Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Image suitable for UK TiVo

OK good news - I have made progress with the Thomson image! Thanks jaidev - tuned the TV to the TiVo RF ouput, and although the SCART o/p was blank, there was the picture. Annoyingly the start up default is not channel 60, it becomes that as part of the default setup if you don't change it. This means a bit of retuning is required when it switches to channel 60 early on in the setup, but hey ho. Odd that you get the "power up" and "Almost there a few more minutes" splash screens via SCART, then no more unless you use the RF o/p......odd

I have hit my first snag - the dial out is not working. I am a little baffled by this as I used the same settings on the Philips image when setting up the cachecard+RAM (static IP, DNS, MAC & gateway) and that worked fine.

I wonder whether the nzTiVo Thomson Beta image requires updating in terms of it's port addresses for the emulator ? I will check this, although the forum guide on this says that the"NZ images are pre-configured against port 8000, as of 11/3/06 (DJC). Any clarification or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to use the ,#401 prefix, but that didn't help either.

I can use hyperterminal to access the TiVo, so I assume that means the cachecard drivers are loaded and all is OK.

I am not a PC programmer by any means, and am a bit shy of hyperterm file edits, but could manage a few.

Any hints, tips, help, or links to appropriate forum discussions (in cased I missed any) would be most welcome.

Thanks guys.

PS 40Gb drive did not work, so I am "committed" to making this work given I have now deleted the mostly working philips image.....aaaaggghhh!

Update - ref the dialing problems above, I have edited the tcient.conf file as per the NZ Emulator thread, editing "minnie" to "orac" (some Blakes 7 fans around here it seems ) and edited the IP address underneath to read 127::210.48.107.133:8000

However ths didn't work either - still can't connect. What am I doing wrong ? Do I need to place a "#" before other lines to de-activate them, or is the IP/port address I have used now out of date?

The file also contains reference to the now infamous "Dennis", along with BT UUNET numbers and "Same numbers with leading zero's". Seems like this is not required anymore, but would any of this stop the dialout over Broadband working ?
    I wait with baited breath for your replies..................thanks guys.

and another thing.......I have played a little more - still no phone connection. After what seemed to be a very quick re-boot instigated from a hyperterm session, I removed the power to force a hard reset (may not have been the best thing to do I know..).

What I noticed (now I could see all the power up screens via the RF o/p) was that the cachecard writing/verifying/caching splash screens were missing - indeed startup was very short - just the "Powering Up" and "Just a few more minutes" grey screens before the blue GS screens appeared.

So depsite the hyperterm seesions working, I am now wondering whether the cachecard is operating - certainly the splash screens are missing and start up is very short as a result.

Does the nzTiVo Thomson Beta image contain CacheCard + RAM support ? I certainly configured the network connections before removing the drive from the machine (as with the Philips image), but as the Thomson image is based on the OzTiVo 1.3 image, maybe there's something I am missing/doing wrong, as the cachecard does not seem to working as it always has.

Hopefully over these three posts, you have enough clues as to what to suggest next........

Quote Originally Posted by auren
    Update - ref the dialing problems above, I have edited the tcient.conf file as per the NZ Emulator thread, editing "minnie" to "orac" (some Blakes 7 fans around here it seems ) and edited the IP address underneath to read 127::210.48.107.133:8000

However ths didn't work either - still can't connect. What am I doing wrong ?
    I set this image up by default with Turbonet drivers as I thought a majority of users won't have the cachecard.

Fix the network card first, thats probably the most likely issue..
    I think the menu options when imaging don't seem to work with the Thomson image. So from a telnet session just run the command

nic_install_tivo cachecard

this should bring up the install program for the netowrk card and prompt for its settings i.e. ip address
    Then reboot and see if you can make a daily call. You will need to reverse the changes you made to 'TClient.conf' first however..

if not then...

The image is setup to use emuProxy2 which helps connections with ISP's who use transparent proxies.

The tclient.conf file this setting..
    # This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy for NZ
    #Server emulator on Orac
    127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

And in /etc/rc.d/
    The rc.sysinit.author (at the end of file) runs the emuproxy2 program

emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

I'd suggest a reboot, and then do the command 'ps x' via a telnet session, then check to see if 'emuProxy2 is running on port 8000
    Then try initiate a daily call. If it doesn't work then comment out emuproxy from running in rc.sysinit.author, by putting a '#' in front of the line.

Then in tclient.conf as you have done, enter the line 127::210.48.107.133:8000
    I think it is already there (third one) just comment out the first 127 line and enable the third one.

You don't have to worry about the Dennis emulator entries, Dennis is the Emulator god from tivo Canada that wrote the Emulator code.
    Last edited by jaidev; 13-08-2006 at 09:49 PM.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Thanks jaidev - good info. Option one at least has allowed me to connect, although I am now getting a pink cachecard screen at reboot that says something like "Cachecard driver version error", and it doesn't seem to load as before, although it is now connecting to the emulator OK.

I might be able to dig out the correct drivers supplied with the card (whichever version gives the blue spashscreen at reboot as it cycles thru writing/verifying/caching), but I now have a few more questions:

How do I get the right drivers onto the TiVo disk ?
    How do I configure them - in the same way ?
    Once workng, should I still carry out the ammendments you suggest in the second half of your post, just to be safe for the future ?

Pls let me know.

Thanks

Get the latest native install files from here
    http://www.silicondust.com/nic_insta...o_20050218.zip

You can FTP the drivers to the tivo.. i.e. connect to your tivo ip address via a ftp client with anonymous login.

then follow these upgrade instructions.. the network install ones.. not serial lead.
    http://www.silicondust.com/forum/vie...asc&highlight=

Since you are connecting to the emulator fine I don't think you need to make any further adjustments to the dialing config.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80

Hi jaidev - many thanks. I have tried to follow the instructions, but I am not familiar with the ftp process.....at all. I know I am bascially copying a file to my TiVo, unpacking it, and then running it's config file but I don't actually know how to do it. There is too much assumed knowledge in the instructions you suggest - sorry!

I think I managed to create directory called tmp on my TiVo disk, then I fell over at the instruction "ftp file to /tmp", which looks like a generic statement (ie replace with real file name and location) but I am not sure what to do next.

I am using hyperterminal to connect to TiVo - is that right ? Is that the program to use for ftp transfer ?

Sorry for being a bit "basic" but I am reaching the end of my dusty knowledge here.

Thanks

No hyperterminal is just for telnet (command line) access while it is possible (crudely) to transfer it would be too hard to explain.

I suggest you download a free FTP program. http://www.smartftp.com
    download and install it.

Then start it up, once started you will see an Address bar:
    in here enter the ip address of your tivo, and press enter

You should be connected to you tivo and be able to see folders i.e. var, hack, etc.

Double click the folder ' hack ' then on the right side if you see an existing folder called 'nic_install_tivo_xxxxx' , right click it and then select delete.
    Then right click the fodler 'hack' again and select 'New' ---> 'Folder' name it something like 'cachecard'

Then click on 'FILE' --> 'Local Browser' this should open up another window pane on the right, with your local drives/folders listed.

Find the location where you downloaded nic_install_tivo_20050218.zip
    extract it, you should now have a file called nic_install_tivo_20050218.cpio

Then back in Smart FTP, using the 'Local Browser' window (far right windows pane) of SmartFTP, locate the file nic_install_tivo_20050218.cpio and then drag and drop it onto the folder you created called 'cachecard' on the left side, it should then transfer this file over to the tivo in the folder /hack/cachecard

Then using hyperterminal, connect back to your tivo, and on the command line type:

cd /var/hack/cachecard

Then continue on with the instructions at step 3.
    Last edited by jaidev; 14-08-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks jaidev - you are a star!!

All done, and cachecard (incl. startup splashscreens) all working correctly - daily call connected fine.

I would just like to thank all involved in this thread for your help - much appreciated. A move to MySky has been averted.......

One small final point - the TiVo clock is showing as an hour ahead of where it should be. I am sure I have seen some mention of this on the forum somewhere, but in case I don't find it quickly, would someone mind telling me (or pointing me to the appropriate thread) to allow me to sort out his minor remaining niggle.

Thanks guys.

As always soldiering on trying to get to the bottom of this minor issue. Below is an output from the TiVo log file using TiVo Web, clearly showing a postcode issue as mentioned in the "emulator clock too fast?" thread. Only trouble is I don't know what postcode files to load where to correct the situation.

Strange thing is TiVo Web time is correct as shown below, where the time shown on the TiVo under the System Info screen is an hour ahead. Maybe TiVo Web timing is taken from the pc clock ?

Aug 14 22:37:06 (none) syslogd 1.3-3: restart.
    Aug 14 22:48:36 (none) tnlited: Accepted connection from 192.168.1.10
    Aug 14 22:48:37 (none) tnlited: New connection from 192.168.1.10 assigned pty /dev/ttyp0
    Aug 14 22:49:04 (none) rtimetz[227]: rtimetz has started
    Aug 14 22:49:05 (none) rtimetz[227]: Our postcode is 02113
    Aug 14 22:49:05 (none) rtimetz[227]: No matching timezone for postcode 02113
    Aug 14 22:49:36 (none) tnlited: 192.168.1.10//dev/ttyp0: connection closed