Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: 80Gb TiVo w/ palmod & cachecard.

Tivos from poweron

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoo
    Is that confirmed?

A couple of days after mine was delivered, a mate said poweron told him they didn't sell Tivos outside the US anymore?
    Yup, I emailed them a few times and they have been really helpfull, yes they still ship to New Zealand, it costs $90US though, I asked them if they would ship more than one unit to save on shipping, but they said the unit are PRE BOXED from Philips and it costs more to send two units :-(

Also I found out that they accept money orders as well as bidpay, which may help some people who dont have a credit card.

I will update this thread when I get mine.

Also, in regards to the post from someone else about the high cost (of a TIVO plus cachecard plus shipping plus PAL mod plus HD), if you just get a TIVO plus smallish (80GB) hard drive and use a VCR or sky for the tuning it will drive the costs right down, to under $400. Just my 2c worth.

I got mine from Poweron - really impressed, received the Tivo by Friday, when I had ordered it on the Tuesday.

Howdy T. thanks for the info & files.

Is your palmod_config file a replacement for palmod.conf? ( note the slight name differences)

or a new additional file?

I assumed it was a replacement, so renamed the exisiting palmod.conf file and replaced it with the new file.... but...it all came to a scretching halt when rebooting... no telnet etc so it looks like I'm up for a reimage... I assume that its just a sequence or finger trouble!

as for 80pin chip replacements - I've done it before - if we can get the code working then I'm pretty sure I could handle the rework, I hate to think what the new chip is worth tho..but definitely not for the faint hearted - a possible avalanche of trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Is your palmod_config file a replacement for palmod.conf? ( note the slight name differences) or a new additional file?

I assumed it was a replacement, so renamed the exisiting palmod.conf file and replaced it with the new file.... but...it all came to a scretching halt when rebooting... no telnet etc so it looks like I'm up for a reimage... I assume that its just a sequence or finger trouble!
    Sorry about the confusion... the palmod_config file is not a replacement for palmod.conf - it is actually a binary file that you run which prompts you for configuration choices. It then writes out a palmod.conf file and handles all the ro/rw stuff for you. It was created by the oztivo guys to make things easier to configure. There should have already been a palmod_config binary on your system under /sbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    as for 80pin chip replacements - I've done it before - if we can get the code working then I'm pretty sure I could handle the rework, I hate to think what the new chip is worth tho..but definitely not for the faint hearted - a possible avalanche of trouble!
    The problem is not the soldering... it is getting hold of the chip... unless you are willing to purchase thousands of them then they pratically impossible to purchase. I have tried a few sources, but nobody has even come close.

roger roger got the vector victor. will reimage and start again. thanks for the the help.

UK Tivo with 100MB for sale

Owner going overseas so have to dispose of this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=14087888

Also have a combo cachecard / turbonet from 9th Tee available

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=14088085

Interesting stuff. Sounds like FTA is now possible, albeit without stereo sound. I did have a detailed list of my expenses in putting that tivo together, but it has since been deleted. The total was around NZ$1050 IIRC.

Personally, I'm taking a different route to PVR nirvana. Bought a PVR-250 card and a low end Shuttle PC to wrap around it. Will run some scripts to record what I want and writing a simple GUI for playback and control. No pause-live-tv, no on screen schedules, no season-passes. No stress =)

Good luck with your auction, rp1790. I never thought I'd see a UK Tivo on Trademe - someone will be very happy.

BTW: Anyone see the TiVo writeup in the latest FFWD mag? The author (who probably lurks around these parts ) went over the process of importing a TiVo, upgrading the hard drive and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yem
    BTW: Anyone see the TiVo writeup in the latest FFWD mag? The author (who probably lurks around these parts ) went over the process of importing a TiVo, upgrading the hard drive and so on.
    It seems that a number of people have seen the >>FFWD article... the following is a quote from one of the more popular TiVo resellers in the US:

"Yes they're still the same price and I only have one left until the next shipment. I had a huge rush on TiVos this weekend; something about an article in a New Zealand tech magazine."

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    It seems that a number of people have seen the >>FFWD article... the following is a quote from one of the more popular TiVo resellers in the US:

"Yes they're still the same price and I only have one left until the next shipment. I had a huge rush on TiVos this weekend; something about an article in a New Zealand tech magazine."
    Ahem Thomson, that's my quote you are using there. And yes that last TiVo did have my name on it and was despatched yesterday. It's about time I had my own TiVo (instead of using one of yours - oops did I say too much?) and joined this forum... so here I am.

With turboNet card included with the TiVo the charge on my Visa is NZ$387.
    I would recommend George at www.eksys.com.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?