Thread: recording...

recording...

Couple of quick questions :

1. just wondering if u can use the tivo to watch tv and then when u want to record something u just click record !! a bit like using your vcr ? Also do they have a RCA input, so u can record off DVD's or video cameras for example

2. what is the quality of recording like, is it VHS, VCD or DVD quality ?

3. if i can do option one, when i'm in the USA next week (picking up my unit from there) where can i download the image file for the USA ? as the unit I'm buying is a unit that doesn't have the HDD, so i was going to load the image file onto the HDD here before i leave, so i can just plug it in when i get there and have a play in the hotel room, also record some shows that we don't get here !! any thoughts on this, is it possible ?

4. does anyone know where i can pick a cheap ethernet card for my tivo over the internet (besides ebay), have tried the 9thtee one.. any others ?

5. when i get the unit back home, i can hook it up to my old analog foxtel box can't I ? how does it record programs off this ? does it control it via infared ? and record it though the rca input ?

thanks guys...

1. Yes and Yes. Though with DVDs you may have trouble with 'Macrovision'. This is anti-piracy software built into your dvd player.

2. Better than VHS. In fact I would say closer to DVD quality.

3. Not sure if you can get a USA image. Why not be patient and wait 'till you get back to Australia/NZ

4. Try asking on the mailing list, someone might have one lying around.
    Try Ekletic Systems and speak to George and check out all the usual auction websites.

5. Should work fine. Some aussies can clarify this. Will record via the A/V jacks on back, or, if you do the tuner mod (as the tuner is NTSC) and change it to a pal tuner, you'll be able to also record via the built in tuner. TiVo controls the set top box via an ir blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by discosrule
    Couple of quick questions :

1. just wondering if u can use the tivo to watch tv and then when u want to record something u just click record !! a bit like using your vcr ? Also do they have a RCA input, so u can record off DVD's or video cameras for example

2. what is the quality of recording like, is it VHS, VCD or DVD quality ?

3. if i can do option one, when i'm in the USA next week (picking up my unit from there) where can i download the image file for the USA ? as the unit I'm buying is a unit that doesn't have the HDD, so i was going to load the image file onto the HDD here before i leave, so i can just plug it in when i get there and have a play in the hotel room, also record some shows that we don't get here !! any thoughts on this, is it possible ?

4. does anyone know where i can pick a cheap ethernet card for my tivo over the internet (besides ebay), have tried the 9thtee one.. any others ?

5. when i get the unit back home, i can hook it up to my old analog foxtel box can't I ? how does it record programs off this ? does it control it via infared ? and record it though the rca input ?

thanks guys...

Thanks for that, plan on doing the turner mod, where abouts do you get that samsung turner from again ? in Melbourne ?

Matt.

Thanks again,
    one more quick question, the iso image that I need to copy onto a cd then onto the HDD is it this one :
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/im...release1.3.iso

I'm getting a HDR212 and putting a Seagate 200gb HDD in it, is that the right iso image ?

Thanks.

Thumbs up That's the one

Yes, that's the one. I think the "hdr112" in the filename refers to the TiVo model that Ed builds the images with. Despite that it will work with any of the Philips Series 1 Standalone TiVos (including your HDR212).

200Gb will mean about 60 hours of recording at Best quality.

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

awesome, can't wait...