Thread: Networking with Serial and keep alive

Networking with Serial and keep alive

Hey guys,
    I have just brought a second tivo and havent got a network card for it yet so am using a serial cable and PC.

My question is, can i keep the connection between the Tivo and the PC alive ? As soon as it is finnishing doing an update etc the conection closes. i have tried running a continued ping etc but no joy

thanks,
    JB

if you have choosen ppp over serial during the setup, the TiVo should not be the one to drop the connection.

Did you set PPP manually or did you use the installer?

If you used the installer, then I'd say it's most likely the pc side dropping out. What are you running it on (PC/MAC) and what OS.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply petestrash.

I am using Windows XP Standard serial connection.

Ok,

How about the first question ?

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Did you set PPP manually or did you use the installer?
    Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I did Neither ?
    Maybe Manually, i set the dial code to 211.
    Is there any extra configuration ?

Bash

My memory is a bit sketchy, but from the way you have configured it I think you are running both ppp over serial, as well as bash shell over serial.

Try disabling your ppp connection at the PC end, open hyperterminal and create a connection on the com port, 9600 with no flow control. Once you are at the empty terminal window, hit enter a couple of times - if you get a prompt then bash is running which is probably interferring with your ppp connection.

If this is the case, you need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and comment out the line with "shondss" (there is probably an easier way of configuring this, perhaps putting the drive back in your pc and using the oztivo installer to configure it?).

Goodluck

Catdog, you are a genius i could kiss you,,,,,, if i was that way inclined, which im not,,,, not that theres anything wrong with that.

Also thanks petestrash.

Sorry for the lack of follow up, I'm in Paris now and the hotel charges 6 euros for 30 minutes if WiFi or 30 Euro's for 24 hours. At those prices I don't have the spare funds for OzTiVo support. It was ok last week in Berlin as it was included in the apartment rent.

Good catch catdog, that is what I was getting at. The installer kills bash if you choose serial over ppp.

Peter.