Thread: tjv.info domain down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

tjv.info domain down

ok well i'm an idiot.

My (original) hosting company set up my domain name under their own name (which is considered a bad practice generally) and now they have gone under and I no longer have my domain name pointing to my site anymore. Visit my site and u get some stupid godaddy page. I have tried contacting this dude (Calan from calanhosting) to get my domain back but not sure at this stage.

anyway u can read about it here:
    http://www.internet-marketing-resear...3-0-asc-0.html

The good news is the site is still accessible: http://216.58.174.222/tjvinfo/

rant...

hmm, its annoying because when i setup my site about 14 months ago i did what i thought was sufficient research. I was mostly interested in getting both ASP.NET and JSP support (that i could afford) because those were two webserver languages i was most interested in. Maybe if i'd done some more research I would have found out that said company was merely reselling hosting on. Also if I actually knew anything about domain names I would have realised I should have got it in my own name, big mistake...

anyway, **** happens. learnt my lesson, yada yada

Ouch, that sucks. If he decides to be a dick you're gonna have a real hard time getting it back. They really should have registered you as the administrative contact and themselves as the tech, doing it this way essentially leaves you wide open to having your domain held hostage. If the guy wants to be a dick you may be better off just getting a different domain. I note that tjv.{org,net,co,geek}.nz are available, maybe that's an option. I think nz reg is more expensive though.

OK my site is back up now tjv.info
    we should start thinking about an actual nz tivo site. any thoughts...

Hi Tim

I think a NZ site is a great idea. I am a newbie here (still setting up a Tivo) but have access to web-developers and hosting resources. I would be happy to help out.

David

i think a wiki style website would be cool. if anyone has any experience with that by all means share ur knowledge..

other ideas?

Tim, prv msg me if you want me to link NZ.oztivo.net subdomain to you (or an alternative)? I should be able to setup an A record and an MX if you think you can handle your own subdomain
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA