Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking Problem

Networking Problem

G,day everyone

I am still having problems trying to get my Tivo to do a test call

I can get the bash prompt from tivo using putty over my network using the turbonet card. Using "[TiVo [p0] ~]# bootpage -p /dev/hda " The folowing reply was recieved"root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=1"

What i am not shore about is why it says false,i thought the oztivo image was set up for turbonet cards.Dose this mean there is a problem with my card
    or is it as simple as changeing false to true.. if so how do i do this??

cheers Jon

Jon

Try and keep your posts to one thread rather than begin another one.

If you are the person who contacted me by phone a few weeks ago then I can offer no more suggestions if you have already tried with your modem and a DHCP router and set up the TiVo for DHCP server assigned networking (the default setting). It may be a proxy issue but I cannot say.

What I can say however is the "ideturbo=false" response has NOTHING to do with networking. It is a setting for the hard disk transfer and should not be altered.

You may want to try the command nic_config_tivo and see what that says about your TiVo network settings
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thanks Darren

yes it was me how rang you,still trying to nut this problem out!!!
    sorry for opening a new thread but got no replys to my initial question and did not know how to continue.

I tried nic_config_tivo and all seems in order...well as far as i can tell anyway

I tried the above test as advised by another member(Jeff) who thought the output should look somthing like this;root=/dev/hda4 TV_STD=PAL GS=0 netcard=turbonet.

So anyone got any ideas why mine is different,and is there any other way to
    confirm what tivo is seeing as far as a network card...

I have added my original question,hope this helps

I am having a fue problems getting my tivo past the first test call in
    guided setup and was hoping someome might be able to give me some advice.
    The tivo is a thompson uk10 tivo which i had working in the uk,i managed
    to upgrade the drive and add a turbonet card,which all worked well i used
    tivoweb though the network card many times..now i am back home i have
    fitted a new drive with firstly the philips image then the sony image.both
    with no joy..

I have spent many hours reading oztivo forum and the mailing list and
    have tried all the networking tests in oztivo network how to. but am still at a
    loss.On both images i have been able to connect to my tivo using putty over
    the network and the results seemed to be ok. tivo replied to pings and i was
    able to wget from oztivo.

At the monent i have tivo connected to a (d-link DL-614+) Wireless broadband
    router(via cable) which is connected to my DSL Modem (ZYXEL660RU-TI).My pc
    is networked to the router.

I also read that the isp could be a problem so also tried using Two other
    isp in perth bigpond dialup and DSL and iinet DSL all giving the same problem
    i could not get tivoweb to work but i think this is because i have not
    finished the guides setup...

Is there any other tests or checks i can do...or am i just missing something simple!!!

Any help would be much apriciated

Quote Originally Posted by JON
    I tried the above test as advised by another member(Jeff) who thought the output should look somthing like this;root=/dev/hda4 TV_STD=PAL GS=0 netcard=turbonet.
    That output was used a couple of years ago. We no longer use this syntax for Bootpage.

The output you listed "root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=1" is correct for a current image TiVo that has not completed guided setup.

I think I have an idea what might be wrong

Exactly what values are you entering for program source, Zip code, and Area code before the guided setup tries to make the first call?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi Peter

I have been using 06000 as zip code,008 as area code and have selected cable as the Program Source.

cheers Jon

My hunch was wrong then

Are you sure you haven't selected antenna as source. The symptoms you describe are exactly what happens if you select antenna by mistake.

Failing that can you try taking your TiVo to a friends house and use their ADSL to see if you could complete Guided setup.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

you made me think,so double checked and it is definatly using cable. is it worth trying any other setting.

also have tried mates cable broadband to try to complete guided set up with no luck...tried it about ten times actually!!! and originally i was using bigpond dial up..thought it might be that so joined iinet broad band.still no luck

dont supose you have any other ideas???

thanks again

jon

Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Someone has recently complained that iinet have proxies which were blocking calls, but as far as i'm aware bigpond that you tried should work fine.

Since you have telnet access, maybe you can try doing a GS again and then after it fails copy the tclient.log to a zip file and post it here.

Peter.

Is it possible to get a log of the GS using putty over the network or do i have to use a telnet program.(what is a good program)and dose this have to be done using serial cable

Quote Originally Posted by JON
    Is it possible to get a log of the GS using putty over the network or do i have to use a telnet program.(what is a good program)and dose this have to be done using serial cable
    Putty is a telnet program and is perfect for this use.

Type "cat /var/log/tclient"

And then copy the output to notepad or a word processor, save the file, zip it, then post it here.

I'm only assuming the call for GS is in tclient, as I have never needed to check before.

Peter.