Thread: All things I/O.....

All things I/O.....

G'Day,

I have read all the FAQ's etc, but still have a couple of things that are not 100% clear for me:

1. I am going to connect a digtial STB for FTA and Foxtel to the TiVo. However I cannot seem to find a picture of the inputs (& outputs) on the back of the Series1. Anybody got a picture handy? I just want to see where things will connect to the TiVo
    2. Will the TiVo do 5.1 as an output? Is this S/PDif / Coax / Optical?
    3. I realise I can only record a single show at a time. But just to be sure. The IRBlaster can select the appropriate channel on the STB or Foxtel *and* the TiVo choose the correct input?
    4. Getting things on and off the TiVo via CAT5 seems doable. Just wondering what version of Linux or OS is running on the TiVO?

TIA

Hi and welcome. Answers as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge
    1. I am going to connect a digtial STB for FTA and Foxtel to the TiVo. However I cannot seem to find a picture of the inputs (& outputs) on the back of the Series1. Anybody got a picture handy? I just want to see where things will connect to the TiVo
    My website has pictures. It will also show you the necessary "2nd audio mod" you will need to have had done to your TiVo to allow two external STB's to be hooked up at once. See this page: http://www.members.westnet.com.au/ki...ndaudiomod.htm

The two audio connectors highlighted in pink are the additional ones that are not on a stock TiVo and will have to be on yours for your requirements to work. Without this mod you can have only one external input.

2. Will the TiVo do 5.1 as an output? Is this S/PDif / Coax / Optical?
    No. 2 channel analogue (L/R) is all you will get. The hardware does not support anything else.

3. I realise I can only record a single show at a time. But just to be sure. The IRBlaster can select the appropriate channel on the STB or Foxtel *and* the TiVo choose the correct input?
    Yes. That is correct.

4. Getting things on and off the TiVo via CAT5 seems doable. Just wondering what version of Linux or OS is running on the TiVO?
    This is the biggest misconception about TiVo. While they run on a "sort of" stripped down linux OS the application (called "My World") is proprietary to TiVo, inc. If we had the source for My World we could do a whole lot more hacking and customising wise.

Hope that helps answer some things.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Darren,

- Thanks for the replies. Missed the picture on your website when I did my research
    - Couple of other questions:

1. It is obviously possible to select the input (in my case FTA STB or Foxtel) you want to watch via the ToVo remote and the audio output will switch to that?
    2. If I am watching Fox through the TiVo can it be recording FTA STB at the same time?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge
    1. It is obviously possible to select the input (in my case FTA STB or Foxtel) you want to watch via the ToVo remote and the audio output will switch to that?
    Yes. The TiVo maps each channel for each box, and knows what input to switch to automatically when you select that channel.

2. If I am watching Fox through the TiVo can it be recording FTA STB at the same time?
    No. TiVo hardware only supports the recording of a total of ONE input at a time. Even watching live TV is actually being recorded into a continuous 30-minute buffer. This cannot be changed at neither software or hardware level.

You can, however, be recording one program while watching the same one at a different point (the so-called "tme shifting") or you can be recording one program while watching another pre-recorded program.
    Darren King

Just updated my webpage with those Q&A on 2nd Audio modding and recording two programs and IR questions. It's been asked a few times so hopefully the additional text helps.
    Darren King