Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel change problems

Channel change problems

Hi all,

I've been trying to setup an SVR2000 with a YESS DVB-T1288 STB. I'm using the IR blaster as supplied by Darren King. I haven't been able to get reliable channel changing on the STB. It seems to randomly miss digits. If I change the Tivo to channel 21 I may end up with 2, 1, 21 or no channel change at all. I've tried various positions of the IR blaster. It only seems to work at all mounted directly over the sensor on the STB. Just 10mm away and I get nothing. I've tried covering the STB to eliminate IR interference. I've tried moving equipment and cableing around to minimise electrical interference. I've changed TunerDigitDelay between 150 and 800 with no effect. I've tried using 2,3 and 4 digits. I'm considering finding the current limit resistor in the Tivo and reducing it's value. Has anybody tried this before? Do some IR blasters work better than others? I'm fresh out of ideas so any suggestions are welcome.

cheers

Paul

Hi Paul. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Do some IR blasters work better than others?
    Not really. But there are lots of other external factors that may be causing this too. The most prominent one being that the codes may not have been captured right in the first place. What happens if you point the STB directly at the "eye" in the centre fron panel of the TiVo? There is an IR Blaster in there too. Do you get the same result..... or better.... or worse?

I'm considering finding the current limit resistor in the Tivo and reducing it's value. Has anybody tried this before?
    Yes. If you want to reduce the life of your IR blaster this is the sure fire way of doing so.

I'm sure if you contact me off list we can work something out to establish where the root problem is. Unfortunately I cannot initiate this as I know many people by the name "Paul" and have sold many IR blasters
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I agree with Darren, The first thing you should try is pointing the TiVo directly at the STB (or VV). The IR LED in the front of the TiVo is very powerful, so if the codes are ok you should have no problem changing channels. This will help resolve whether you have a fault with the IR blaster cable (very rare).

Is the TiVo having problems changing channels when recording, or just when you are manually channel surfing.

Also is it mainly occuring with just particular digit pairs or fairly consistent regardless of what digit is pressed.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I've tried channel changing with the STB directly facing the Tivo and the results are the same. With the distance increased to approx 100mm or more I get no channel changes at all so it looks like the problem is with the captured codes, not the hardware. Next I'll try to capture the codes myself. Is irSliceCreator the prefered method?

yes, IrSliceCreator is currently the best option. It's flaky, but still better than most others if you don't have a good code to convert from.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Next problem

I've followed the instructions as per http://131.244.9.101/twiki/bin/view/...IrSliceCreator. The problem I've hit is that when I try to capture the first code (option 3) I just get left back at the menu, as if I'd selected in invalid option. My knowledge of linux is too weak to work through the script, any suggestions?

What telnet program are you using?

Peter.

Putty, over the LAN from my laptop.

I've also noticed that in "the how" to the "keys captured" setting line shows:

Keys Captured: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

When I try the "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 " is missing. Don't know if this is significant or not

cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Paul; 03-06-2006 at 04:45 PM.

in PuTTY, go to change settings>Connection>Telnet and uncheck 'Return keysends Telnet New Line instead of ^M'

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    in PuTTY, go to change settings>Connection>Telnet and uncheck 'Return keysends Telnet New Line instead of ^M'
    OK tried that but the results was the same as before