Thread: Guided setup stalling on "connecting" during final call.

Guided setup stalling on "connecting" during final call.

Hi,

New to the forums, long time Tivo user

Up until recently my Series 1 Tivo with Pal tuner has been working perfectly.
    Now, I wanted to activated the s-video so I could record some footage from my xbox360.
    So i went into the system reset tab and chose guided setup, this brought initial guided setup screen at which point I pressed select to continue, it then went straight back to Tivo Central
    So I tried it and again same thing, power cycled the tivo, tried again.. same thing.
    Now at this point the Tivo is in a semi vegitative state, I cant watch TV (just shows black screen then blue "cant find channel" screen, but i can watch programs that I have previously recorded.

I spent a few minutes searching the net and found a page that mentioned the best way to run guided setup was thru the web interface using the "Pal Ntsc" page, I did that, rebooted the Tivo and guide setup came up. This time I was able to follow thru all the prompts and enabling the s-video port as AV on channel 0 (just as i wanted).
    I didnt think much of it at the time but it didnt give me the option to choose my channels via the tuner ( now I think this may be something to do with the initial failed GS).
    It did the intial "phone call" without a hitch, but when it comes to the final call it just hangs on "connecting" forever (have left it for hours). If i run thru the GS and choose only antenna it says it cannot find any channels and then doesnt continue.
    I have power cycled the Tivo numerous times and rechecked all the plugs. My tivo gets its tv signal via the tivo's tuner (which is plugged into the wall outlet) so i know the aerial is working as it should be.

I can still get into the tivo to watch saved episodes by turn of the GS on reboot in the "PAL NTSC" page in the web interface. But i still cant watch live tv and all my guide data is gone..

Im at a loss now as what to do next, so came here hoping to find some expert advice

My gut feeling the fix will involved editing some ini file via telnet to get the tivo out of the GS mode that it got itself into intially, then the other GS will go thru properly.

Thanks heaps in advance.

p.s. sorry for the small essay.. but more info is better then "my tivo is broke"

Hi

I found your problem right here:

Quote Originally Posted by DaForce
    If i run thru the GS and choose only antenna it says it cannot find any channels and then doesnt continue.
    You never EVER select "Antenna". This is explained here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...enna_A_V_Users

Redo Guided Setup again.

Hope that helps
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

hahahah its right...i do feel and look silly

But it WORKS!!

Thanks heaps mate.

One quick further question that you might be able to help me with.

I have my xbox 360 plugged into the s-video port and its not showing up on channel 0 on the tivo... I have confirmed the s-video is working from the xbox360 by plugging it into the tv.
    Any ideas?

Does the X360 output a 100% conforming PAL video signal? If it is not to the video standards the TiVo wants to see then the TiVo won't know how to interpret it.

And you may be disappointed anyway especially if you are going to play games, because there is an approximate 1 second lag between what a TiVo sees on the input to what comes out of it. This is because the TiVo has to digitize the signal, place it onto the hard disk, read it off of the hard disk and then turn it back into an analogue video output. There is no way around this.
    Darren King

HMm to be honest i dont know of the pal standards it outputs.. i have tried it on pal 50 and pal 60 (the only option i can change) and it made no difference.

No I didnt want to to play games.. i just wanted to record some footage of it. If i were to play games i would either plug it in directly to the TV or use the VGA adapter to get HiDef thru my monitor

I guess the Tivo just doesnt like the xbox360 output

Darren,

Just thought you would like to know after a bit of fiddling an a couple of GS runs the tivo is now displaying the xbox360 output

Thanks for you help.

Good to know. So what did you do differently to make it spring into life?
    Darren King

Well thats the thing... i dont know exactly. I had testing everything so many times...

I have tried both pal 50 and pal 60 (xbox360 setting) numerous times.. and nothing.. then when i took it into work it suddenly started working after we changed to the 2nd output. But then the sound was all messed up.. just pure static when the compsoite video was in.
    So, redid the guided setup using AV this time and it work fine.

Will do some "reverse engineering" as it were, once the tivo has finished recording to see if i can find out exactly what caused it to not work.

But I managed to record some PGR3 footage just fine. so all is well

Thanks again, will update if i find anything more specific