hardware PVRs (Topfield, Strong – DTVforum) I stumbled across the ozTiVo TWiki site. Having relatives still living in the old country figured I’d hunt up a Series 1 and decided to give TiVo a go.

First I need to thank all of the contributors to the ozTiVo TWiki, those responsible for doing the hacks, integrating software and building the ISO images. Great job! Also thanks to all those working had behind the scenes keeping the guide data updated, it is very much appreciated. A special thanks to Darren for taking his time to answer a hundred stupid questions during a long phone call and for answering his e-mail.

So I got a, actually two, “Renewed” Philips HDR31299 Series 1 TiVo’s. “Renewed in USA to original, Product warranty quality assured, To customer specifications” – looks like that means – new manuals, includes a product warranty card (..), new remote with batteries, new cables (looks like a full set), the top/cover is either new or re-sprayed (not a scratch), inside is clean and void of any dust, power supply looks to be new and the disk is a single 30Gb (the original machine appears to have been a HDR312 that had two 15Gb drives) with a sticker on it that says “Philips Reprogramed, Quad Test ok, Programming ok, on 04/04/02. Here are some photos:

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c37/maashbolt/TiVo/

This being a proof-of-concept machine I wanted to keep costs down. If it was possible I didn’t want to buy a Turbonet card or install a PAL/Australian tuner until the “supreme allied commander of the southern hemisphere” (aka she who must be obeyed) saw, was pleased and gave TiVo the Good Housekeeping seal of approval. I have a VCR that I’m using as TV source and I had a spare, new, 80Gb Hitachi Deskstar floating around so used it for now.

I’m happy to say, even me a LinNix illiterate, has the OzTiVo working like a charm!

First experience (experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want..), I couldn’t get dial-up through my ISP to work. I know I was warned, but thought I’d mention it. I ended up using a serial PPP connection through XP.

Second experience, got the hardware firewall sorted, but for some yet to be determined reason couldn’t get Sygate (software firewall) to play. So ATM for each program call I disable Sygate. I'll post when I figure it out. In addition now that an XP machine has a directly connected machine (the TiVo), I'm now seeing multicast IP packets from at first explorer.exe and now other applications.

Third experience, after the second guided setup call, after waiting the 4 hours and for System Information to indicate all had finished, and after re-boot into normal mode (made sure I wasn’t in maintenance mode) – date and time was incorrect. I remember the date was one day behind and that the time wasn’t a full 24 hours out, but don’t know the exact delta time difference. I telneted to the TiVo and set the date and time.

Fourth experience, couldn’t get the Tivoweb on the ISO image to work. Tried the echo trick, looked around, ps ax didn’t list it and given my limited linux knowledge I just gave up.. Downloaded TivowebPlus, installed it, started it and that works just fine. Given my VI/Joe knowledge is zero haven’t tried to edit the .author config file so after I re-boot I have to telnet and restart Tivowebplus.

That’s it! Pretty darn good IMHO!

Thanks again for all the excellent work by all involved in the ozTiVo project.

Cheers,
    Phred
    Last edited by Phred; 22-01-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phred View Post
    Hello fellow TiVo travelers,
    And hello and welcome to you too

First I need to thank all of the contributors to the ozTiVo TWiki, those responsible for doing the hacks, integrating software and building the ISO images. Great job! Also thanks to all those working had behind the scenes keeping the guide data updated, it is very much appreciated. A special thanks to Darren for taking his time to answer a hundred stupid questions during a long phone call and for answering his e-mail.
    On behalf of everyone else I'll say "you're welcome". On a personal note, I'm glad that you found my help informative. I'm always happy to help, or at least point in the right direction if I don't fully know (and I don't know everything!).

I didn’t want to buy a Turbonet card or install a PAL/Australian tuner until the “supreme allied commander of the southern hemisphere” (aka she who must be obeyed) saw, was pleased and gave TiVo the Good Housekeeping seal of approval. I have a VCR that I’m using as TV source and I had a spare, new, 80Gb Hitachi Deskstar floating around so used it for now.
    A wise choice to get the "stamp of approval". Now that she likes it you will need both of those TiVo's because you will end up losing out every time in the fight on who watches what

(experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want..)
    And that is good advice for others. I'm pleased you had a go, stuck it out and won in the end. Some just give it the "it's too hard" treatment and give up, which is not how TiVo outside the USA works. It works by experimenting and learning. Top marks to you

I'll make a couple of comments to be of benefit:

Third experience, after the second guided setup call, after waiting the 4 hours and for System Information to indicate all had finished, and after re-boot into normal mode (made sure I wasn’t in maintenance mode) – date and time was incorrect.
    This is actually normal. If you had rebooted again the time would come up correct. It takes the second time you boot with the "Starting up..." screen for the time to be correct. Another way to set time if it is not right is to force another daily call through the TiVoWEB (and TiVoWEB+) "phone" tab. If you find that you still do not have the right time then you may need to check that a firewall is allowing port 37 to get through too.

Fourth experience, couldn’t get the Tivoweb on the ISO image to work. Tried the echo trick, looked around, ps ax didn’t list it and given my limited linux knowledge I just gave up.. Downloaded TivowebPlus, installed it, started it and that works just fine. Given my VI/Joe knowledge is zero haven’t tried to edit the .author config file so after I re-boot I have to telnet and restart Tivowebplus.
    On the latest images (R1.6.2) TiVoWEB+ is actually the standard, and is configured to start on bootup. Did you download the install ISO R1.6.2? (tip: what version number in the starting up splashscreen do you see?)
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    On the latest images (R1.6.2) TiVoWEB+ is actually the standard, and is configured to start on bootup. Did you download the install ISO R1.6.2? (tip: what version number in the starting up splashscreen do you see?)
    Hi Darren,

Yes, it's 1.6.2. On the splashscreen 3.0 1.6.2 and the image I downloaded was

ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20061106.iso

So I don't know what was wrong. Couldn't http to the TiVo, ps ax didn't list the task running and, as far as I can remember, there wasn't a TivoWebPlus directory (could be wrong). and of course now I've followed the Webplus install directions, except for editing .author, so have probably made it difficult to know/find out what the original problem was.

Cheers,
    Phred

Ah, I know the answer. There is a bug in the install CD that sometimes (not always as I have tried) which causes TW+ not to start and it is the CrashCount not being zero. Just for reference there are two ways to fix it:

1. Reset the crashcount file by the following via telnet:

echo 0 > /hack/TivoWebPlus/.dist/CrashCount

Then issue a reboot command to restart the TiVo.

2. Run the update script which will contact Minnie and see if there are any updates to the install CD (which there are, one of them to fix TW+) and the TiVo will download and install the updates:

update_oztivo -y

More info on the update command here:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...adeOzTiVoImage

Regarding editing your config file, try using nano which is on the TiVo and real easy to use:

nano <filename to edit>

Remember you have to put the TiVo into read write mode beforehand (command RW) and back into read only mode afterwards (command RO).

Hope that helps.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    it is the CrashCount not being zero. Just for reference there are two ways to fix it:
    []
    echo 0 > /hack/TivoWebPlus/.dist/CrashCount
    I'm pretty sure I tried the echo thing, as I sort of said in my original post, but not 100% sure of the exact command I tried. Anyway, just tried the echo 0 command above, reboot and tivoweb didn't start. Still haven't edited .auth (:-)) so I start web+ by telnet and cd /var/hack/TivoWebPlus and entering ./tivoweb.

I'll try your second option, the update, probably this weekend.

Another question,, has anyone looked at making the 30 skip an option (select-play-select-30-select) a permanent hack (and adding it to the Installer as an option)? Or maybe I’m just re-booting more than normal, forgetting to reenter the remote commands, and being annoyed..

Cheers,
    Phred

rc.sysinit.author expects TWP to be in '/hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb' so that appears correct.

Also note in general we do not make modifications to rc.sysinit.author any more, as this stuffs up the upgrade feature.

Start ups are now controlled as default by dflt_sysinit.conf or if you wanted to make changes, by a new file called sysinit.conf.

It might be helpful for you to post the kernel and tivoweb logs so we can see why it is failing on boot.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    It might be helpful for you to post the kernel and tivoweb logs so we can see why it is failing on boot.
    Peter.
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. Here's the web logs. I first used Web+ to clear the logs, then telnet to reboot.

After reboot I telneted and manually started Web+. So the failing web.log would be Otivoweb.log? Otivoweb.log is

TivoWebPlus - v1.3.1 (1.3.1 (oztivo-070111))
    The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This program is licensed under the GPL.
    See the 'docs/copyright' and 'docs/index.html' files
    for copyright and credit information.
    PoolSize=2916352
    retrying after errTmActiveLockConflict ...
    child process exited abnormally
    while executing
    "exec ifconfig | grep "inet addr" | grep -v "127.0.0.1""
    (file "/hack/TivoWebPlus/httpd-tt.tcl" line 997)

This is what's in tivoweb.log and it looks like the one I manually started.

TivoWebPlus - v1.3.1 (1.3.1 (oztivo-070111))
    The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This program is licensed under the GPL.
    See the 'docs/copyright' and 'docs/index.html' files
    for copyright and credit information.
    PoolSize=2916352
    Loading modules...
    ChannelMap
    backup
    channelgrid
    channelprefs
    confresManual
    debug
    displaytext
    extract
    favicon
    folders
    gallery
    gdchecker
    higuide
    index
    -initializing logo index
    -initializing channel table
    --caching 9 channels for source of type=5 (CableBox)
    --fully processed 9 of 9 channels for source of type=5 (CableBox)
    -initializing genre table
    -initializing now showing cache
    -initializing season pass cache
    info
    lj_utils
    logos
    logs
    mail
    manrec
    merge
    mfsbrowser
    mrv
    netconfig
    phone
    reorder
    resources
    Loaded 89 resource definitions
    rss
    sched
    screen
    script
    search
    sysadmin
    theme
    ui
    update
    webremote
    whatson
    wishlists
    xlist
    {more}
    Accepting Connections
    192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:17:35] "/"
    192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:17:39] "/logs/"
    192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:17:44] "/logs/kernel/"
    192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:18:26] "/logs/tivoweb.log/"

The kernel.log is too big to post so if you need that I'll send it to you.

Cheers,
    Phred

It looks like TWP startup is conflicting with something else on boot. And works fine once the TiVo is settled.

I suggest you make a /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local file with the following 2 lines.

#start TWP
    /hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb &

This will try starting TWP at the end of the boot. It's a bit of a fumble and doesn't answer why this is only happening to you and not the 1000's of others running the same version.

Peter.

Edited: corrected typo in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local
    Last edited by petestrash; 26-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I suggest you make a /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit.local file with the following 2 lines.

#start TWP
    /hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb &
    Thanks Peter. So, I created (didn't exist) the directory rd.d in /etc and made the file as above. Same problem. I then thought maybe I should try /var/hack/TWP/..&. Still didn't work. _Otivoweb.log_ is exactly as above and _tiovoweb.log_ (I presume from the rd.d sysinit.local fudge, is the same but without the line "retrying after errTmActiveLockConflict ..."

doesn't answer why this is only happening to you and not the 1000's of others running the same version.
    Peter.
    I guess I'm just special.. lol..

Phred

You are very special.

Something is very wrong, the directory /etc/rc.d has to exist. this is where amongst many others rc.sysinit and rc.sysinit.author reside. Without these files the TiVo will not boot.

There should not have been any need to create this directory.

Peter.

PS for your info /var/hack is a rw symlink to /hack.