Thread: Update Change Hard Drives.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Update Change Hard Drives.

Can I use Nortons Ghost to clone my TiVO hard drive? I got a bunch of 300G drives that I now can't put in 7200.9

But I have some 250G drives that I want to put in. So can I clone the 120G drive in my TiVO now to a 250G? And then I follow the wiki for putting in the 2nd drive? Or is there some other method for cloning drive 1 to a new drive?

Quote Originally Posted by daggo
    Can I use Nortons Ghost to clone my TiVO hard drive? I got a bunch of 300G drives that I now can't put in 7200.9

But I have some 250G drives that I want to put in. So can I clone the 120G drive in my TiVO now to a 250G? And then I follow the wiki for putting in the 2nd drive? Or is there some other method for cloning drive 1 to a new drive?
    Boot of one of the network/image CD's and use one of the following commands to copy the contents of the master (hda) to the slave (hdb):

Code:
    mfsbackup -l 32 -6so - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb
      <or>
    mfstool backup -aqo - /dev/hda | mfstool restore -r 4 -s 127 -pxi - /dev/hdb

Thanks mate.

And for the record Norton's Ghost will not work on TiVo drives, because it requires booting windows which will write to any attached TiVo drive making it unbootable.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm about to do the move from a 30Gb to 250Gb drive. The problem I can see is the swap partition size. Is there a way to copy from one drive to another and end up with a larger swap partition?

cheers

Paul

The default swap should be 127 if you used the installer CD and did not alter the swap value. This size is also OK for a 250GB hard disk.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm about to do the move from a 30Gb to 250Gb drive. The problem I can see is the swap partition size. Is there a way to copy from one drive to another and end up with a larger swap partition?
    The problem this OP was talking about, but did not mention specifically is that Seagate 7200.9 drives 250GB+ won't work in a dual drive TiVo.

See Seagate_7200_9_hard_drives_over.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    And for the record Norton's Ghost will not work on TiVo drives, because it requires booting windows which will write to any attached TiVo drive making it unbootable.

Peter
    No not really. If you make a Nortons boot disk (cd or floppy) it boots up into IBM DOS. The winblows add-on still makes the pcs that Nortons is on boot up in IBM DOS. It just makes it easier for people who can't/won't make floppy boot disk.

I'll use the method above and after that I'll give the Nortons a test on a spare drive to see if any damage happens.

Matt.