Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from NZ legacy to current emulator

Moving from NZ legacy to current emulator

I'm keen to see a sucessful test and document of the procedure for moving from the NZ legacy port 80 emulator, to the current port 8000 emulator.

As such we need a volunteer who is running on the legacy system to try it out the move, work the issues and post results.

Previously the logo slice on the new system has been a problem, but Warren from the Oz team has written a small tcl script that resets/removes logos. He reports success, but we haven't tried it on the NZ system.

Any takers?
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

Smile

This is probably not at all helpful, but recently I suffered a major death of the mfs system, so my TiVo just had a rebuild. It was quite painless - thanks to thomson, and now - since I lost everything anyway - I'm back on the dev emulator

Quote Originally Posted by redted
    I'm back on the dev emulator
    Heh, ok thats one way, any others.. :P

Futher to DJC's post please document your procedure on the nztivo.net wiki...
    TiVo Series 1 Thompson PVR10UK Unit, Dual 250Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, NZ Emulator Port 8000
    TiVo Series 1 Sony SVR2000 unit, Dual 300Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Philips FTA Tuner, NZ Emulator Port 80
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, Dual 160Gb, Turbonet, FTA Tuner, Private Emulator
    TiVo Series 1 Philips unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Dev Emulator, Development Unit...
    DTiVo Series 1 Philips DSR6000 unit, 120Gb, Turbonet, Work in progress...

I'm currently on 210.48.107.133:80 (the Legacy emulator).
    I'll do the clear and delete everything test to move to the other emulator - 210.48.107.133:8000.

But first I'm (currenlty) FTP'ing off the kid's and wife's programmes - so I don't get myself in too much trouble.

I'll do the documentation also.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

A few months back when we had problems with Ed's emulator I got away with changing to the port 8000 emulator, grabbing the logo slice, then switching to port 80, which at the time was the active port, all without doing a clear and delete.
    Just tried switching to port 8000 again, partly to get the MTV station listing and logo, partly to test the process, didn't do a clear and delete, got 'failed call' not surprising really! Switched back to port 80 again and all seems ok. Can't see when I'll be allowed to do a clear and delete this side of a HDD failure! Sons tivo has much less on it, so might have a go on that one.

Tony sounds like you are in the configuration that we are trying to test moving from legacy to 8000. Except that you say you have logos from the 8000 emulator? Have you modified the logos by hand since?

Warren from oztivo has written script to remove all logos from a tivo, the tests that woudl be good to run are.

1. Remove logos from tivo, try 8000.

2. I'll remove the IR slice from the hidden dev emulator and you try to move to that (its a basically a copy of the main 8000 emulator we use for testing)

This will tell us where the problems lie and give some definitive answers to the community as to what we can and can't do in terms of switching. I guess if it goes west I'll have a look at manually editing the old headends.

Over to you really, always the (slim ) chance of something going wrong.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite

Set up of my two tivos is as follows:

Main tivo: Oztivo v1.4 image, running on legacy emu, logo's sourced from 8000 emu when that was dev. emu, no new logo's added by hand, but I have had to re shuffle them a couple of time when they all switched to cartoon network on their own! Lots of programmes, season passes etc ,so clear and delete not really an option. At some point I want to reimage with NZ image, but that won't happen till forced by a crash!

Son's tivo: NZ image, running on legacy emu (surprised that the NZ image points to port 80, didn't realise till last night) logo's sourced from port 80 I assume, as it's never been connected anywhere else! not much in the way of programmes etc on the drive, so a clear and delete isn't a big issue and if it all turns to custard, a reimage wouldn't be a major loss.

Let me know what you'd like me to do, I'm probably an ideal guinea pig, as I have enough knowledge to do the basics ie move emulators, re run GS etc, but not enough to do what I see as the difficult stuff like ftp'ing files onto tivo etc

More than happy to give it a go, I had a lot of help from the Oz/NZ tivo community, it'll be good to put something back in!

Sounds like your sons tivo will be the ticket.

I'll PM you details on the hidden dev emu.

Hey DJC...,

While TONYS is doing his test should I go ahead with a test of the 'clear and delete all' path?

I was going to get in right now and do it (after my pie for lunch), but then noticed your 'conversation' with TONYS.

Sean.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

It going to be at least a few days before I have the time to do my test.........