Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Image suitable for UK TiVo

Thanks I will give it a go and report back in this thread. Good to know it's not something stupid I was doing!

One point of clarification - you say it is based on an oZTiVo 1.3 image - is the NZ Thomson Beta image you mention "only" v1.3 or is it in fact the most recent 1.5 release ?

Please let me know.

Thanks

I can shed some light on that.

The NZ sony and philips images are based on OzTivo's fine work at revision 1.5. (This is version 3.0 of the TiVo system system)

The NZ thomson is based on the ozTivo 1.3 revision of the thomson software. (This is version 2.5.5 or there abouts of the TiVo system software)
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Thanks for the clarification DJC.

I have now tried the Thomson Beta image as suggested by jaidev. The beta file unpacks fine, but now my machine won't power up properly. I get the "Powering Up" screen, followed by the "Almost there a few more seconds please" then the screen goes blank, and thats your lot - no oZTiVo or CacheCard splash screens just 10 minutes (thats when I gave up) or more of inky blackness.....

I can Telnet into the TiVo so the networking side appears to be up and running but otherwise I'm stumped.

Any suggestions ? In the meantime I think I will download the NZ Philips image instead, and see what happens. I will check thru the forums also.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by auren
    Thanks for the clarification DJC.
    followed by the "Almost there a few more seconds please" then the screen goes blank, and thats your lot - no oZTiVo or CacheCard splash screens just 10 minutes (thats when I gave up) or more of inky blackness.....

Thanks guys.
    Are you using Scart as the output to your TV? If you use the remote on the Tivo with the sound up can you hear the sound effects when you press the buttons on the remote, i.e. press the Tivo button, or guide button, left or right on the navigation circle.

If so then it is fine however the output is not showing on the TV.

I found on some installs you need to use RF out on the Thomson to your TV, then tune your TV into the Tivo output signal channel by searching from your TV channel setup menu's, this for the initial guided setup.

Then after guided setup you enter the Tivo "Messages and Settings menu --> Recorder and Phone settings --> Scart Settings" In this menu you need to select "RGB + PAL" some TV's need this to accept the Scart signal from the Tivo. You can also change the RF output channel from here.

You then need to enter your Sky digital box's menu system, default password is "0000" and adjust the output of the Scart to RGB..

You may need to adjust some of the other scart settings on the Tivo to get it to work correctly, but try the above first.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

Angry

Hello Folks,

Now running the nzTiVo Philips image on my UK Thomson model. A few issues:

1. It has crashed a few times during guided setup and corrupted the image, so I have had to re-image the disk three times (so far)

2. During the first session with this image, it was controlling the Pace Sky Dig. STB fine - just now (on the third re-image) it only seemed to be sending zero's - strange. I hope that problem goes away without needing yet another re-image......

I am concerned by the "crashing" and having read many posts on this forum concerning this, I am convinced I need a Thomson specific NZ modified image. Apart from other users reporting "rock solid" performance with the Thomson image (as I am used to), I suspect I am now only getting composite video outputs, as opposed to the RGB output I was used to.

I have left the TiVo updating itself, as I want to get it out of maintainance mode before I fine tune the setup (hoping it will be more stable then)

Anyone able to help ? Please ?

See my recent post above, and let me know your results, yea reimage time again
    Connect the RF out from the tivo and tune to a TV channel for the initial setup, you should be able to switch to Scart after setup.

If it comes down to it and nothing as above works, then you could load the oztivo thomson image and just make the small modifications required for NZ, I can guide you through it..

Bedtime... I'll check on u tom..
    Last edited by jaidev; 11-08-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80

Thanks Jaidev. As of now, I have a fully working TiVo, based on the nzTiVo Philips image (another re-image....) It took some doing (as per my previous posts), but having re-booted a couple of times to bring it out of maintainance mode, all seems to be working, controlling the box Pace Sky box OK.

A couple of small issues:-

1. The animated TiVo opening sequence loses sound half way thru (not a big problem I know...)
    2. The unit no longer responds to the standby remote command anymore (again not a big problem)

Can you tell me is my TiVo running RGB SCART inputs / outputs with the Philips image ? I would suspect not based on my own channel comparisons, but I would like to know for sure.

Here is the one million dollar question though:

In your opinion, would I be better off with the 1.3/2.5.5 Thomson image (is it worth making the change ?)

If that is the only way to get my SCARTS RGB enabled again then that would be good enough reason for me, but can I not correct that in the Philips image I have ?

I would be happier with a Thomson image (if I/we can make it work) but I just want to understand whether you think that in all honesty it is a better bet or not.

If so, I may image the old TiVo 40Gb drive (which I still have kicking around) with the nzTiVo Beta, and try your suggestions above. That way I can keep the existing image intact, and just swap the Philips image based drive back if anything goes wrong. Is there any technical reason I shouldn't do that?

If it turns out the Thomson image is OK (and you recommend it), only then would I (sigh) re-image the new 250Gb drive, which is currently running the Philips image.

Thanks for all your support. BTW if it would be quicker to have a quick phone chat, please drop me a PM and we can arrange a mutually convenient time.

Thanks Jaidev

The animated tivo opening losing sound halfway is normal, the original image is based off a US Philips Tivo so it was produced in NTSC format.

I think only the Thomson unit responds to the standby remote command, the rest you have to enter standby from the menu's.

I think your Tivo will be outputting S-Video or Composite via the scart, not RGB only the Thomson outputs true RGB.

It's entirely upto you if you want to go through the reimage process, I have only heard of a couple of installs with stability issues running a Philips image on the Thomson. You'd also then get RGB signal you want.
    Out of all the Tivo's I have the Thomson is my fav.

Your best bet would be to try and reimage the 40GB drive you have with the Thomson image and see if that works, with the Thomson image there is a minimum size drive you need to restore to, I know it doesn't restore to a 30GB drive, you get the "Restore failed: First target drive too small" error.
    I'm not sure what size it was created from. But give it a shot on your 40GB, if you get the error then you know the drive is to small for that image.

I would also suggest trying to get the UK image working as the v2.5.5 software does not experience the event bug found in the v3.0 software on the US images.

It should also be noted that the standard UK software will default to an RF output on channel 60... which can clash with an existing broadcast (in Wellington it clashes with Prime), so you may need to change the output channel from the command line. The following script will do this, just call it with the channel number that you wish to try (I'd suggest something in the 22-38 range).

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh

set db [dbopen]
    if {$argc == 0} {
      RetryTransaction {
        set lconfig  [db $db open /Setup]
        set ch [dbobj $lconfig get RFOutputChannel]
      }
    } else {
      set ch [lindex $argv 0]
      RetryTransaction {
        set lconfig  [db $db open /Setup]
        dbobj $lconfig set RFOutputChannel $ch
      }
    }
    dbclose $db

set rfo 0x8a480004
    set rfo [expr $rfo|((303+($ch*8))<<4)]
    set rfo [format "%#x" $rfo]

exec iicsetnosub 0xca $rfo

Thanks guys - OK I'll give it another go. The Thomson shipped with a 40Gb drive as standard so it should image OK, unless the nzTiVo beta image is significantly bloated, which I would doubt.

One point - my Sky box is already sending RGB to the TiVo, but I suspect the TiVo is "downgrading" it to composite on the TV output, due to the Philips image (s-video is b&w as other users have reported)

I have had one or two minor crashes/lockups with the Philips image in 24 hrs, although for the most part it is OK, but the stability plus the benfit of RGB scart enabling is enough to get me wanting to give the Thomson image another try.

Fingers crossed.....I'll keep you updated.