Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCE: OzTiVo startup animation fixed.

ANNOUNCE: OzTiVo startup animation fixed.

ANNOUNCE: OzTiVo startup animation fixed.

Hi,

After years of being frustrated with the opening video on our TiVo's, I have finally been able to come up with a fix that results in a perfect opening sequence.

These instructions are for use only on Philips based OzTiVo images.

This is not for use on UK Thomson based OzTiVo image's as they are not affected by the broken start-up video problem (as far as I'm aware). But can be run on UK Thomson TiVo's using the OzTiVo Philips image.

For Sony based OzTiVo images see the note at the end of these instructions.

1. Enter the following address into a browser, where the x's are your TiVo's IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/mfs/Resource/VideoClip

2. Click on the line that starts with 'LongOpen.mpv'

3. Take a note of the Number next to 'File', I think in most cases this will be 1507 (If it's not please email me with the number you see and the revision of OzTiVo software you are running DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER).

4. You can now close your browser and open a Telnet session.

5. Enter the following commands into Telnet. It's safe to cut and paste the commands if you like. (If you had a different number to 1507 in step 5 (And I said it was ok to use, replace 1507 with your number in the following).

NOTE: The download will take a while as the new file is 18Mb, also The inflating step will take a minute or so and the display won't change (it hasn't frozen).

Code:
    [TiVo [p0] /]# cd /var/hack
    [TiVo [p0] /var/hack]# wget http://www.oztivo.net/oztivofiles/images/PetesTrash.zip
    --17:56:59--  http://www.oztivo.net/oztivofiles/images/PetesTrash.zip
               => `PetesTrash.zip'
    Resolving www.oztivo.net... done.
    Connecting to www.oztivo.net[65.49.60.197]:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 18,692,745 [application/zip]

0% [                                                         ] 18,692,745     0.00G/s    ETA 00:00

Last-modified header invalid -- time-stamp ignored.
    18:09:29 (0.00 GB/s) - `PetesTrash.zip' saved [18692745/18692745]

[TiVo [p1] /var/hack]# unzip PetesTrash.zip
    Archive:  PetesTrash.zip
      inflating: LongOpen.mpv
      inflating: mfs_import
      inflating: mfs_uberexport
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p0] /var/hack]# chmod +x mfs*
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]# ./mfs_uberexport 1507 > LongOpen.mpv.orig
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]# ./mfs_import 1507 < LongOpen.mpv
    starting mfs_import with args:
    /mfs_import 1507
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p0] /var/hack]# reboot
    The mfs_uberexport command backs up the current movie, and the mfs_import command installs the new one.

After your happy with the new movie, Telnet back into your TiVo and delete some of the files as they are quite large and if /var ever becomes full up it may cause issues with your TiVo.

Code:
    [TiVo [p1] ~]# cd /var/hack
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p0] /var/hack]# rm PetesTrash.zip
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]# rm LongOpen*
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]#
    [TiVo [p1] /var/hack]# exit
    This deletes the downloaded zip and both the new and backup movie files.

NOTE: For Sony Based OzTiVo images:
    These instructions would also probably work on Sony based OzTiVo images, but I have not tested it. One known side effect is the end of the opening video finishes with the Philips background, not the Sony one. This is not a problem for the TiVo and as soon as the menu comes up, the correct Sony background would be shown. Some people may not like the visual jump from one background to another.

Hope you enjoy the fixed animation.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 20-07-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: removed the need to use FTP
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Way too cool, thanks heaps.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

Brilliant!

Works like a charm Peter. Thank you!

P.S For Mac users using Safari, don't worry about the unzip step as Safari will have automatically unzipped this file for you and you will have copied over a FOLDER called PetesTrash to /var/hack. Simply go cd /var/hack/PetesTrash and carry on from the chmod line.

Now if only I could find a script that would automatically set the "Now Playing" scrren to alphabetical...... :-)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dyrplq View Post
    Now if only I could find a script that would automatically set the "Now Playing" scrren to alphabetical...... :-)

I should point out that you don't really need a script. Off the other websites such as the Cnet ones:
    Now, to enable sorting, enter the following remote control sequence at the Now Playing screen:

Slow-Motion > 0 > Record > Thumbs Up

After the three thumbs-up rings, a menu bar at the bottom of the Now Playing list will appear, stating "Press Enter for sort options." When you press Enter (the small Enter/Last button at the very bottom of your remote), your TiVo will zoom to a Now Playing Options screen. From here, you can sort by Newest (by record date), Expiration (by expiration date), or Alphabetical (by program name). You can also simply hit 1, 2, or 3 at the Now Playing screen as a shortcut to sort by those same options.
    Cheers
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

Yeh

Thanks Tenty, thats what I do. I just get sick of having to do it every time I reboot Tivo.

Doesn't the NZ 1.5 image have it on by default? I have the option enabled without the code, but you still need to press enter to change to alphabetical.

Oh and thanks Petestrash for the video fix works great. Man it sounds weird without the stuttering etc...

Thanks Peter. As a newbie I am constantly rebooting at the moment and was getting a little disappointed at the "break" in audio in the startup movie.

I hope all fixes are going to be this easy ;-)
    Kind regards

techscholar

This is probably a stupid question: I don't have a network card and therefore I cannot enter xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/mfs/Resource/VideoClip is there any other way to find out the number next to file?

You could probably do it with dumpobj, but realistically if you are running an NZTiVo or ZATiVo or OzTivo image the number will be 1507 based on the hundreds that have already installed it.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi Pete

Updated tonight all looks great. Thanks very much

Michael