Thread: OzTiVo Reboot Loop Problem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OzTiVo Reboot Loop Problem

G'day all, my TiVo seems to have another issue, basically:

- one day, around ten days ago (I've been away, otherwise the loss of TiVo would have had me posting sooner!), the TiVo was fine (sound issue even sorted out, as detailed here) - however, the next morning I noticed that the TiVo wasn't recording Rage as it usually is on a Saturday, and that there were about forty new messages (!) noting the IP address. As the only time my TiVo shows this message is when I've reset it, it looked like the box had reset itself about forty times overnight. Needless to say, there were bits and pieces of recordings during that time, but nothing longer than about 10 or 20 minutes. Then, as I was pondering this phenomenon, the TiVo reset itself.
    - the reset went as usual, I surfed channels a bit to see if I could (yep) and then went into the menu system to see if I could manipulate them (yep, all good), and then after about ten minutes(ish), the box reset itself.
    - I persisted for another couple of resets, then pulled the plug from the wall and packed my bag and went away. Back now, and have not plugged the TiVo in yet, because of the research I did over the past week, as follows.

I have searched OzTivo web & Mailing List and also searched here in the forums. I've Googled quite a bit too, and taken a look at a few of the other TiVo sites listed in various places here.

What I have found is a bit inconclusive, but it suggests that perhaps my TiVo's power supply might be on the way out. Does that sound right?
    I understand that my TiVo diagnostics are probably crap compared to the combined might of OzTiVo!

Any help would be appreciated - watching live TV with no pause or rewind function is making the wife & I rather twitchy! What the devil did we do before we had one?

Cheers, and thanks for your time.
    Cods

References:
    - Yes, I checked the twiki, and have mostly followed the guide here http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...roubleshooting. Well, except for the bits about pulling the HDD and doing a surface scan / re-imaging / setting up a new disk / etc. Why haven't I done those? Well, from the rest of the research below it suggests a power supply problem. I may be wrong, if so, no worries, I shall hang my head in shame, and complete the steps in that thread verbatim.

- the reboot loop I refer to is NOT (well, it seems different to me, anyway) the type where the TiVo only gets to the startup screen and then resets (as described here and here. My TiVo works absolutely normally for a short time, then resets.

- I hadn't noticed any brownouts or blackouts, and there were no other signs (clocks flashing, microwave time not set etc) to suggest that these had occurred (as per this post on the mailing list.

- The twiki http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...StopRebootLoop specifically states (bolding is my own emphasis):
    Update: First of all.. this howto is for a reboot loop, which occurs during your tivo booting, everytime you boot, before completing booting. ie, before you see "tivo central" your tivo reboots.

This does not apply to rebooting which occurs at random times, ie your tivo boots up fine, runs for 10/15 minutes, and then reboots. If your tivo has this behaviour, it is probably a hardware fault, and most likely caused by the powersupply failing.

This also does not apply to GSODs that do not complete. This is probably caused by one of two things, your disk is seriously damaged/dying, or you do not have sufficient swap space for the GSOD to complete. Fixing the problem of none, or not enough swap is described in FixSwapIssues.
    Last edited by Cods; 21-10-2006 at 05:26 PM.
    Cods.