Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Image suitable for UK TiVo

Image suitable for UK TiVo

Hi folks,

Just moved back to NZ, and while looking for a job, thought it would be a good time to get my TiVo sorted for use in Auckland. Well done to all you NZ TiVo / OzTivo folks as if I hadn't found this information before leaving for NZ, the TiVo would have been sold.....

My main question is this - I have a UK Thomson TiVo running sofware version 2.5.5, with a cachecard + RAM installed, and a single, new, 250Gb drive. With this in mind which disk image iso file should I use ?

Having seen the OzTiVo upload area, I then stumbled across the NZ section of the forums, and subsequently decided to use the Thomson specific image at this location ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images. However I used the version in the pre-release folder, as it had a later date (April 06 vs March 06), and didn't have "beta" in the filename.

Unfortunately it didn't work - I wasn't able to select the Thomson image for a start, but having left the swap file siz at 127Mb, it seemed to create the swap file, than gave an error after creating the file, and it was all over after less then a few minutes. Sure enough when I tried to set up the network options, the summary text file was reporting all sorts of missing files.

So after all this waffle, which is the best 1.5 image to use with a PVR10UK TiVo - the NZ specific Thomson image (beta) at the above location or OzTivo Philips, Sony or US models.

Please help.

Thanks

Red face Update

OK it seems I cannot successfully create an image of the NZ Thomson image outlined above. I have tried to burn another image at a slower speed, to no avail.

However, I have been able to successfully create a Philips OzTiVo image, and have since managed to install that on the TiVo HD. Having done that I am curious to know why the OzTiVo Maintainance splash screen says "v1.4".....I thought the version I downloaded was 1.5 - can anyone shed any light on that?

It's not very intuitive using Telnet - I hope I haven't managed to corrupt the rc.sysinit file by typing erroneous characters unawares.....(I was editing the file to correct a known issue in 1.5 with UK TiVo's only to find it wasn't v1.5 I have, or so it would appear)

Seems OK though - it boots, goes through the cachecard splash screen, and starts guided setup.

Thats as far as I can get it for now - Sky Digital to be installed tomorrow - I will hopefully finish the installation then.

Any comments welcome......

Quote Originally Posted by auren
    However, I have been able to successfully create a Philips OzTiVo image, and have since managed to install that on the TiVo HD. Having done that I am curious to know why the OzTiVo Maintainance splash screen says "v1.4".....I thought the version I downloaded was 1.5 - can anyone shed any light on that?
    Read here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...ntImageRelease
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Any comments welcome......
    Probably would have been alot easier using the NZ philips image, all the emulator setup and the like is done, and the splash is correct.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Thanks Darren, Doh! Should have seen that as I skimmed that page earlier today.

DJC -I agree using the NZ image would be better - could you help me by clarifying which image/file location is the most up to date for my UK Thomson TiVo ?

For some reason, the NZ image I used gave an error at the end of the 1027M decompression as the image was being copied to the TiVo HD in my PC. Any idea why that wouldn't work ? I burned the iso file to CD using the free version of Deep Burner together with my DVD burner. Obviously the OzTiVo image worked using the same method, so I'm a bit baffled....

One other question (if you don't mind) - I notice the video input options in the "howtoguide" show composite/s-video. As mine is a UK TiVo it only has the Euro SCART inputs/outputs. Any particular option I should choose during setup in light of this, or does that not matter.

Thanks guys.

Not sure which input is applicable as it has been a while since I have treid. You will soon know when you get to the video input connection options in Guided Setup as the TiVo will do a check for a valid signal and report this.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

OK thanks Darren

DJC -I agree using the NZ image would be better - could you help me by clarifying which image/file location is the most up to date for my UK Thomson TiVo ?
    The 1.5 based NZ philips and sony images have the necessary (scart) fixes to work on Thomson units.

Now, I've only worked with a thomson for short time, but I understand the NZ Thomson image currently has unpacking issues that are yet to be solved.

Jaidev was looking into this, he has a thomson unit, PM him perhaps to ask some questions there.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Thanks DJC - will do.

Yes that image you used has some unpacking issues that’s why I moved it to the pre-release folder. The one you should use is named nzTiVo-Thompson-Installer-BETA.iso which is in the "install_images" folder.
    The reason why it has BETA in the name is because one person reported problems with it, however I know a few others have used it successfully. Discussion about it here

Our image is based off the Aus pvr10uk.255.oztivo_emulator.release1.3beta image, which can be found on our ftp site in the "/install/oztivo_mfs/" folder, with NZ specific emulator and other scripts loaded..

I will re-check the image for the Thomson unit as I will have one to setup soon and will fix it if necessary..

Try the nzTiVo-Thompson-Installer-BETA.iso image and let me know how you go..
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...